who whould you pic at # 6

who whould you pic at # 6

• Total voters

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Bouchard is my first choice, because I think he's the most well-rounded of the four defenders ranked near sixth. However, I am leaning more and more toward Dobson. I guess I'd like to see them get the best defensive defenders they can and build around that.
Dobson is definitely better than Bouchard defensively. He's a much better skater and great in the transition. From the opposing team's blue line back he's the best defender in the draft not named Dahlin. In the offensive zone he's still very good.
It's personal preference. Do you want the guy who could get 50-60 points a season and has some holes in his defensive game, or do you want the guy who gets 30-40 points a season but the puck will be in your zone way less with him on the ice?

Reactions: DetroitRed

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Dobson is definitely better than Bouchard defensively. He's a much better skater and great in the transition. From the opposing team's blue line back he's the best defender in the draft not named Dahlin. In the offensive zone he's still very good.
It's personal preference. Do you want the guy who could get 50-60 points a season and has some holes in his defensive game, or do you want the guy who gets 30-40 points a season but the puck will be in your zone way less with him on the ice?

It's a really tough choice.

I'd be very happy if they drafted Noah Dobson, but I'll be pretty happy to add any of those guys.

Reactions: jkutswings

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
It's a really tough choice.

I'd be very happy if they drafted Noah Dobson, but I'll be pretty happy to add any of those guys.
I personally prefer Dobson because he has the complete package, but I can see the argument that we need to shoot for high end offense from the blue line.

Reactions: DetroitRed

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I personally prefer Dobson because he has the complete package, but I can see the argument that we need to shoot for high end offense from the blue line.
On Dobson: 30-40 points a season would be very nice. That's like what Mike Green has been doing recently while making the all-star game. That would be especially good if we can still say that the better part of Dobson's game is his defense. I'm pretty close to changing my vote!

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
As long as our pick pans out and lives to expectations, I am good. I don't want to relive another version of Brendan Smith, Jakub Kindl, or Riley Sheahan.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Did he say the best passer in the draft?

There's a certain kind of swagger that Bouchard makes plays with in the offensive zone that is reminiscent of Mike Green. Which is a nice asset to have, to be able to play with that level of confidence. Early career Mike Green is a player that everyone on the planet wishes they could have. The minor skating kinks can be worked on to be as efficient as possible, but the one thing that Bouchard needs to do in order to max his potential is really take pride in the defensive aspects of his game. If he takes ownership of his play the way that Larkin took ownership and worked to correct and improve, he could be the best player the Wings could have a shot at.

I still lean Dobson because he has already shown that ownership and all he will truly need to work on is becoming great at some things instead of just being good at everything.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
When I see a big, RHD, I always think of Ryan Sproul, which is a shame. I hope that Bouchard or Dobson doesn't end up like him.

That being said, Hughes, Dobson, Bouchard or Boqvist would be a great add for the future blue line.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
When I see a big, RHD, I always think of Ryan Sproul, which is a shame. I hope that Bouchard or Dobson doesn't end up like him.

That being said, Hughes, Dobson, Bouchard or Boqvist would be a great add for the future blue line.

In all fairness, wasn't Ryan Sproul a 2nd round pick in the 45-50th range? Why is there any comparison to a top 6 pick and a "hopeful" prospect?

Reactions: lilidk

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Such an interesting debate between higher offensive ceiling vs a more complete player today. Higher offensive ceiling supports players like Karlsson. An exact quote from a Karlsson draft profile: "The knock on Karlsson is his defensive game and size." Missing on a player like that because he wasn't big enough is going to hurt.

Conversely, we have examples of players with size and defensive skills being overlooked due to low offensive totals. Shea Weber comes to mind.

Richard Moistmaker

May 9, 2018
1. Boqvist
2. Bouchard (Who the Wings seem to be targeting)
3. Dobson
4. Hughes

Its funny, I think most people would be happy for any of those four. Kind of a nice problem to have for a change.

Yep, definitely wouldn't be disappointed with any of these 4. We need D desperately so I hope they don't try and draft Tkachuk or Wahlstrom if they are available. Also great that 3/4 of these D are righties. Still really high on Hughes though.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Such an interesting debate between higher offensive ceiling vs a more complete player today. Higher offensive ceiling supports players like Karlsson. An exact quote from a Karlsson draft profile: "The knock on Karlsson is his defensive game and size." Missing on a player like that because he wasn't big enough is going to hurt.

Conversely, we have examples of players with size and defensive skills being overlooked due to low offensive totals. Shea Weber comes to mind.
People overcompensate when a trait is overvalued, to the point of undervaluing that trait. It's the reason the copycats have such a hard time beating the trend setters. When the Red Wings set the trend of possession hockey, they still understood the value of physicality (the previous trend) in the game (In the late 90's the Grind Line, Konstantinov, Shanahan, in 08 McCarty (again), Dallas Drake, Kronwall, and Stuart. The copycat teams that went full possession didn't succeed. The successful ones understood this balance. Chicago had Byfuglien, Brouwer, Ladd, Seabrook, etc.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

How big was Karlsson when he was drafted? Boquist's listed at 5'11'' while Karlsson is listed at 6' now. He's not big, I'm not sure he's even average, but he's not small. Hughes is small. And finding guys of comparable size that are legit #1 D just isn't out there as far as I know. Gostisbehere gets around 20 minutes a night, but next to nothing on the PK. Krugg gets about the same in Boston, and also no PK. Both guys are 3rd or 4th in ESTOI on their respective teams. Any of these kids in the draft could still grow a bit, but being under 6' seems to be an issue.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
How big was Karlsson when he was drafted? Boquist's listed at 5'11'' while Karlsson is listed at 6' now. He's not big, I'm not sure he's even average, but he's not small. Hughes is small. And finding guys of comparable size that are legit #1 D just isn't out there as far as I know. Gostisbehere gets around 20 minutes a night, but next to nothing on the PK. Krugg gets about the same in Boston, and also no PK. Both guys are 3rd or 4th in ESTOI on their respective teams. Any of these kids in the draft could still grow a bit, but being under 6' seems to be an issue.

Spurgeon? 5'9" and played 24.5 minutes/night this year on a Playoff team with plenty of PK time

other than that there's not really a lot in the big minute guys yeah

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
As much as I drool over Boqvist’s shot and Hughes’ skating, I’m kinda hoping the Wings take Dobson at 6. If he can be a huge minute muncher that can move the puck and run the PP AND potentially be our number 1 defenseman then you gotta take him.

Reactions: lilidk

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
As much as I drool over Boqvist’s shot and Hughes’ skating, I’m kinda hoping the Wings take Dobson at 6. If he can be a huge minute muncher that can move the puck and run the PP AND potentially be our number 1 defenseman then you gotta take him.
Of the four defensman I think Dobson is the one I"m afraid of most. I don't think he has the upside of the other 3. If we took him I wouldnt freak out, but I would prefer the others more.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Of the four defensman I think Dobson is the one I"m afraid of most. I don't think he has the upside of the other 3. If we took him I wouldnt freak out, but I would prefer the others more.

I think that the book on Dobson right now is that he is pretty raw. People seem confident that he has a pretty high floor as he gets a bit more refined, but the big question is whether or not he experiences any notable improvements of his skill level. He's really the only prospect that people seem to unanimously associate with a single player comparison of Pietrangelo. I don't think there is anything to fear with him at all, but I can also see why people would prefer the others.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I don't really see what he lacks that is too concerning.

I think in a draft that didn't feature Hughes and Boqvist, no one would be that concerned with his upside. While it's great that Boqvist and Hughes can basically handle the puck like a forward and are very slick with the puck, I don't know that is absolutely a must have for a defenseman to do that.

Dobson has the length, the skating, makes good decisions with the puck, and has a pretty damn good shot for a kid that will most definitely still add 20-30 lbs to his frame at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad