FA Signing

Gone: Perreault, Enstrom, Myers, Mason
Connor?

Reactions: SM

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I love how a thread titled 'Speculation: Who Will Not Be Back Next Year' turns into: "Ima climb on this soapbox and bitch about all the players I don't like and want gone' :laugh:

Instead of talking about what I WANT, I will honor the OP's thread intention, who will not be back.

Myers WILL be back. I don't know if you guys have followed the way the org operates, but they are EXTREMELY loyal, and that has paid off in rep in the league (and players we've managed to acquire and extend). After the very personal thing that he and his wife went through here, he's not going to be shipped out. Besides the fact that the org likes him despite the wide dislike of him on these boards. Finally, he has really driven play a lot in the playoffs (again, people don't like him so will isolate his flaws). FINALLY Finally, he only has a year left on the current deal, so the Jets will let it play out.

Little will be back: (read - loyalty) He has struggled to produce at the rate we've expected of him this year, but Little is still an extremely important and useful player. He transitions from a guy who drives the offense to a 2 way center that prevents and chips in secondary scoring. I do think he's a bit expensive for that role but consider it a reward for all he has done for this team when he was paid less than he was worth.

Now to the actual thread question:

• Hendricks: I think he was here for a reason, but not needed anymore.
  • Dano: He doesn't play even when we are injured, he's done
  • Petan: Ditto. I think he can be used as trade bait
  • Matthias: No use for him here
  • Enstrom: I think Toby might retire. He's just been demolished the past couple of years. Maybe he goes and plays in Europe - he could extend his career significantly if he does that

I think they will give an RFA offer to Joe Morrow for D depth, considering we can sure use it. No idea if Kuli will be able to play next year, and I expect Niku to be a tweener. Might be a more regular spot for Poolman.

I'd love for them to buy out Mason but considering that Comrie showed he's not nearly ready, and Berdin still looks a ways off, unless they grab a vet in the offseason (which I wish they'd do but considering the cost + buyout they wont) I think Mason is here next year.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
@Jet i would like to see this secondary scoring you say Little brings. Playoffs playing with Perrault not so much.

Myers is the one who should be loyal to the Jets org and give them a good rate for helping during a tough time. I hope that means he doesn't try to turn around and ask the Jets for lots and lots of money. You helped us during tough time now keep helping by paying me 3RD as a top 2 RD.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Little isn't going anywhere guys; he's on a NMC. He's due a bounce back season anyway. However... I never want to see Ehlers/Little/Laine again.

I would love to keep Enstrom on a cheap contract on third pairing. I think that would be amazing actually... now THAT'S depth.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
@Jet i would like to see this secondary scoring you say Little brings. Playoffs playing with Perrault not so much.

Myers is the one who should be loyal to the Jets org and give them a good rate for helping during a tough time. I hope that means he doesn't try to turn around and ask the Jets for lots and lots of money. You helped us during tough time now keep helping by paying me 3RD as a top 2 RD.

upload_2018-5-20_13-9-36.png

Average almost 20 goals and 45 points a season is the very model of secondary scoring, no?

Let's not even go to Perreaults stats this year. I'd say he's bringing Little down not the opposite.

As for Myers, I could see him resigning with the team, maybe for less but probably a slight increase. He's not liked here but he is big, has good offensive abilities, and is a legit top 4 guy. Lots of top 4 guys have warts, and lots are hated by their fanbases. That is because people expect perfection from every player. Guess what, not going to happen unless we go back down to 6 teams and even then people will complain about bottom pair D and 4th liners :)

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Armia's point production was second highest in the league of players who played in less than 13 minutes. Elite forecheck and puck retrieval skills + offensive potential.

Other teams would scream to have bottom6 player like Armia.
Yeah, lets replace him with some AHLer. I'm running out of patience with him too. :popcorn:

Honest question... why do you exclusively post about Joel Armia? I mean, I can understand people being fans of certain players. But EXCLUSIVELY posting about a third line winger is a bit weird. Are you related or just a big fan of his game?

FWIW I really like Armia as a player too. He can be frustrating though, because he seems like he lacks a bit of ice cold scoring touch... which is super strange because that was his biggest strength when he was drafted. ??

Dr Amazing204

Oct 5, 2017
what if stastny resigns with the jets with a hometown discount yes I kno winnipeg is not his home town but what if he wants to stay and play with laine and ehlers for another season might not happen but it would be cool if he did

Reactions: Moon Man

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
what if stastny resigns with the jets with a hometown discount yes I kno winnipeg is not his home town but what if he wants to stay and play with laine and ehlers for another season might not happen but it would be cool if he did
As much as I want Stasny back I just don't think it's in the cards.

He's going to want the last big contract, and where the Jets are in their development cycle and upcoming core players needing new contracts - I just don't see where he fits.

Reactions: upperdeckjet

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I heard a rumour that Statsny bought a house in Winnipeg.
Before reading any further into this, I'd love to see a link.

Are we talking about a Brad Richards discount? If not, I highly, highly doubt he'll come back.

Dr Amazing204

Oct 5, 2017
Before reading any further into this, I'd love to see a link.

Are we talking about a Brad Richards discount? If not, I highly, highly doubt he'll come back.
Anything is possible guy most likely wont happen but still it would be cool if he does resign

redneckjabronie

Nov 17, 2015
I love how a thread titled 'Speculation: Who Will Not Be Back Next Year' turns into: "Ima climb on this soapbox and ***** about all the players I don't like and want gone' :laugh:

Instead of talking about what I WANT, I will honor the OP's thread intention, who will not be back.

Myers WILL be back. I don't know if you guys have followed the way the org operates, but they are EXTREMELY loyal, and that has paid off in rep in the league (and players we've managed to acquire and extend). After the very personal thing that he and his wife went through here, he's not going to be shipped out. Besides the fact that the org likes him despite the wide dislike of him on these boards. Finally, he has really driven play a lot in the playoffs (again, people don't like him so will isolate his flaws). FINALLY Finally, he only has a year left on the current deal, so the Jets will let it play out.

Little will be back: (read - loyalty) He has struggled to produce at the rate we've expected of him this year, but Little is still an extremely important and useful player. He transitions from a guy who drives the offense to a 2 way center that prevents and chips in secondary scoring. I do think he's a bit expensive for that role but consider it a reward for all he has done for this team when he was paid less than he was worth.

Now to the actual thread question:

• Hendricks: I think he was here for a reason, but not needed anymore.
  • Dano: He doesn't play even when we are injured, he's done
  • Petan: Ditto. I think he can be used as trade bait
  • Matthias: No use for him here
  • Enstrom: I think Toby might retire. He's just been demolished the past couple of years. Maybe he goes and plays in Europe - he could extend his career significantly if he does that

I think they will give an RFA offer to Joe Morrow for D depth, considering we can sure use it. No idea if Kuli will be able to play next year, and I expect Niku to be a tweener. Might be a more regular spot for Poolman.

I'd love for them to buy out Mason but considering that Comrie showed he's not nearly ready, and Berdin still looks a ways off, unless they grab a vet in the offseason (which I wish they'd do but considering the cost + buyout they wont) I think Mason is here next year.

I agree with you on Myers and Little. If you unload him, who steps in? He was a good player this playoff. And Little, a bit harder to justify because of the salary but because he's a centre, keep him. If he was a winger, I would drop him no problem.

The series revealed a few things about several forwards who I would seriously look at in terms of their future. All highly ineffective for different reasons. These guys are Perrault (highly paid streaky inconsistent player), Armia (even more inconsistent), Lowry (super slow and not much of a threat) and Copp (an even worse version of Lowry). As far as I'm concerned, 2 of these players should not be brought back. Tanev even was a nicer surprise than these guys.

Reactions: upperdeckjet

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Until the Trouba contract is sorted out it is too hard to know how/where $$ will be saved. Can they sign Stastny or another C?

I think Perrault is the most likely to be moved. Replaceable performance at much cheaper price.

Enstrom goes home to Sweden. Matthias and Hendriks not offered contracts.

Mason traded for cheap, probably with $ retained.

Dano traded for a bag of pucks.

Yogi141

Feb 24, 2018
I think Chevy needs to look at some bridge contracts to get himself through until the contracts run out on Buff, Mason and Kulikov. He should think about a bridge deal for Morrisey, Conner and Laine. We know we are going to have to pay a lot for Laine at some point, so why not take advantage of a two year bridge deal. He still has a lot to prove to get a huge, long term deal. He showed this playoffs that he still gives up the puck a lot and also is not great along the boards, and he also didn't score much after he got hurt near the end of the season. Justification for a 2 year $5 million deal. That would mean that Laine's bridge contract was up at the same time as Buff's contract. If you can save some money from a few of the younger guys for a few years, you might be able to sign Stas for three years. I think you might have to get rid of MP and Myers, Mp because he is traceable at his salary and Myers because you can't afford a third pairing defensemen with that Cap Hit.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Why are people speculating that Tyler Myers will be gone? Is this wishful thinking? His salary is low, his cap hit is high. Will the team need to shed salary? I have no issue with moving him since in my opinion his stock his risen as he had a very good season. He showed skill offensively and defensively, he showed flashes of being a Byfuglien carrying the puck. I would be fine if they feel Tucker Poolman deserves to step in and replace him. I really wish the Jets would have NOT re-signed Little. His game has dropped substantially. He isn't the scoring threat that he once was and I would rather his salary were to go towards re-signing players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad