Who Will Be The Next Edmonton Oilers Player To Be Inducted Into The Hockey Hall Of Fame?

Who Will Be The Next Edmonton Oilers Player To Be Inducted Into The Hockey Hall Of Fame?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Roy Of Ottawa

HOCKEY HALL OF FAME
Oct 4, 2017
Andy Moog (3 Stanley Cup Rings with Edmonton Oilers; 372 Wins; 28 Shutouts; The William M. Jennings Trophy 1990; NHL All-Star 1985, 1986, 1991, 1997)
Legends of Hockey -- NHL Player Search -- Player -- Andy Moog

Kevin Lowe (6 Stanley Cup Rings: 5 Edmonton Oilers; 1 New York Rangers; 1254 Games Played; The King Clancy Memorial Trophy 1990; NHL All-Star 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1993)
Legends of Hockey -- NHL Player Search -- Player -- Kevin Lowe

Charlie Huddy (5 Stanley Cup Rings with Edmonton Oilers; 1017 Games Played; Holds NHL Record For All-Time Playoff Plus/Minus with +98)
Legends of Hockey -- NHL Player Search -- Player -- Charlie Huddy

Esa Tikkanen (4 Stanley Cup Rings: 3 Edmonton Oilers; 1 New York Rangers)
Legends of Hockey -- NHL Player Search -- Player -- Esa Tikkanen

Craig MacTavish (4 Stanley Cup Rings: 3 Edmonton Oilers; 1 New York Rangers; NHL All-Star 1996; 1093 Games Played)
Legends of Hockey -- NHL Player Search -- Player -- Craig MacTavish

And that's where it can stop with 1980s Edmonton Oilers players having their numbers retired and being inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. The rest of the players from the team don't have the stats to warrant retired numbers and induction. People tend to forget that it was Andy Moog and not Grant Fuhr who was in nets for the Edmonton Oilers first Stanley Cup win.

Last edited:

The Roy Of Ottawa

HOCKEY HALL OF FAME
Oct 4, 2017
Andy Moog and Kevin Lowe should be going in soon. I'm sure Sather, Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, Fuhr, Anderson and Kurri will push the voting committee for it. The wait will be longer for Huddy, Tikkanen and MacTavish.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Andy Moog and Kevin Lowe should be going in soon. I'm sure Sather, Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, Fuhr, Anderson and Kurri will push the voting committee for it. The wait will be longer for Huddy, Tikkanen and MacTavish.

I can see the longshot argument for Tikkanen, and Lowe has always had his name in the background even if nobody really ever has an argument beyond "six Cups!"

But good lord, MacTavish? I can't even think of a bad argument for his name to be brought up.

Reactions: Sentinel

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Connor McDavid.

This was the first thing I thought of when I read the OP. I don't think any of them make it. Moog had a really, really good career but the fact that I can't find it in me to use the word "great" is why I don't think he'll get in.

Lowe should never see the light of day in there and while 6 Cups are nice he does not have the resume for the HHOF.

Tik is someone with a slim chance. Although nothing from him yet, so maybe at this point it will never happen.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Dude, I don't know what you're smokin', but these guys are NOT going in (as players, anyway). Why in the world do you think they "should be going in soon"?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Dude, I don't know what you're smokin', but these guys are NOT going in (as players, anyway). Why in the world do you think they "should be going in soon"?

(clears throat)..............."Dave Andreychuk and Phil Housley".

My work is done.

Don't ever underestimate what the HHOF committee is capable of doing.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
(clears throat)..............."Dave Andreychuk and Phil Housley".

My work is done.

Don't ever underestimate what the HHOF committee is capable of doing.
Ha, ha, yes, okay, I'd forgotten the people we're dealing with here.

But still -- at least Andreychuk and Housley have elite career numbers for their positions and player-types. Moog, Lowe, Huddy, etc., do not.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Ha, ha, yes, okay, I'd forgotten the people we're dealing with here.

But still -- at least Andreychuk and Housley have elite career numbers for their positions and player-types. Moog, Lowe, Huddy, etc., do not.

Moog I will say is a really, really good goalie. In all honesty the difference between him being in and out might come down to the 1990 Cup final. If he wins that then there is a different perception of him and he finally wins his "own" Cup.

The Roy Of Ottawa

HOCKEY HALL OF FAME
Oct 4, 2017
Moog I will say is a really, really good goalie. In all honesty the difference between him being in and out might come down to the 1990 Cup final. If he wins that then there is a different perception of him and he finally wins his "own" Cup.

Andy Moog was in nets for the first Edmonton Oilers Stanley Cup championship.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Andy Moog was in nets for the first Edmonton Oilers Stanley Cup championship.

He was, but he only got in the last three games of the final because Fuhr got hurt. Moog did fill in a bit here and there during their dynasty, it isn't as if Sather NEVER used him in the postseason, but I don't know if 1984 qualifies as "Moog's" team in net. It helps, but I would think if they had won in 1983 it would be his. Fuhr wasn't quite ready yet at that point and Moog was the starter the whole playoffs.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Andy Moog (3 Stanley Cup Rings with Edmonton Oilers; 372 Wins; 28 Shutouts; The William M. Jennings Trophy 1990; NHL All-Star 1985, 1986, 1991, 1997)
Legends of Hockey -- NHL Player Search -- Player -- Andy Moog

Kevin Lowe (6 Stanley Cup Rings: 5 Edmonton Oilers; 1 New York Rangers; 1254 Games Played; The King Clancy Memorial Trophy 1990; NHL All-Star 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1993)
Legends of Hockey -- NHL Player Search -- Player -- Kevin Lowe

Charlie Huddy (5 Stanley Cup Rings with Edmonton Oilers; 1017 Games Played; Holds NHL Record For All-Time Playoff Plus/Minus with +98)
Legends of Hockey -- NHL Player Search -- Player -- Charlie Huddy

Esa Tikkanen (4 Stanley Cup Rings: 3 Edmonton Oilers; 1 New York Rangers)
Legends of Hockey -- NHL Player Search -- Player -- Esa Tikkanen

Craig MacTavish (4 Stanley Cup Rings: 3 Edmonton Oilers; 1 New York Rangers; NHL All-Star 1996; 1093 Games Played)
Legends of Hockey -- NHL Player Search -- Player -- Craig MacTavish

And that's where it can stop with 1980s Edmonton Oilers players having their numbers retired and being inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. The rest of the players from the team don't have the stats to warrant retired numbers and induction. People tend to forget that it was Andy Moog and not Grant Fuhr who was in nets for the Edmonton Oilers first Stanley Cup win.

You realize it's the "Hall of Fame", not the "Hall of Almost Everybody"? Neither of the players you have listed warrant induction.

The Roy Of Ottawa

HOCKEY HALL OF FAME
Oct 4, 2017
Andy Moog won 77 games for the Oilers in regular season play and 23 in the playoffs.

77-50-21 in regular season
23-9 in playoffs

with Edmonton

The Roy Of Ottawa

HOCKEY HALL OF FAME
Oct 4, 2017
Andy Moog
Edmonton Oilers
Boston Bruins
Dallas Stars
Montreal Canadiens

Kevin Lowe
Edmonton Oilers
New York Rangers

Charlie Huddy
Edmonton Oilers
Los Angeles Kings
Buffalo Sabres
St. Louis Blues

Esa Tikkanen
Edmonton Oilers
New York Rangers
St. Louis Blues
New Jersey Devils
Vancouver Canucks
Florida Panthers
Washington Capitals

Craig MacTavish
Boston Bruins
Edmonton Oilers
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
St. Louis Blues

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I guess if Edmonton didn´t draft Fuhr maybe Moog would be in HHOF roday. I think he would have been good enough goalie to be Oilers cup winning goalie in more than one series. It´s actually quite interesting why Oilers went with such a high pick with Fuhr in 1981 after young Moog had good playoffs in the playoffs prior. "A rather short visit to the top". That´s a Moog quote I have (atleast according to Los Angeles Times) after he was sent in minors in 1981-1982 season. I have higher opinion on Moog than someone like Vernon or Richter. High on hall of very good.

But really none of these guys even with todays standard belongs. Ken Daneyko, Tomas Holmström, Kris Draper... kind of in same category. Good players playing important role in great teams but don´t belong to HHOF just with the rings.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Kevin Lowe will eventually go in as a builder for the wonderful work he has done as the Oilers GM and vice-president of hockey operations. Katz will induct him. Only tier one fans will be invited.

Reactions: Inkling
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad