who whould you pic at # 6

who whould you pic at # 6

• Total voters

Christien

May 1, 2010
The first 3 picks are pretty set in stone with Dahlin, Svechnikov, and Zadina. After those picks are made my preferred picks would be one of Boqvist, Bouchard, Wahlstrom, Hughes in that order.

Northwing19

Apr 9, 2018
Buttons post draft lottery mock has Ottawa taking tkchuck, Arizona taking Hughes, and us taking bouchard. He has Edmonton taking boqvist at 10...

I'm in the take a defenceman camp and we should be getting a dandy at 6.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I think Boqvist and maybe one of Bouchard or Hughes could be gone by sixth pick. That would leave the Wings at least one of those three. So, those are the three I think Detroit will focus on.

I don't expect they'll give much consideration to Dobson or Wahlstrom at this point, albeit they are good players.

I voted Bouchard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulysses31

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I've done some research, watched shift-by-shifts and highlights, etc. (I still haven't seen him in person so keep that in mind). I'm really high on Hughes now. I understand why people have reservations about him. It will be hard for him to defend in the NHL because of his frame. Regardless, the way he skates with the puck is elite, his vision is superb, and, like Hicketts, he has the compete level to be a small defenseman in the NHL. He honestly looks like Datsyuk on defense, with elite skating. His head is always up, he handles the puck with ease, he creates a ton of space, and is an elite passer. He's a new age defenseman who isn't afraid to join the rush. Also watching him he looked more 5'10, 5'11 than 5'9. If he adds an extra inch his frame will only be below average instead of way below average.

He's a high risk pick, but like Ken Holland and Tyler Wright are saying we need to set the trends, not follow them. Hughes is a new age defenseman, like Krug and Spurgeon. He's the future of the NHL.

I'd still be incredibly happy with Bouchard or Boqvist, but I believe Hughes has the potential to pass one of Zadina or Svechnikov in future re-drafts.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Lets keep in mind, krug and spurgeon don't have any real nhl success if chara and suter arent there.

Hughes is an amazing skater but can be hold up to being a #1 guy playing 25 minutes a game and more come playoff time against Mathews, eichel, stamkos/kucherv, ?

I want the horse even if he put up 10 less points a year.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Lets keep in mind, krug and spurgeon don't have any real nhl success if chara and suter arent there.

Hughes is an amazing skater but can be hold up to being a #1 guy playing 25 minutes a game and more come playoff time against Mathews, eichel, stamkos/kucherv, ?

I want the horse even if he put up 10 less points a year.
I do agree he will need a strong defender on his pair, but I think his offense will be such a huge positive that it's worth going through the trouble of finding a partner for him. The way Hughes creates offense is unique and will be very valuable as the NHL continues to shift towards speed and skill.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I said Wahlstrom. I honestly think he might be the best player in the draft. If he is gone by our pick, then I say Bouchard. I'd be happy with either.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Hoping Boqvist or Bouchard! Anyone think Bouchard can play in the nhl next season?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
It depends.
I'm looking forward to lots of reading in the coming weeks.

But right now, I'm not super sold on any of Hughes, Boqvist, Dobson, Bouchard or even Smith over each other.

If I'm sitting there on draft day at 6 and Hughes, Dobson, Bouchard and Smith are there...and if I don't have a clear favorite, I'd trade down to 9 or 10 for a nice asset.
But again, that's based on the idea that I haven't developed a clear favorite.

That may change between now and mid June.

If I have Hughes and Ty Smith ranked the same, and taking Smith allows me a shot at Veleno or Kotkaniemi....

I agree that everyone seems interchangeable at this point. If the scouting team comes to the same conclusion and trades back to 8-10 it wouldn't be the end of the world, but the general consensus is the drop off becomes more apparent beyond that. Now that we are drafting consistently in the top 10 does not mean we should start trading out of it. We've wanted these high picks forever, and now that we have our highest in a long time, we should probably use it.

This discussion of trading back was non-existent before the lottery and we dropped one pick. I think there might be a little bit of shock settling in of "oh f*** this, we didn't get top 3. The rest doesn't matter, we can't get Dahlin/Svechnikov, nothing will compare." Given time to let everything play itself out, we are still likely going to get a defenseman that the team will envision to be a top pairing guy, and that's nothing to scoff at.

Reactions: NickH8

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Seems unclear who will go 3rd,4th and 5th.

People suggesting zadina could slide, tkackuk as high as 3rd etc

It actually is not unclear. Zadina will be taken 2nd or 3rd he wont slide down. Tkachuk will be taken 4th or 5th.

What is unclear is which defensmen will be drafted after Dahlin and which will remain when Detroit picks.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I said Wahlstrom. I honestly think he might be the best player in the draft. If he is gone by our pick, then I say Bouchard. I'd be happy with either.

Best player in the draft? It is time for you to start watching prospects play. Dahlin is the best player in this draft easily.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Wouldn’t be too concerned about Bouchard. So what that his skating isn’t elite it is still good! He has elite skill and iq. Nick Jensen is a great skater and blows
People think Bouchard is a bad skater because he's always being compared to Dobson, Hughes, and Boqvist, who are all great or elite skaters. Bouchard's skating is still very good, his only problem is his first step acceleration. When he's in motion he's just as quick and mobile as most top defensemen in the NHL.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
World.cup is coming and Blush will coach Hughes ,with Larkin centering first line. Let's see if he is NHl ready in 1 year.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
People think Bouchard is a bad skater because he's always being compared to Dobson, Hughes, and Boqvist, who are all great or elite skaters. Bouchard's skating is still very good, his only problem is his first step acceleration. When he's in motion he's just as quick and mobile as most top defensemen in the NHL.
Exactly. I don’t need some guy to just be a burner but can’t actially play the position. Bouchards vision is off the chart, he has a great shot, elite passer, it’s him or Boqvist for me but I think Boqvist goes to Ottawa. Hoping Arizona goes with Tkachuk and Bouchard is ours

Reactions: newfy

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Exactly. I don’t need some guy to just be a burner but can’t actially play the position. Bouchards vision is off the chart, he has a great shot, elite passer, it’s him or Boqvist for me but I think Boqvist goes to Ottawa. Hoping Arizona goes with Tkachuk and Bouchard is ours

Bouchard is considered an EXCELLENT skater wheras Boqvist considered ELITE. Add in the fact that BOUCHARD plays 30 minutes per night in Junior and has elite vision along with elite passing and is a player not afraid of being physical or use his size, he's the no-brainer pick for Detroit imo.

I take the EXCELLENT skater with size over the tiny ELITE skater just to have an NHL dman that is projected to be atleast a #2 in the NHL and #1 quarter back on the PP. Bouchard will log lots of minutes like Suter does in Minny. He's a hourse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad