Who will get television broadcast rights for Vegas' NHL games?

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
Local TV makes sense for a small part of the schedule. The local channel will become a stronger supporter on the team when it comes to the sports news segments and coaches shows and the like. Only hard part is to get them to preempt network programming, but if the schedule is light they can pick out dead spots like weekend games after football ends.

To add to this point, the local NBC affiliate will air a show Monday night at 11:15 that is all Knights.
http://news3lv.com/sports/content/full-sportscast-golden-knights-are-counting-the-days-to-june

taylorjonl

Jul 3, 2015
Sandy, Utah
What TV channel will broadcast games?

I am hoping to follow the Vegas Golden Knights next year as a second team. They will be the closest team to me living in the Salt Lake City area. I am trying to find out what TV channel will be broadcasting the games. Does anyone know or have a guess?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I am hoping to follow the Vegas Golden Knights next year as a second team. They will be the closest team to me living in the Salt Lake City area. I am trying to find out what TV channel will be broadcasting the games. Does anyone know or have a guess?

We'll find out soon. I'm hoping for Root Sports, which would get us into Utah for sure.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Fox Sports is bidding. Though it wouldn't surprise me if a new regional was created to carry VGK and UNLV games and Raiders content. Maybe Cox, who is the local cable monopoly EEEEERRRRRR carrier will create one similar to the one they have in San Diego.

Isn't Cox the outlet that said "Screw you!" to Viacom?

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
Still nothing huh? I'm kinda surprised that nothing has been announced yet in terms of getting ducks in a row and starting to plan......

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
With the preseason roughly 6 months away they are running out of time to launch a stand alone channel. Those take a lot longer than just adding the team on an existing channel.

A new channel would have to build a master control, studio and several sets, office space, a bunch of video equipment, hire an entire staff and many many more things. Then they would need to secure distribution with Dish, Directv, Cox and others pretty damn quickly.

An existing channel would still need to do some of those things but can happen much more easily than from the ground up.

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
Well, I know this- the expansion draft will be televised live on June 21st. I don't know where it will air domestically, though.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Would be nice if they would pick a channel that cox carries, otherwise like 70% of Vegas will never see them play

I'm sure they'd carry it if the Knights were on the channel, it would be a new channel I'm sure. ROOT Vegas or something.

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
Still nothing on this front? Yikes. I thought an announcement would have been made by now. Maybe the old SportsChannel will rebrand....

rabinsurance

Jul 5, 2007
McPhee was interviewed during the U18 Gold Medal game in Slovakia yesterday and he did mention that the TV deal was being worked on and it was the last major thing for the franchise to do on the business side.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Cox is the local cable provider and apparently they're notoriously brutal on negotiations, that could be impacting a lot of the television discussion. We're really going to need a new RSN for Knights games and Raiders commentary/analysis.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
I don't like this. it reads as though Root will produce the games to be carried on a local affiliate. Root is everywhere Foley wants to be except Vegas, so Cox may step up and carry the games on a catch all channel. I would rather someone like FSN carry the games. Or a new regional network, but it's way too late to go there at this juncture.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I don't like this. it reads as though Root will produce the games to be carried on a local affiliate. Root is everywhere Foley wants to be except Vegas, so Cox may step up and carry the games on a catch all channel. I would rather someone like FSN carry the games. Or a new regional network, but it's way too late to go there at this juncture.

Root would be great for us, same level as a Fox Sports in my mind.

We've got two teams now, we need a local RSN. If that RSN also happens to have carriage in Utah, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho, that's even better.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Root would be great for us, same level as a Fox Sports in my mind.

We've got two teams now, we need a local RSN. If that RSN also happens to have carriage in Utah, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho, that's even better.

It's gotta be ROOT Sports - it just makes too much sense, especially since they already have the TV deal with the Big Sky and Mountain West conferences, so they'll have additional content for the Root Vegas channel when they're not showing the Knights (with a special emphasis on UNLV).

According to the RJ article, the NHL already granted the Knights the TV coverage into those four states - which are all covered by another ROOT Sports channel (RS Utah, RS Rocky Mountain or RS Northwest). Could there be a way to simulcast Knights games into those territories on those other ROOT channels? I wonder if that would satisfy the TV coverage that Foley is seeking, or if they'd need to get ROOT Vegas included separately in the TV packages of those four states. According to Wikipedia, Utah Jazz games from RS Utah are shown on both RS Northwest and RS Rocky Mountain.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Root shooting the Jazz into their markets outside of Utah is the main reason I prefer Root.

If we can get the Knights on in the league determined markets and also get them on in some of the northwest markets where they're showing the Jazz that would work out perfectly.

The only issues are that there's not currently a Root network in Nevada and the fact that Root's got to know they're perfect for the Knights and aren't willing to pay as much as the Knights would like due to them being perfect. :laugh:

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Root shooting the Jazz into their markets outside of Utah is the main reason I prefer Root.

If we can get the Knights on in the league determined markets and also get them on in some of the northwest markets where they're showing the Jazz that would work out perfectly.

The only issues are that there's not currently a Root network in Nevada and the fact that Root's got to know they're perfect for the Knights and aren't willing to pay as much as the Knights would like due to them being perfect. :laugh:

Interesting point - the Jazz are being simulcast in RS NW and RS RM because the most prominent team on those channels are MLB teams, whose season barely overlaps the NHL season. Obviously, the Knights won't be carried by RS Utah, but I wonder how it gets decided if the Jazz/Knights are playing on the same night and RSNW and RSRM want to show a game.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I don't see why they wouldn't push both teams into Utah and Nevada. Obviously the local team would get the nod if there's a time conflict, but if you're paying for the content you might as well use it.

That's assuming they can throw the Jazz into Nevada, of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad