Who Will Be The Next Edmonton Oilers Player To Be Inducted Into The Hockey Hall Of Fame?

Who Will Be The Next Edmonton Oilers Player To Be Inducted Into The Hockey Hall Of Fame?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I would like someone to explain one thing Kevin Lowe did in his career that would merit Hall of Fame consideration...?

Lowe was a slightly above-average Dman circa 1981 to 1984. Those were his best years. He was inconsistent after that, and by the early 90s the game had passed him by.

He was really, really slow, and had a tendency to make lazy, slow passes when taking the puck out of his zone, which would result in turnovers and goals-against.

His name frequently comes up, the first Oiler Drafted in 79, the steady, disciplined defensive play, the multiple AS selections etc, the 6 Cups, perhaps more importantly over & above that; the Leadership & the giving back to the community which is apparently fairly significant. So taken in totality, the intangibles, character... a good case can (and I assume has been?) for his induction. He also served as Asst GM in 2 Olympics & a WC, Coach & executive with the Oilers post playing career... however.... based on his playing career alone in a vacuum, he does fall short... Interesting little article here that quotes Iain Fyffe (a Member here at hf) on the Kevin Lowe HHOF debate;

edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/edmonton-oilers-legend-kevin-lowes-hall-of-fame-chances-look-bleak

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I don't personally see Kevin Lowe as being above Charlie Huddy... or Steve Smith... or Randy Gregg.

For Mary Poppins' sake, why doesn't the Hockey Hall of Fame committee set higher standards? Gillies, Andreychuk, and Housley weren't even All Stars most of their careers but they're Hall of Famers forever? Just say no.

HawkNut

Jun 12, 2017
Who should get in? None.

Who will get in? Maybe Lowe, and he'd be an awful choice.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Lowe's atrocious track record as a manager/president/whatever-the-hell-title-Darryl-Katz-bestows-upon-him probably ends any slim chance he had. There would be enough public backlash (much of it from Edmonton, ironically) that I'd imagine the committee will steer clear of him, given how suspect of a case he has to begin with.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Kevin Lowe was a below-average NHL defenseman after about 1987. He was quite good in one area (stay-at-home defense) from about 1981 to 1984, and then maybe average from 1984 to 1987.

Why anyone would be advocating him for the Hall of Fame, I have no clue.

(Bear in mind I grew up watching the guy, cheering for him, and I even bought his book in 1988).

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
The only way any of these guys get in is through the nepotistic/back-scratching/good ole boys nature of the HHOF committee. And sadly enough that might be enough for Lowe, and possibly some others. None of them would stand a hope in hell under say, the MLB or NFL selection processes. But as long as the composition of the HHOF selection committee includes a bunch of guys who were friends and teammates of eligible candidates, those players will have an undeserved shot at induction,

Reactions: Melrose Munch

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I voted for Craig McTavish but I would induct only his helmet.. :sarcasm:
Hey, he couldn't wear a helmet since they didn't fit over his afro!
images

(Actually, MacT did try wearing a helmet in, I think, 1988-89 for a while, but he dropped it quickly.)

Awesome player, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad