OT: Who will you support for Sochi.

GhettoHockey

Dec 31, 2010
Toronto
cheer for americans? its quite the opposite.. gonna head down yonge lookin to beat some of their fans up (more likely if we lose in the finals)

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
It's interesting reading the opinions here. Guess I'm not as Canadian as I thought...

Yea.

Speaking for myself I love Canada and feel very fortunate to live here. But as far as sports teams go I feel more represented by my club team far ahead of hand picked super team in to be honest a fairly weak tournament.

I'm pretty convinced the general outlook on Toronto and the Leafs has effected my feelings and opinions on team Canada, But I have yet to lose sleep over it.

I should also mention I'm not actively routing for team U.S.A either. I hope Phil and JVR light it up, If anything I hope one of the underdog nations can steal a bronze or something.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Yea.

Speaking for myself I love Canada and feel very fortunate to live here. But as far as sports teams go I feel more represented by my club team far ahead of hand picked super team in to be honest a fairly weak tournament. I'm pretty convinced the general outlook on Toronto and the Leafs has effected my feelings and opinions on team Canada, But I have yet to lose sleep over it.

I should also mention I'm not actively routing for team U.S.A either. I hope Phil and JVR light it up, If anything I hope one underdog nations can steal a bronze or something.

Huh? You are represented by the Leafs? How so?
Hand picked super team???? Well of course it is, how else would the team be picked?
Maybe all canadian hockey players could just throw thier sticks in a pile and go from there.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Huh? You are represented by the Leafs? How so?
Hand picked super team???? Well of course it is, how else would the team be picked?
Maybe all canadian hockey players could just throw thier sticks in a pile and go from there.

They could do that as well I guess. They'd still get a pretty good team as well.

As for the Leafs, I just have much more of kinship with them considering it's a year round ordeal rather than some every 4 year tournament.

SlovakLeaf

Nov 25, 2013
Let's see now, should I support the country which guarantees my rights and freedoms where people have died defending them? Nah, cheering on Kessel is more important!

We don't know the Canadian roster yet, but my guess is there will be no one on that who died when defending the country's freedom. :) Some people take a sporting event far too seriously in my opinion.

Although I admit it's strange to deliberately cheer for a random country, I can't see it happen.

But for me, it's just Leafs >> Olympics.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
We don't know the Canadian roster yet, but my guess is there will be no one on that who died when defending the country's freedom. :)
This statement makes no sense

Some people take a sporting event far too seriously in my opinion.

Although I admit it's strange to deliberately cheer for a random country, I can't see it happen.

Some people take a sporting event (Toronto Maple Leaf games) far too seriously in my opinion.

KessMeRandy

Nov 25, 2013
i may be alone on this one but I hope that Kessel and vanRiemsdyk score 6 goals combined every game and tear it up and then score 6 in the finals on Carey Price, two deflected by Subban into his own net, and then Dion scores 7 including the overtime game winner against Ryan ****ing Miller. That's my ideal scenario.

edit: in their game against Russia, Kessel banks two off of Alexei Emelin. Also Chara ends up with a -24 on the tournament, Rask loses the game for Finland in the quarters, Galchenyuk doesn't register a point and LeBron James claims that he would have scored in the Gold Medal game overtime instead of Dion scoring his 7th of the game fivehole on Miller.

SlovakLeaf

Nov 25, 2013
Some people take a sporting event (Toronto Maple Leaf games) far too seriously in my opinion.

Of course I do. You tend to maintain your support for the Leafs since you're a fan, hence you relate to them much more, at least that's my case.

Whilst an olympic tournament is held every four years and my connection to the team I support is not the same. A quasirandom roster, players I may not like etc. Sure it's something special and I'm really looking forward to it. But I will watch it because I'm a fan of hockey. I will not get too nervous as I do when cheering for the Leafs.

But that may have something with the fact that I'm in an ethnic minority in my country. :)

KessMeRandy

Nov 25, 2013
Of course I do. You tend to maintain your support for the Leafs since you're a fan, hence you relate to them much more, at least that's my case.

Whilst an olympic tournament is held every four years and my connection to the team I support is not the same. A quasirandom roster, players I may not like etc. Sure it's something special and I'm really looking forward to it. But I will watch it because I'm a fan of hockey. I will not get too nervous as I do when cheering for the Leafs.

But that may have something with the fact that I'm in an ethnic minority in my country. :)

it's like the World Juniors. Maybe before you don't care, but once it hits and you're in full-bore Team Canada mode with the rest of the country at your side, it's a damned good feeling. Reason why I don't get THAT excited is because being from Leafland you feel that was all of the time with the Leafs. This however, will be much better hockey, and I'm interested to see how it feels getting lit the **** up by Kessel and JVR in the round robin.

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
Cheering for no one. I really feel no pride in them winning a medal. I used to back in 2002 but not anymore for w/e reason. Plus the TO media is nauseating during international tournaments.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
We don't know the Canadian roster yet, but my guess is there will be no one on that who died when defending the country's freedom. :) Some people take a sporting event far too seriously in my opinion.

Good for you. For myself, in the international stage, my loyalties are to my country. Did I say that those who played, or about to play, hockey for their country will be dying for that cause? I'm honoring the flag of our country for my fathers generation that had to endure such burdens without having such a choice.

It is a sporting event. Yet, it carries a flag with this tournament.

Do national anthems belong in the NHL? I'll tell you no. But in this regard, this is my stance.

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
canada of course.

tho i would love to see kessel have a big olympics and win as well.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
i may be alone on this one but I hope that Kessel and vanRiemsdyk score 6 goals combined every game and tear it up and then score 6 in the finals on Carey Price, two deflected by Subban into his own net, and then Dion scores 7 including the overtime game winner against Ryan ****ing Miller. That's my ideal scenario.

edit: in their game against Russia, Kessel banks two off of Alexei Emelin. Also Chara ends up with a -24 on the tournament, Rask loses the game for Finland in the quarters, Galchenyuk doesn't register a point and LeBron James claims that he would have scored in the Gold Medal game overtime instead of Dion scoring his 7th of the game fivehole on Miller.

Even better.

How about Kessel and JVR score 0 goals and are a combined -20 in the tournament. Canada wins Gold! US can finish wherever else they want

JVR and Kessel come back to the Leafs looking for vengeance. Both are 40 goal scorers and leads the Leafs to the holy grail

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Canada because I live here
Sweden because I could live there
Switzerland because I could live there too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad