Line Combos: Who survives final roster cuts?

Final 21: (13F/8D or 14F/7D)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I f***ing hate Chris Butler. I can't believe we waived Jaskin to carry him on the roster. I'm really shocked that they would also rather have Kyrou straight up on the roster (esp. playing a Top 6 role) than risk losing Jaskin to waivers. I guess Kyrou really impressed the front office this camp.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
On a serious note, I can't figure out how we're making the cap work here unless Gunnar is going onto LTIR. Per CBA 50.10(c), Bortz's cap hit doesn't count against our calculation for the game he misses, but it will start counting once he is back. Without putting Gunnar on LTIR, we are over the cap by about $2.5 mil for game 1.

The only other possible scenario is that all of Fabbri, Jerabank, Foley, and Soshnikov's cap hits don't count against our cap. I don't have time to research every in and out of the CBA, but generally non-roster IR players still count against the cap. I could see a policy argument that Foley and Jerabank were never on our active roster from last season and shouldn't be counted against our cap due to unforeseen circumstances beyond our control, but I don't see the NHL buying that argument for Fabbri or Soshnikov. Even if you remove Foley and Jerabank from the equation, we would still be about a $500k over the cap for game 1. Since Bortz makes more than Walman or Butler, this would be exacerbated upon his return. The NHL certainly wouldn't let us carry a 7th D man if we were exploiting some type of emergency situation exception, so I think Gunnar has to be going on LTIR.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I’d guess Gunnarsson is put on LTIR, and Butler/Mikkola will be sent down when Jerabek clears, and Fabbri comes back(likely very soon since it wasn’t regular IR). Seems we’ll go 13F-8D at that point. All of our other forwards in SA don’t need waivers to go up/down.

In the next week, barring more injuries of course, our roster will likely look like this

Maroon-ROR-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Steen-Bozak-Perron
Fabbri-Thomas-Blais
Barbashev

Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko
Bouwmeester-Schmaltz
Jerabek-Bortuzzo

Allen
Johnson

Out: Gunnarsson, Soshnikov, Sundqvist

Reactions: BlueDream

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I ****ing hate Chris Butler. I can't believe we waived Jaskin to carry him on the roster.

That part I get.

I'm really shocked that they would also rather have Kyrou straight up on the roster (esp. playing a Top 6 role) than risk losing Jaskin to waivers. I guess Kyrou really impressed the front office this camp.

That part I don't. Unless this is based just on your low expectations of the coaching staff rather than how the player performed.

Kyrou is electric.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I ****ing hate Chris Butler. I can't believe we waived Jaskin to carry him on the roster. I'm really shocked that they would also rather have Kyrou straight up on the roster (esp. playing a Top 6 role) than risk losing Jaskin to waivers. I guess Kyrou really impressed the front office this camp.
Have you paid attention to anything through camp? Serious question.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Have you paid attention to anything through camp? Serious question.
I have. And they have had Kyrou paired with Thomas pretty much all of camp. To see him in a Top 6 spot alongside Schwartz and Schenn is a tad bit surprising is all. Sorry I'm not used to our lines being built like they are and having so much youth injected into the lineup.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I have. And they have had Kyrou paired with Thomas pretty much all of camp. To see him in a Top 6 spot alongside Schwartz and Schenn is a tad bit surprising is all. Sorry I'm not used to our lines being built like they are and having so much youth injected into the lineup.
Gotcha, idk what to make of that. I've only seen 1 game with Kyrou on the 2nd line and didnt have much of an opinion one way or the other. IF I had to guess, Blais will go to SA when Fabbri is ready to go unless Kyrou simply looks overwhelmed. I'd like to see Blais get some shifts on the top line. Maybe in DZ/NZ situations where his speed will make him a better option then Maroon. Though with that said....playing with Thomas isnt the worst thing in the world either

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Who Will Be playing Mikkola or Butler If More injuries?
If Butler plays, it's a troll job. Idk why he's up unless they just want to put a lil more money in his pocket. They love the guy, but he doesnt need to be on NHL ice.

Mikkola might be raw, but his mobility and defense should solidify his spot till Eddy is good to go.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I’d guess Gunnarsson is put on LTIR, and Butler/Mikkola will be sent down when Jerabek clears, and Fabbri comes back(likely very soon since it wasn’t regular IR). Seems we’ll go 13F-8D at that point. All of our other forwards in SA don’t need waivers to go up/down.

In the next week, barring more injuries of course, our roster will likely look like this

Maroon-ROR-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Steen-Bozak-Perron
Fabbri-Thomas-Blais
Barbashev

Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko
Bouwmeester-Schmaltz
Jerabek-Bortuzzo

Allen
Johnson

Out: Gunnarsson, Soshnikov, Sundqvist
Yep, this looks right. Butler and Mikkola are probably sent down on Friday because Bortuzzo will be back and Edmundson/Jerabek should be close enough to be the 7th D.

Fabbri probably is close enough to being the extra forward.

Sundqvist sent down when he gets activated in the future (could be a while) and Gunarsson may be shopped when he gets back (might not be for a month).

Our depth is crazy. We've never had a 4th line like that... I'm very interested to see how it works out.

BlueDuck

Sep 24, 2018
Yep, this looks right. Butler and Mikkola are probably sent down on Friday because Bortuzzo will be back and Edmundson/Jerabek should be close enough to be the 7th D.

Fabbri probably is close enough to being the extra forward.

Sundqvist sent down when he gets activated in the future (could be a while) and Gunarsson may be shopped when he gets back (might not be for a month).

Our depth is crazy. We've never had a 4th line like that... I'm very interested to see how it works out.
I'm eagerly awaiting to see how Yeo plays this out. I'm sure for the first bit of the season we will see 4th line minutes for the 4th line, but if they do well and get the trust of the staff i hope he rewards them by rolling more of a ~15 min per line to keep everyone fresh and rested.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Butler is there because he is literally the lowest possible cap hit short of going with 22 guys.If Edmundson cant play, Bortuzzo is injured, Gunnarsson is on IR, then will play Mikkola for a game. Then Bortuzzo returns.

Butler is an emergency warm body.

Armstrong is working to bank some cap space. It’s going to be tight for a while. Jaskin was a cap casualty as much as he was played off the roster.

Dominicr

Nov 23, 2017
Army says jaskin asked for a trade but couldn’t find a team willing to make a deal.

Also, today’s lines show butler playing tomorrow night since mikkola is paired with bortz and butler with schmaltz. Big minutes coming from petro and parayko tomorrow.

Mar 6, 2012
Only 3 forwards in the opening night lineup were in the opening night lineup last year... (Tarasenko, Schenn, Swartz) That's bonkers!

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Only 3 forwards in the opening night lineup were in the opening night lineup last year... (Tarasenko, Schenn, Swartz) That's bonkers!

I made that observation in another thread because it truly is nuts for a professional team with championship aspirations. What's even crazier is that anywhere between 6 and 9 of the new faces are clear upgrades from the guy they are replacing in the lineup and we still have Fabbri easing his way in.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Fabbri isn't even in the lineup and you can still make the case that the Blues have 3 top 6 lines and a 3rd line. That's crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad