Speculation: Who takes over after Bergeron?

Bruins next nr 1 C

• Total voters

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
PLD is probably the cheapest one to get. Also a great choice. Big, physical, near PPG and only 24.

He's an RFA so may have to be a sign and trade (Gryz + 1st?) or bite the bullet and make a crazy offer sheet
They can't do a crazy offer sheet they don't have the cap space. They also don't have a first to add the Frodo. Why would the Jets even want Grizz never mind as a center piece of a deal? As a sweetener maybe. You PLD, even for a year, start with Carlo and Lysell and you are probably adding.

Quick solution at center is Ryan O'Rielly as a UFA. To get him you have to move some cap space out obviously.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
if Sweeney had of sat on his hands at the deadline and kept those picks you`d be here screaming about him doing nothing at the deadline

you think the picks in the drafts coming up are going to produce for either team an Ovi, a bonafide sniper or Sid/Malking replacment? Sorry, for me, even a top 10 pick is never a guarantee, I`ve been following this game too long and have seen can`t miss prospects packing groceries in 2 years while a 5th rounder finds a permanent roster spot

I`ll stand by what I say, when it comes to a succession plan for a future HOF`er, I can`t think of one team who has a plan in place, simply cannot manufacture another HOF`er simply via the draft

No, I wanted to blow it up last off season because I had felt they had already wasted too many assets on this core. I’ve been done with this group(Sweeney/Neely and the core players) for a couple years. And there’s a laundry list of posts to back that up.

Was it exciting when they added all the talent. 1000% it was exciting, it’s impossible to deny that. It was an incredibly enjoyable regular season. It was a slight glimmer of hope that this team was just too talented to once again choke.

I give Sweeney credit for having the balls to do it, but it was about 3-4 years too late. But that’s as far as it goes.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
need a real genuine rebuild drafting potential franchise centers to replace Bergy and Krejci. No patchwork garbage like we are fixing Montreal roads
How are you going to draft potential franchise centers when you don’t have draft pics? Sweeney went “all in” for the Cup this season thereby forsaking the future of the organization. This can be partially justified if he has outstanding prospects in Providence ready to step in for the loss of Krejci, Bergeron, Orlov, Bertuzzi. Gets hard to Watch when you’re hoping the third round pick in the draft is a “steal”.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Looks like next year will be a very different year than this one . I say blow it up .

Your not going anywhere with Zacha and Coyle as your top 2 . Bringing back Bergy and Krejci for another only puts off the inevitable.

No cap space for any FA'S

Ya, blow it up

Last edited:

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Franchise centers are drafted in the top 10 picks.

So the rebuild starts in 3 years?
Bergeron, Krejci, Pavelski, Zetterberg, Datsyuk just to name a few coming to my mind quickly and we can go on.... not only first round picks.... picks are only a promise, nothing more until they prove the contrary!

Reactions: TCB and Trizz617

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Bergeron, Krejci, Pavelski, Zetterberg, Datsyuk just to name a few coming to my mind quickly and we can go on.... not only first round picks.... picks are only a promise, nothing more until they prove the contrary!
20, 19, 20, 24 and 25 years ago.

It's possible to find elite guys in late rounds, but scouting has gotten better in the last quarter century and diamonds-in-the-rough are less common lately

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
PLD has made it pretty clear he wants to go home to Montreal once he hits UFA status (next offseason), so the Jets will probably give him his QO and try and trade him to the highest bidder as a 1 season rental. Even if the Bruins do somehow win that bidding war, he'd need to absolutely fall in love with Boston and the Bruins org to sign here long term.

And I don't see the Canes moving on from Aho, they don't really have anyone to fill the void if he were to leave. So I guess that leaves Lindholm. Don't think we have the assets to go get him if the Flames were to make him available but if he reaches UFA status the bruins should definitely make a run at him.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Lol at anyone thinking Aho is making it to UFA. Strong rumors PLD wants to be Hab. So that leaves Lindholm, who will be 30 by that point and who's not even really that big of an upgrade, if at all, over Zacha and Coyle spare for his one statistical outlier season.

Mods, go ahead and shut this poll down lol.
A better thread would be “what can Sweeney get for Marchand Lindholm Hall Ullmark?”

I build around Swayman McAvoy Pastrnak. Even them I’d be willing to listen to offers. The era is over, time to turn the page.

Reactions: bbfan419

MarkP1126

Aug 25, 2021
A better thread would be “what can Sweeney get for Marchand Lindholm Hall Ullmark?”

I build around Swayman McAvoy Pastrnak. Even them I’d be willing to listen to offers. The era is over, time to turn the page.
If the Chara/Krejci/Bergeron era is officially over, they are stuck building around them based on cap hits alone. They will also be a perennial disappointment when it matters most.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
If the Chara/Krejci/Bergeron era is officially over, they are stuck building around them based on cap hits alone. They will also be a perennial disappointment when it matters most.
Exactly. Draft picks. Rebuild. Marchand returns a 1st. Maybe Ullmark too. Hall a 2nd? Lindholm a 1st imo. That’s (3) 1sts and a 2nd. Let’s do it -Nike

Let’s not forget Bergeron Krejci Chara were mostly disappointing when it mattered most.

MarkP1126

Aug 25, 2021
Exactly. Draft picks. Rebuild. Marchand returns a 1st. Maybe Ullmark too. Hall a 2nd? Lindholm a 1st imo. That’s (3) 1sts and a 2nd. Let’s do it -Nike

Let’s not forget Bergeron Krejci Chara were mostly disappointing when it mattered most.
They may not have won, but I wouldn't trade their 3 runs for the leafs past 19 years (which is where I fear we're heading: DNQ or First Round exits).

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
tell you what, my biggest criticism of the leafs was that mathews isnt a big game guy but he took that step this season

dont think the bruins can afford a 15 million dollar contract tho lolol

meh, that's what they said after 2015/16. One game away from a cup 3 years later.

After that? it's over. Covid f***ed us up. But, still, a few years later and they're setting NHL records. The end wasn't what we wanted, but the team was clearly good

bruins will be better than people expect next year and I think they can compete for a cup seriously in 2-3 years if Sweeney keeps making more good moves than bad as he's trended
In Don I trust. The monty mistake must go though the guy is a moron.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
If the Don Godfather wants to get rid of Montgomery I think they should. Might be the only human alive he didn’t advocate for being a Bruin lol.

As for the poll, I’d say none of them. Accept that next year will not be great. Potentially awful. Maybe surprising.

Just don’t lock up someone on the backend of a career based on some 100 years nonsense. No one alive can remember when it started anyway.

Get back on the horse in two years. See what the kids on the system have to offer. Get picks for anyone over 30 at the deadline if things are real grim.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
The problem with blowing up the team is we don't have any draft picks of our own. So losing isn't really an option. The pick to Detroit is top 10 protected in 2024, but if I am not mistaken if it is top 10 in 2024 it just gets kicked to next year with no protection?

The Bruins are between a rock and a hard place after not winning this year

Reactions: TCB

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
They've been stacked at C - no where to develop to or reason to develop for.

Would love to see PLD come in but don't think it's realistic that they sign anyone on big $ and term deals

There’s been a reason to develop.

Everyone have known how old Bergeron and Krejci are& when their contracts run out.

This didn’t come as a surprise to anyone.

They just went all in with the old core to the end ignoring the developing issue for years.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
There’s been a reason to develop.

Everyone have known how old Bergeron and Krejci are& when their contracts run out.

This didn’t come as a surprise to anyone.

They just went all in with the old core to the end ignoring the developing issue for years.
In the last 5 years they've had 2 first rounders and they used them on Lysell at 21 and Beecher at 30. Last year they used their first three picks on centers and signed Merkulov.

If you want them to have traded for someone to replace Bergeron, who we're still not sure is done, then who and when? I was all for bringing in Roslovic and Bennett when they were available and cheap but other than that, who are we missing that would have been available for picks/prospects and would have played above Bergeron?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad