Who would win a 7 game playoff series, Toronto or Boston?

Who would win a 7 game playoff series?

• Toronto would win the series

Votes: 267 33.5%
  • Boston would win the series

Votes: 531 66.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/closer-look-auston-matthews-struggles-post-season/sn-amp/

If you bother to read, feel free to chalk it up to brain-washing Leafs propaganda if you want. I personally think it was easy to see that Matthews was injured in the playoffs last season.
When did he get re-injured ?

His production in the nine games he played after coming back from his injury in the regular season (6 goals, 7 assists) is not what you expect from an injured player...

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
15 games left and there's literally like a 99% chance they play each other in the first round. Thanks, NHL.

Reactions: Neely2005

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
and Yet you're STILL ignoring the improvements that Boston. The only thing that i have done is point out to Leafs fans who say ""the Leafs have added Tavares and the Bruins have added nothing, therefore we are better""
i have read that comment over a dozen times in the past week

and yet you guy's still manage to cherry pick only part of my comment and completely ignore "We added Coyle, Johansson, Moore, Halak, Wagner, Nordstrom (plus healthy Carlo)." like you have done and will continue to do so.

it's incredible how ignorant you are (I wonder if you're going to ignore the fact that the Bruins are a much different team than last year. A much better team than last year)
And yet here you are ignoring the great point they raised re offensive production...

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
When did he get re-injured ?

His production in the nine games he played after coming back from his injury in the regular season (6 goals, 7 assists) is not what you expect from an injured player...

To be honest, I have no idea how he put up that many points because I remember him looking like half the player he was before the injury.

Perhaps it was weak competition? 10 of those points came in 6 games against non-playoff teams (5 points in 2 games against Buffalo alone). Only 3 points came against playoff teams (NSH, WPG, and NJ).

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/closer-look-auston-matthews-struggles-post-season/sn-amp/

If you bother to read, feel free to chalk it up to brain-washing Leafs propaganda if you want. I personally think it was easy to see that Matthews was injured in the playoffs last season.

“My guess”, “it’s possible” , “maybe it’s Chara but I think it’s not”. All words used in this article.

This is literally a guys opinion :laugh: how the hell is this any kind of proof? Unless you think his high danger scoring chances going from like 1.1 to 0.8 is undeniable proof he was injured...?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
To be honest, I have no idea how he put up that many points because I remember him looking like half the player he was before the injury.

Perhaps it was weak competition? 10 of those points came in 6 games against non-playoff teams (5 points in 2 games against Buffalo alone). Only 3 points came against playoff teams (NSH, WPG, and NJ).

So he was PPG against playoff teams prior to injury? Far cry from his 2 in 7 against the Bruins

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
“My guess”, “it’s possible” , “maybe it’s Chara but I think it’s not”. All words used in this article.

This is literally a guys opinion :laugh: how the hell is this any kind of proof? Unless you think his high danger scoring chances going from like 1.1 to 0.8 is undeniable proof he was injured...?

Well, if you actually watched the games instead of box score watched, you probably would've noticed Matthews became much more of a perimeter player when he returned from injury, and just wasn't the same.

Regardless, this whole thing came about because a Bruins poster tried to blame injuries on why the Leafs were able to make it past 5 games. I countered with the fact that basically every team has players playing with injuries in the playoffs, and simply used Matthews as an example.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Well, if you actually watched the games instead of box score watched, you probably would've noticed Matthews became much more of a perimeter player when he returned from injury, and just wasn't the same.

Regardless, this whole thing came about because a Bruins poster tried to blame injuries on why the Leafs were able to make it past 5 games. I countered with the fact that basically every team has players playing with injuries in the playoffs, and simply used Matthews as an example.

So he was scared to get hit? Seems to be a similar issue that many Leaf fans are pointing out with him since Kronwall destroyed him. I’m not sure that’s exactly a defense?

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
think Kapanen getting more 5 on 5 minutes this year vs last where his impact was mostly shorthanded, I think we have too much speed and skill. Having said that, bad goaltending + refs letting both teams get away with murder, will hurt Leafs elite PP.
Leafs do not really have an elite PP, at least not recently. They are the least penalized team in the league which will actually help when playoffs come because they’re so used to not getting calls.

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
Leafs do not really have an elite PP, at least not recently. They are the least penalized team in the league which will actually help when playoffs come because they’re so used to not getting calls.

I don't look at PP% more than I do XGF and CF of the PP. The Leafs expected goals and chances generated on the PP has been mostly consistent and elite (I believe top 2 last time I checked) but they had a slump for about a month that has them hovering at around 8-10th in the league in conversion.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
So he was scared to get hit? Seems to be a similar issue that many Leaf fans are pointing out with him since Kronwall destroyed him. I’m not sure that’s exactly a defense?

Doesn't matter. All I'm getting at is that if a Bruins fan can use players playing injured in the playoffs as an excuse, so can Leafs fans, and fans of any other team.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
The Bruins fixed their secondary scoring and are no longer a "one line team"

1)Krejci/Debrusk/Heinen On fire
2)Added Coyle/ Johansson(2x 40-50 pts players)
3)Added key roll players (pk, grinders) :Nordstrom, Wagner
4)Added a #4 Defensemen : Moore, but the Bruins have so much depth that he's their #7
5)Added possibly the best backup : Halak

6)Bergeron/Marchand are having career years.

The Bruins literally dont have any weaknesses. They may not have the Leafs potent offense and the leafs offense is better BUT the Bruins roster is far more balance and has a better 2-way game. The Bruins also have superior defense & defensive depth vs the Leafs Offensive depth.

All out offense (Leafs) vs perfectly balanced Team (Bruins)

2 different approaches.

We can argue to death which strategy is better but everyone has their subjective biases, the end.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Boston looks like a team of destiny right now. They can’t lose. Leafs should be very worried.

And they are about to make the biggest deadline acquisition there is.....Pasta

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Doesn't matter. All I'm getting at is that if a Bruins fan can use players playing injured in the playoffs as an excuse, so can Leafs fans, and fans of any other team.

How can you guys use injuries as an excuse when, IIRC, the Leafs had their full line up and you're just guessing that your best player was injured because he played bad?

The Bruins had real, undeniable injuries.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
How can you guys use injuries as an excuse when, IIRC, the Leafs had their full line up and you're just guessing that your best player was injured because he played bad?

True. There are no reports from last year saying that Matthews was playing injured in last year's playoffs.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Bruins fixed their secondary scoring and are no longer a "one line team"

1)Krejci/Debrusk/Heinen On fire
2)Added Coyle/ Johansson(2x 40-50 pts players)
3)Added key roll players (pk, grinders) :Nordstrom, Wagner
4)Added a #4 Defensemen : Moore, but the Bruins have so much depth that he's their #7
5)Added possibly the best backup : Halak

6)Bergeron/Marchand are having career years.

The Bruins literally dont have any weaknesses. They may not have the Leafs potent offense and the leafs offense is better BUT the Bruins roster is far more balance and has a better 2-way game. The Bruins also have superior defense & defensive depth vs the Leafs Offensive depth.

All out offense (Leafs) vs perfectly balanced Team (Bruins)

2 different approaches.

We can argue to death which strategy is better but everyone has their subjective biases, the end.

To claim the Bruins don’t have weaknesses is fairly absurd. Coyle is fine as player but he’s not a
Lin driver. The Bruins have depth issues compared to the Leafs

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
To claim the Bruins don’t have weaknesses is fairly absurd. Coyle is fine as player but he’s not a
Lin driver. The Bruins have depth issues compared to the Leafs

No they dont have depth issues (stop believing everything Toronto media propaganda tells you)

And you keep forgetting about Defensive Depth (which Toronto literally has none) and a quality backup goalie (which Toronto does not have)

Reactions: Snowman

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Babcock said he wasn't playing 100%.
When Matthews was hurt in November last year he never fully recovered for the rest of the season+ playoffs.

https://www.bardown.com/babcock-rev...inks-held-matthews-back-this-season-1.1070038

If you keep reading, Matthew's himself said there wasnt any injury issue that was holding him back from playing his best...

His play from November on last season is essentially the same hes playing now too... maybe this is just his norm?

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN

Nobody should be using injuries as an excuse because every team has players playing injured by the time playoffs roll around. This is the point I'm trying to make, as it's simply incorrect to say the Bruins would've won in 5 if they were completely healthy (it's just a weak excuse for almost losing in 7).

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Nobody should be using injuries as an excuse because every team has players playing injured by the time playoffs roll around. This is the point I'm trying to make, as it's simply incorrect to say the Bruins would've won in 5 if they were completely healthy (it's just a weak excuse for almost losing in 7).

Except what "injuries" were the Leafs dealing with in their series other than fans guessing Matthews was to excuse his terrible play (which btw he himself came out and said he wasnt injured).

It's a fact that the Bruins were missing their #4D the whole series, their #1C and best player for one game, and their #3C for a few.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Except what "injuries" were the Leafs dealing with in their series other than fans guessing Matthews was to excuse his terrible play (which btw he himself came out and said he wasnt injured).

It's a fact that the Bruins were missing their #4D the whole series, their #1C and best player for one game, and their #3C for a few.

Still a weak excuse for almost losing in 7. The Bruins just have problems closing out playoff series in general, its been an issue with them for years (how many 3-1 series leads have they given up in the last decade or so?).

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Still a weak excuse for almost losing in 7. The Bruins just have problems closing out playoff series in general, its been an issue with them for years (how many 3-1 series leads have they given up in the last decade or so?).

Says the fan of a. team who’s had the 3rd period lead in two different game 7’s against the Bruins.... :laugh:

And yes I’m sure missing their best player, a top 4D and #3C made absolutely no difference.

And to answer your question, they’ve had 3 in the last decade, in which they won two of them anyways.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad