OT: Who will you support for Sochi.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Well -

As I am a Canadian 365 days of the year - and often give financial support to Team Canada any way I can (don't forget to buy your 2014 Olympic Gloves!!) I support team Canada in everything.

I have my favourite ATHLETES who may or may not be Canadian, but I support my Country first and foremost. I will Support little Suzie Marie Bell from The Middle of No Where, Nova Scotia as if I knew her from the ground up. Little Alexandre Desnarnies from Quebec, you better kick some beehind on this sport I have no clue about.

For me - it's never what's on the back of the Jersey - it's what's on the Front

in NHL

:leafs this is why Cory Cross and Aki Berg could come back and it wouldn't really bug me.

in World ANYTHING

Canada. Canada, Canada, Canada, Canada, Canada.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Team Canada all the way!!!! :yo:

2010 Gold medal game was the first full hockey game that I watched.

Team Canada ahead of Leafs.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
That's pretty much all we got right? I assume Kulemin and Gunnar won't make their squads.

Kulemin is likely to make the team as a bottom six checking forward. Russia lacks players like him that can kill penalties and throw the body around.

Factor that in with the fact he's in good standings with Team Russia as he's always invited to the World Championships and a few months ago was invited along with Kovy, Ovi, Malkin,and Radulov to film a weird-ass Go Team Russia music video so he must be in good standings with the superstars as well. Also best friends with Malkin helps too.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I hope that team USA loses every game. Badly. Actually no, I hope they finish 4th. I want them to finish near the top of the group standings so that they have excitement/hope of a gold medal. I want them to make it to the quarterfinals (against Canada). I want Canada to be down 5-1 going into the third period, in which period we score 4 unanswered goals to be topped off by Crosby scoring in OT again to put them into the bronze medal game where they are swiftly and decisively dismantled by either Sweden or Russia.

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I feel similarly. The last team Canada I really routed for was 2002 team.

The whole Leafs, Habs, Bruins(the GTA ones), Sens fans etc.. sitting around the camp fire singing Kumbaya for 2 weeks doesn't appeal to me much, Especially with the grief we get during rest of the year.

It's interesting reading the opinions here. Guess I'm not as Canadian as I thought...

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
I guess this will be a minority answer but I don't care. I'm a Leafs' fan and I'd prefer that the Leafs' entire roster rested through the Olympics.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I guess my passion for the Leafs out weighs my passion for a super team assembled every 4 years. I love my country and will cheer for Canada for the Olympics as a whole. But wanting the Leafs players to succeed over players of rival teams/teams I don't support doesn't seem far fetched in my eyes.

You do not see the difference between the NHL and international olympic hockey??? The olympics are about pride and your country while the NHL is just another professional league where money rules.
Besides there is a better chance Canada wins gold than the Leafs winning the Cup.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Canada Gold

USA last is my preference.

USA = Habs in my eyes and I hate the Habs.....

Any Canadian who is cheering for the USA needs to move, I can help you pack if you like.

Maria Sharapova

Jun 4, 2010
Crazy, I understand Patriotism but the ignorance isn't necessary and adds nothing to this discussion. You can support Canada I understand your decision but to say my opinion is wrong and i'm not a true Canadian is .... :shakehead

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Let's see now, should I support the country which guarantees my rights and freedoms where people have died defending them? Nah, cheering on Kessel is more important!

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Slightly off topic, but things like this is why Toronto is seen as a Leafs town rather then a hockey town.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
I'll be cheering for Canada and Latvia like always (I'm a dual citizen). I couldn't care less about how any Leafs do there if they're not on either of those teams, and I wish them nothing but failure at the expense of "my" teams. International hockey has nothing to do with the NHL season. I cheer for Leafs players only when they're in Leafs uniforms.

Wheels

Aug 22, 2004
Crazy, I understand Patriotism but the ignorance isn't necessary and adds nothing to this discussion. You can support Canada I understand your decision but to say my opinion is wrong and i'm not a true Canadian is .... :shakehead

As you are someone who bases their username on a Russian lady tennis player, I am all sorts of confused.

And yes, I think the discussion of "should I cheer for Team USA because Kessel and JVR are on it" is nuts. What did you expect people to say?

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
part 2 hypothetically say Team Canada is built of Habs Sens and Bruins and Team USA has a great surplus of leafs do you still cheer for Canada?

If Team Canada was 100% Habs, Sens and Bruins and any other country was 100% Leafs I'd still cheer for Canada above all else.

Team Canada all the way; during the Olympics, I don't care who plays for the Leafs (unless they're playing for Team Canada).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00