Speculation: Who thinks the Flyers are going to get offer sheeted?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Everyone has been pretty reasonable for the last little while so I have had nothing to talk about. Thanks for breaking the streak!

Yes, that has been my point from the beginning. I AGREE 100% what we SHOULD pay him. The problem is if he doesn't agree. Then what do you do. You can see my prior posts for your options.

If you are in need of that home for whatever reason (maybe it is in the right school district or has some special feature or something), then that's a question both sides have to figure out the answer to with regard to the negotiation. And guess what, that person who left their house on the market for a year and didn't get what they wanted, they suffer the consequences the same way the person that wouldn't come up to their asking price does. That person doesn't get the house and the other person loses money. That goes to the risk involved in both outcomes.

I'm not ok with in the sense that I think it is a good result. I am ok with it because I would prefer to overpay than lose his services. It doesn't matter what the reason behind these positions are. Fletcher may be 100% accurate in whatever he is offering in terms of fair market value. Provolone may be 100% wrong in his position as to what his fair market value is. But if he is going to sit out the organization is faced with decision: pay him or lose him until he comes around (if he comes around). I'm not willing to risk that.

I am looking at both sides and have explained the risk and consequence of both sides. I am saying I would prefer to overpay than to lose out. Provolone will absolutely suffer consequences if he holds out and it may a terrible decision for him to do that. No question whatsoever. I don't want him to do that. I don't think he should do that. But if he does, the negative impact on the team coupled with the negative impact of him as a player is more important to me than the negative impact on his wallet and his reputation. It is obviously in their best interests to meet somewhere in the middle, that is the case in every negotiation. But this whole discussion is prefaced with the idea that he is going to hold out. Everyone wants them to come to a reasonable agreement. No one wants him to hold out or for the team to overpay. But if he is going to threaten to hold out, I would rather overpay than lose out.

Wonderful, then I am sure that you are an expert negotiator who has never once paid more than you have intended to at the outset because you are able to bend the will of everyone. Maybe you can let me know some of your secrets.
Time to let this all end. Agree to disagree. You are willing to cave for Provy at 8x8, I am not.

Wow....SJ re-signing RFA Labanc for 1 year 1 million. Wonder if he wanted more ;)

And again...if Fletch pays anything in the 7's...maybe even in the mid to high 6's....it's likely more than he wants to. But at least 6-7 can be deemed "fair" for BOTH sides.

As for me....you can't afford me. ;)

67485403-mic-drop-illustration-cartoon-hand-dropping-microphone-simple-modern-icon-.jpg

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Provorov probably deserves somewhere between $5.5m and $6.5m.

$7m is bad, $8m is awful. We can't just give people contracts based on icetime and the overuse of an incompetent coach... unless we want Mac back and Hagg to get a hefty raise?

Provorov is a good young player and an important part of the team, but he needs to be paid what he's worth, not what we want him to become.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Time to let this all end. Agree to disagree. You are willing to cave for Provy at 8x8, I am not.

Wow....SJ re-signing RFA Labanc for 1 year 1 million. Wonder if he wanted more ;)

And again...if Fletch pays anything in the 7's...maybe even in the mid to high 6's....it's likely more than he wants to. But at least 6-7 can be deemed "fair" for BOTH sides.

67485403-mic-drop-illustration-cartoon-hand-dropping-microphone-simple-modern-icon-.jpg
This reminded me of Chris Rock as Little Penny in the old Nike ads.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
If Labanc didn't receive an offersheet then there is no way in hell that any of our players will.
Likely Aho and Point we're the only two players contacted re signing offersheet. Old boys club protecting old boys club. How else could you explain this?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There’s a reason Bergevin didn’t offer Aho the $10.5M right under the four first round pick compensation. He was still concerned about keeping the market some what in check.

To even have a chance at getting an offersheet to go through you essentially have to make Provorov a top five paid defensemen in the league. How many GM’s out there really think he’s worthy of that contract right now? $6.5-6.75M 6+ years is probably what most GM’s realistically think of what Provorov should get right now on the high end.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I really don't understand how Labanc signed that deal. I can't imagine the PA is very happy about it, or any of the clients of his agent.

Unless he just did SJ a solid, something doesn't make sense.

Reactions: Rebels57

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

This is what I have been saying for the past thousand pages. There's risk and benefit to both sides not budging or budging. We'll see how it plays out. Hopefully it doesn't come to that and they get it done.

As for affording you, luckily we're doing ok out here without your master negotiating skills. Happy clients and big dollars, that's all that matters! Just don't let any of my clients know that there are secrets out there of which I am not aware to get more money!

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I really don't understand how Labanc signed that deal. I can't imagine the PA is very happy about it, or any of the clients of his agent.

Unless he just did SJ a solid, something doesn't make sense.

Did SJ a Solid until Martin and Thornton come off their cap then they'll give him some back.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Did SJ a Solid until Martin and Thornton come off their cap then they'll give him some back.

It's still not a smart gamble. He could get a major career-altering injury this year and he would have cost himself several million dollars by "doing SJ a solid." Also, Thornton is still a UFA at the moment.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
It's still not a smart gamble. He could get a major career-altering injury this year and he would have cost himself several million dollars by "doing SJ a solid." Also, Thornton is still a UFA at the moment.
Thornton is going to eat what ever cap room they have left after filling the rest of the roster per Sirius NHL Radio.

Reactions: Rebels57

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Provorov probably deserves somewhere between $5.5m and $6.5m.

$7m is bad, $8m is awful. We can't just give people contracts based on icetime and the overuse of an incompetent coach... unless we want Mac back and Hagg to get a hefty raise?

Provorov is a good young player and an important part of the team, but he needs to be paid what he's worth, not what we want him to become.

This is the exact truth on Provorov. He is not a top tier NHL d-man. No where near close yet. If he wants 8 mil AAV then go out and earn it after this deal at ~ 6mil a year.

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
for the last time....the Flyers have MISUSED Provy the last 3 years.....he's been their most consistent Dman since he got here, the Flyers knew this and had him killing penalties till his legs fell off. Hopefully with the arrival of Braun and Niskanen, Provy gets more even strength and PP time and can catch his breath once in a while between shifts. $8M/8 yrs …..pay him or watch him excel on another team. :soap:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Why not reduce his PP minutes to zero instead. That's where he's least effective.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I am still going back and forth on Provorov getting a bridge deal on a deal where he can bet on himself or a 7-8 year deal.
I just don’t know if I am willing to give the guy 7M per. Need to show more consistency to get that kind of coin from me IMO

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
A quick question to those on the side of Provolone not being worth breaking the bank on...what would it take to get you to trade him? I am talking in a vacuum, no contract issues no nothing. If you were going to trade him what would you be asking for?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
And I am not suggesting that we should or would at this point, just wondering what his trade value is if he really is not worth the long term high AAV contract he's supposedly looking for.

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
Like 20:39 per game (6th highest in the entire league) wasn't enough. :eyeroll:

LESS PK time will mean more PP time.....let the overall TOI work itself out.....simple no ?

All he's done for 3 freekin' years is kill penalties because he was the most trusted Dman on the team.

They've stunted his growth as a NHL player.....I hope another team DOES offer sheet him and he signs.

Really :mad:

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They’ve given him a boatload of minutes overall with some of the best players on the roster. Other than giving him the top PP spot they’ve put him as #1D in practically every situation. Even on the PP he’s still a shoe in on the second unit despite statistically being one of the worst PP players in the league.

They’ve failed him not because of PK time. They’ve failed him by using him like something he’s not (an all situation #1 minute muncher). His ice time needs a serious reduction pretty much in all facets for the betterment of the team.

Their usage & ice time has been great for Provorov’s bank account though.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad