Who will win the Calder Trophy this season?

Calder?

• Caufield

• Zegras

• Robertson

• Knight

• Raymond

• Nedeljkovic

• Seider

• Drysdale

• Byfield

• Byram

• Rossi

• SOMEONE ELSE (please list in thread)

Results are only viewable after voting.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The thing is - Lundell has pretty much NO PP! Would Raymond score as much with no pp and 2min 30s/pk every game. I`m pretty sure he wouldnt!

But Raymond is and that's what voters are voting on not what ifs for the Calder.

I get your point but he is also part of the team in Florida and teams game plan for Zegras and Raymond.

And if one wants to talk about defensive play there is Seider.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Vatrano has never reached 0.5. I`m pretty sure Florida would trade Vatrano for Milano and never look back. Verhaeghe was also a forgotten player before he came to Panthers. I feel like Milano will have a good career going forward

Vatrano has the much better resume both in the NHL and the minors your argument is really weak as this season Milano has Zegras that's the change.

If you want to make a case for Lundell that's fine but don't maximize everything about him then minimize everything about the 2 other forwards, voters don't think like a fan boy.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Vatrano has the much better resume both in the NHL and the minors your argument is really weak as this season Milano has Zegras that's the change.

If you want to make a case for Lundell that's fine but don't maximize everything about him then minimize everything about the 2 other forwards, voters don't think like a fan boy.
Ya I mean I like lundell and I think he’ll be among the final 3 at end of the year but some of his arguments come off as “poor lundell plays for Florida and doesn’t get a shot”…. Like it’s not advantages to play on that roster

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
But Raymond is and that's what voters are voting on not what ifs for the Calder.

I get your point but he is also part of the team in Florida and teams game plan for Zegras and Raymond.

And if one wants to talk about defensive play there is Seider.

Well, defenders usually defend. It`s much rarer to put a rookie C in a defensive role and see him thrive at it, while contributing on the scoresheet. As I said earlier - if i was to decide the Calder now, I`d give it to Seider. I do think that Lundell absolutely should be in discussion for #2 though. All of his underlying numbers except FO% are very good. Zegras FO% is even worse. usually takes a few years and muscles to gain to get that 50%+

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Answer hadn’t changed since this poll was made.

Zegras when it’s all said and done 100%

It was my vote and it's still my vote, Zegras should win even though there's several other good candidates

Like Jonlin has been trying to say with some pretty good arguments (didn't read everything but those I did were good), where the hell is Lundell? Why is OP not adding him? You can always edit the poll options.

This poll is messed up because the "SOMEONE ELSE" option has 22% of the votes :laugh:

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Ya I mean I like lundell and I think he’ll be among the final 3 at end of the year but some of his arguments come off as “poor lundell plays for Florida and doesn’t get a shot”…. Like it’s not advantages to play on that roster

"Poor Lundell" is actually starting to get more offensive time now and it shows. Last 9gp he has 11p and +9. Last 3gp 2g 3a 5p.
It`s actually not to an advantage if you are playing on the 3rd behind Barkov and Bennett with very little PP. Just check the Top10 in points, least PP points is 8 and best 22. Average PP points are 15. So, without PP-time the Top10 would have 29-41p.
Some players even benefit from beeing on a bad team, but on a working line. See Anaheim Ducks with Selänne-Rucchin-Kariya for example. They were always in the bottom as a team, but always produced. Raymond-Larkin-Bertuzzi is a very good line and they get the most PP and most offensive starts, just like the Ducks line.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

I honestly see a big 3 right now in Seider, Raymond and Zegras, Lundell is part of the next group.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It was my vote and it's still my vote, Zegras should win even though there's several other good candidates

Like Jonlin has been trying to say with some pretty good arguments (didn't read everything but those I did were good), where the hell is Lundell? Why is OP not adding him? You can always edit the poll options.

This poll is messed up because the "SOMEONE ELSE" option has 22% of the votes :laugh:

I think next weekend someone should do a "who are the Calder candidates at the halfway point this season"

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011

Yup - I really understand the arguments for Seider, Raymond, Zegras. It`s Lundell missing and "someone else" winning the calder that really bothers me! :D
I do think that "someone else" is pretty much Lundell. Cant figure out many others.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I think next weekend someone should do a "who are the Calder candidates at the halfway point this season"

Yes and my vote goes for Seider for now. I have hopes it changes to Lundell when all is said and done.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
"Poor Lundell" is actually starting to get more offensive time now and it shows. Last 9gp he has 11p and +9. Last 3gp 2g 3a 5p.
It`s actually not to an advantage if you are playing on the 3rd behind Barkov and Bennett with very little PP. Just check the Top10 in points, least PP points is 8 and best 22. Average PP points are 15. So, without PP-time the Top10 would have 29-41p.
Some players even benefit from beeing on a bad team, but on a working line. See Anaheim Ducks with Selänne-Rucchin-Kariya for example. They were always in the bottom as a team, but always produced. Raymond-Larkin-Bertuzzi is a very good line and they get the most PP and most offensive starts, just like the Ducks line.

That's great but in the last 9 games it's pretty hard to find a really good argument that Lundell is even a top 5 player for Florida in those games.

NHL Stats

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sucks that Formenton seem to have lost his eligibility as he is starting to heat up and looks fantastic, elite speed, underrated skill, already quite good on the PK and forecheck. He makes defenses back up a lot

Alex Formenton 10 GP 5 G 6 A 11 P +9

Eligibility: To be eligible for the Calder Memorial Trophy, a player cannot have played more than 25 games in any single preceding season nor in six or more games in each of any two preceding seasons in any major professional league.

wow I didn't remember that

2019-20 : 61 AHL GP
2020-21 : 20 NHL GP + 13 AHL GP

I'm not saying he'd win but possibly a top-10 finish... Not eligible because of playing in the AHL sucks... Just 22 y/o

Jesus Huberdeau is a beast

Yes I asked this question about him last night :

Most underrated player in the league by far?

Also, Anthony Duclair has 7 goals 6 assists 13 points in those 9 games and was +16

Pierre Dorion let him walk for nothing as a 24-25 y/o RFA... yes there was a context but :help:

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Formenton - Sutzle - Duclair
Paul - Pinto - Brown
White

Yes Duke wouldn't be PPG without Huberdeau but the speed on that 2nd line is insane

Last edited:
Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
That's great but in the last 9 games it's pretty hard to find a really good argument that Lundell is even a top 5 player for Florida in those games.

NHL Stats

Well, he is 4th in points on that span and play on 3rd line with less PP than the other Top9 in points of that list, so how wouldnt he be?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Well, he is 4th in points on that span and play on 3rd line with less PP than the other Top9 in points of that list, so how wouldnt he be?

Ekblad and Weegar?

I mean seriously teams are game planning for Barkov not Lundell.

Also it's a freaking 9 game stretch he is 9th on team scoring, that's not going to get him a Calder regardless of all the other stats you are trying to throw out here.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Ekblad and Weegar?

I mean seriously teams are game planning for Barkov not Lundell.

Also it's a freaking 9 game stretch he is 9th on team scoring, that's not going to get him a Calder regardless of all the other stats you are trying to throw out here.

I was talking about forwards obviously. Actually Bennett, Huby and Duclair are the ones getting the most advantage from the game-planning. When teams plan their game against Barkov&Reinhart, Huby&Bennett&Duclair takes advantage as seen in the last games.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016

First line minutes coupled with #1 PP time should be more favorable than third line with defensive responsibilities, #1 PK, and very limited PP time no matter what teams we're talking about. Especially in terms of offensive production. And it's not like Lundell plays against scrubs. As a center he's generally facing more elite competition than Sam Bennett's line.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
First line minutes coupled with #1 PP time should be more favorable than third line with defensive responsibilities, #1 PK, and very limited PP time no matter what teams we're talking about. Especially in terms of offensive production. And it's not like Lundell plays against scrubs. As a center he's generally facing more elite competition than Sam Bennett's line.
I dont have anything bad to say about Lundell i think at very least hell be a finalist for Calder... could even win it.

I have him with Zegras and Seider as my finalists when the season ends.

I dont think many rookies are getting first line mins.... outside of seider getting top pair mins.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
I dont have anything bad to say about Lundell i think at very least hell be a finalist for Calder... could even win it.

I have him with Zegras and Seider as my finalists when the season ends.

I dont think many rookies are getting first line mins.... outside of seider getting top pair mins.

Same.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Zegras is like -10 currently... despite having 29 points, he's still -10.
compare that to Raymond with 32 points and +2.

At this point, my vote still goes to Raymond over Zegras, but Seider is still right there too.

Cenzhin

Mar 2, 2018
Calgary
Sucks that Formenton seem to have lost his eligibility as he is starting to heat up and looks fantastic, elite speed, underrated skill, already quite good on the PK and forecheck. He makes defense back up a lot

Alex Formenton 10 GP 5 G 6 A 11 P +9

Eligibility: To be eligible for the Calder Memorial Trophy, a player cannot have played more than 25 games in any single preceding season nor in six or more games in each of any two preceding seasons in any major professional league.

wow I didn't remember that

2019-20 : 61 AHL GP
2020-21 : 20 NHL GP + 13 AHL GP

I'm not saying he'd win but possibly a top-10 finish... Not eligible because of playing in the AHL sucks... Just 22 y/o

Yes I asked this question about him last night :

Most underrated player in the league by far?

Also, Anthony Duclair has 7 goals 6 assists 13 points in those 9 games and was +16

Pierre Dorion let him walk for nothing as a 24-25 y/o RFA... yes there was a context but :help:

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Formenton - Sutzle - Duclair
Paul - Pinto - Brown
White

Yes Duke wouldn't be PPG without Huberdeau but the speed on that 2nd line is insane
He's ineligible because he played six or more games in the NHL in 2018-19 and 2020-21, not because he played in the AHL.

Reactions: Xspyrit

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Zegras is like -10 currently... despite having 29 points, he's still -10.
compare that to Raymond with 32 points and +2.

At this point, my vote still goes to Raymond over Zegras, but Seider is still right there too.

Well Raymond is playing on the best line possible and Zegras made Milano a NHL player after he was very close to being out of NHL most had questions if he even had a spot now look at him. Imagine Zegras with Raymond teammates lol that would be dumb. If they put Zegras with Terry he would be a lot better but zegras has to drive his own line same with Terry.

I think Seider is the favorite at this moment imo.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad