who whould you pic at # 6

who whould you pic at # 6

• Total voters

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If the Wings needed one type of defenseman, I would feel more strongly about a given candidate. For example, if even strength was in great shape, and it was just the power play that stunk, I'd say go Bouchard for sure. Or, if special teams were awesome, but transition at even strength could use help, I'd say either Boqvist or Hughes.

Dobson feels the safest. Bouchard feels the most ready. Boqvist and Hughes feel like "highest ceiling, biggest risk" (and have smaller sample sizes to extrapolate from).

Just gimme a good defenseman at 6, please. Then work some magic with all those extra assets, whether letting guys fall to you, or moving up using a spare pick or two, depending on how things evolve.

They need a guy who can play in all situations. A guy who can play other team's top lines and push everyone else down a spot on the depth chart.

That's what I care about more than anything else.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
They need a guy who can play in all situations. A guy who can play other team's top lines and push everyone else down a spot on the depth chart.

That's what I care about more than anything else.
I think any of the candidates COULD be that guy, in their own way. If forced to pick one that WILL be...I might go Dobson.

EDIT: Here's an HF thread from January, debating Bouchard vs Dobson:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/noah-dobson-vs-evan-bouchard.2440609/

I certainly wouldn't complain about Detroit picking either guy.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think any of the candidates COULD be that guy, in their own way. If forced to pick one that WILL be...I might go Dobson.

I love Hughes, but I just have a hard time seeing him being that type of guy.

I think he will be a top 10 pt producer in the league at his position, but I don't know he is a guy you can play big minutes at ES and won't have to shelter in the NHL.

Reactions: jkutswings

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Here's a Dobber article, comparing Ty Smith, Evan Bouchard, and Noah Dobson:

Prospect Ramblings: Breaking Down Ty Smith, Evan Bouchard & Noah Dobson – Hockey Prospects – DobberProspects

Conclusion section:

(Bouchard)
"I feel that despite Evan Bouchard’s massive production this year, his pure offensive ceiling may be a touch lower than some people may be hoping for. He’s a guy that will be relied upon in all situations, but will need to continue working on his edges and ability to accelerate quickly to create lanes in which to use his best weapon.

"He projects to me as a player with number two upside and should be viewed as a safe top four who can contribute offense at both even-strength and on the man-advantage. Some people feel he carries a bit more boom in his potential though, and team’s love a big upside so that may see him get called earlier than the other two CHL skaters."

(Dobson)
"As for Noah Dobson, his season somehow lands secondary to these other two players in most results, but his overall package lends itself to perhaps the highest and safest outcome.

"For some time I’ve likened his play to that of St. Louis Blues’ stalwart, Alex Pietrangelo. They are both big, strong, right-shot, smooth-skating defenders who can play an extremely effective and productive game at both ends of the rink.

"Dobson has all the tools to become a minute-munching all around defender and I believe has the highest potential to become a number one defenseman on an NHL squad."

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
I love Hughes, but I just have a hard time seeing him being that type of guy.

I think he will be a top 10 pt producer in the league at his position, but I don't know he is a guy you can play big minutes at ES and won't have to shelter in the NHL.

i love his skill set as well...its actually incredible what kind of skill level among defenders is there to be taken in the top 10 with dahlin, boqvist, hughes.

If he grows a bit, he might be a #1 defender - his play along the boards is pretty good. Its just that dobson, bouchard and boqvist are a bit bigger already

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Whatever.

Show me all the teams winning without being strong down the middle.

Show me all those teams loaded on the Wing and weak down the middle and on defense.

Not to mention the fact that defense take longer to develop anyway, so we're already doing this backwards.
Nashville has Johansen, an underperforming Turris, Bonino, and Fisher. Not bad at all, but not crazy. Larkin is on his way to Johansen's level.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I won't be mad if the Wings pick Tkachuk should he fall to them, but I think they would pass on him for a defender. Anyway, I really think if Ottawa doesn't take Tkachuk, then Arizona will pick him.

Again, I voted Bouchard. After Bouchard, I think I like Dobson, followed by Boqvist and Hughes.

Last edited:

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
bouchard for sure, I think he will turn out to be a terrific offensive defenseman with his skill and vision

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Nashville has Johansen, an underperforming Turris, Bonino, and Fisher. Not bad at all, but not crazy. Larkin is on his way to Johansen's level.

Johansen and Larkin aren't the same kinds of guys.
He's a Getzlaf/Thornton type center. Larkin is more a Kesler/Turris type center.

So yeah. Get us our Ryan Johansen to go with Larkin and then get us our Josi, Subban, Ellis and Ekholm.
And then I'm all about getting Tkachuck.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Johansen and Larkin aren't the same kinds of guys.
He's a Getzlaf/Thornton type center. Larkin is more a Kesler/Turris type center.

So yeah. Get us our Ryan Johansen to go with Larkin and then get us our Josi, Subban, Ellis and Ekholm.
And then I'm all about getting Tkachuck.

Larkin is 4 years younger and they have the same career high in points already, Johansen isnt much for the defensive side of the rink by center standards either

Johansen may be better but lets not pretend its the difference of Getzlaf/Thornton to Kyle Turris lol

Reactions: Ulysses31

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Larkin is 4 years younger and they have the same career high in points already, Johansen isnt much for the defensive side of the rink by center standards either

Johansen may be better but lets not pretend its the difference of Getzlaf/Thornton to Kyle Turris lol

You misunderstood or misrepresented my post.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
You misunderstood or misrepresented my post.

Please explain then.

You said get us a Johansen type to go with our Larkin,then compared Johansen to a couple of MVP calibre, consistent point per game centermen while you compared Larkin to a couple of second line centers.

Turris is 7 years older than Larkin and his career high in points is a whopping 64 points to Larkins 63. Johansen I was wrong about earlier he has a 71 point season to his name but that was 4 years ago. Larkin is that calibre of player now but youre making it sound like Johansen and him are as far apart as Getzlaf and Turris.

I'm not trying to misrepresent your post but I'm definitely misunderstanding it because thats how it comes across

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Please explain then.

You said get us a Johansen type to go with our Larkin,then compared Johansen to a couple of MVP calibre, consistent point per game centermen while you compared Larkin to a couple of second line centers.

Turris is 7 years older than Larkin and his career high in points is a whopping 64 points to Larkins 63. Johansen I was wrong about earlier he has a 71 point season to his name but that was 4 years ago. Larkin is that calibre of player now but youre making it sound like Johansen and him are as far apart as Getzlaf and Turris.

I'm not trying to misrepresent your post but I'm definitely misunderstanding it because thats how it comes across

1) Dylan Larkin played more minutes last year than Turris ever played in his career.
So 7 years older means shit. Larkin is playing big minutes on a shit team.

2) You're the one inferring the value between Larkin and Johansen.
I'm talking about them being different kinds of players.

3) Dylan Larkin is hardly proven.

The point remains.
The Wings are far from set at center.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
My top-10 predictions

BUF 1. Dahlin
CAR 2. Svechnikov
MTL 3. Zadina
OTT 4. Boqvist
ARI 5. Bouchard
DET 6. Dobson
VAN 7. Tkachuk
CHI 8. Hughes
NYR 9. Wahlstrom
EDM 10. Smith

So, Dobson it is then, big guy who can skate. Exactly what Kenny and co. likes to pick. Cholowski-Dobson sounds like a solid top-4 pair. Two good skaters, QB-shooter, lefty-righty, good size too. If we can get McIsaac with the Vegas pick, first round will be jackpot.

Reactions: ealong59 and NickH8

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
My top-10 predictions

BUF 1. Dahlin
CAR 2. Svechnikov
MTL 3. Zadina
OTT 4. Boqvist
ARI 5. Bouchard
DET 6. Dobson
VAN 7. Tkachuk
CHI 8. Hughes
NYR 9. Wahlstrom
EDM 10. Smith

So, Dobson it is then, big guy who can skate. Exactly what Kenny and co. likes to pick. Cholowski-Dobson sounds like a solid top-4 pair. Two good skaters, QB-shooter, lefty-righty, good size too. If we can get McIsaac with the Vegas pick, first round will be jackpot.

That would be awesome!

I have a feeling we will take Tkachuk or (more likely) Bouchard myself. We will see how it plays out.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Bouchard...Hughes...Wahlstrom....that order. Would be fine with any but that shot of Bouchard's....seals it for me. But I've seen Bouchard and Hughes a few times live and Bouchard is gold

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Leaning towards Dobson atm, I think he'll become a complete minute muncher.

I was really high on Hughes previously but I'm starting to have my doubts about his complete game. I'd rather the Wings take such gambles with later picks (like Hronek and Saarijärvi).

Last edited:

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Whoever is their BPA

I would be prefer to go with Bouchard or Tkachuk, but if they pick Boqvist, Dobson, or Wahlstrom, I will be happy too. They have done much more homework than I. Plenty of interesting prospects with the Vegas pick & the 2 early 2nds. We have some assets to move up if an opportunity arises. I heard a podcast that CAR is listening to offers. If we keep the picks I'd like 2 D & 2 F's.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
1) Dylan Larkin played more minutes last year than Turris ever played in his career.
So 7 years older means ****. Larkin is playing big minutes on a **** team.

2) You're the one inferring the value between Larkin and Johansen.
I'm talking about them being different kinds of players.

3) Dylan Larkin is hardly proven.

The point remains.
The Wings are far from set at center.

Youre talking about them being different kinds of players. You use Getzlaf and Thornton to describe one player and Turris and Kesler to describe the other. Getzlaf and Thornton have multiple 90 point and 100 point seasons between them, a hart trophy, an art ross, a cup and multiple olympic gold medals. Turris and Kesler and Turris have a selke and one 75 point season between them and thats about it.

If youre not inferring the value of these players with these comparisons you might want to try using guys that arent so obviously different in value. I agree the wings are far from set at center, if they can build a defense like the preds have, Larkin is good enough as your first line center to be a legit contender. They dont have that D though so theyre far from set.

Just because I agree with you doesnt change the way your post reads at all though

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
Want no part of Hughes from what I have seen he's 175cm at best and unless he can put on 3-5 more cm at least, hes a wisp of a thing playing with men. I'd rather get someone that is closer to 178 to 180cm, where they aren't pylons but still have some frame to hang meat on.
He is listed at 178cm from what I've seen. I would suggest watching Samuel Girard because Hughes reminds me a lot of him and he is probably better than Girard

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
Bouchard isn’t sexy enough for me. Someone calm my my fears about his skating...

I’m zoned in on Boqvist or Hughes. I fear Ottawa will take Boqvist at #4.
I think his skating woes are a little overblown. He reminds me a lot of Duncan Keith, not as good of a skater but really good positioning, great passer, and he never finds himself in a bad spot. Bouchard can make a 80-90 foot pass on the tape routinely, he is a phenomenal passer.

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
I think his skating woes are a little overblown. He reminds me a lot of Duncan Keith, not as good of a skater but really good positioning, great passer, and he never finds himself in a bad spot. Bouchard can make a 80-90 foot pass on the tape routinely, he is a phenomenal passer.

Yeah McKenzie mentioned that he passes as good as anyone he’s seen. His shot is very nice too....booming shot.

I’ve watched more of him and i just think improving his skating will be key...he sometimes joins the rush and can finish nicely too. I just always hear about prospects not being able to keep up with the speed....but if the Wings feel that can be improved and/or that his IQ neutralizes what’s not a red flag in their eyes then great....it’s very likely we grab him at #6.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Duncan Keith's entire game is predicated on skating. Have a hard time seeing that one.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Bouchard is my first choice, because I think he's the most well-rounded of the four defenders ranked near sixth. However, I am leaning more and more toward Dobson. I guess I'd like to see them get the best defensive defenders they can and build around that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad