• Linus Ullmark

Votes: 59 51.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
No one tries it, even though plenty of teams over the years have had two good goalies on their roster at the same time.

Like I keep saying, maybe it will work. I'm skeptical, but I'm also open-minded to the possibility. The thing making me crazy is people treating a decision like this as though it's obvious that's what they should do.

I can't recall a team getting a performance like the Bruins got Saturday and changing goalies.

I'm certainly not suggesting it can't or won't work, just that I'd go with the guy who owns the Leafs.

I have confidence in both guys, just think rotating in the playoffs when you play better teams isn't a slam dunk just because it worked in the regular season.

They didn't lose last year because they didn't rotate, they lost because they put a guy in net who wasn't a 100%.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
For what it's worth, I don't think the opinion of those who want Swayman back in is absurd. I get it. He was stellar in game one. Ullmark has his playoff question marks.

The rotation has just worked for two seasons of overachievement. Sorry. It's been the single biggest reason the team has over achieved for the last two seasons. These guys are better for the rotation - they push each other.

It's not broken, so I'm not fixing it. Now if we get a rough performance and loss from Ullmark tonight, Swayman comes back and stones the Leafs in Game 3... And Ullmark comes in for four and shits the bed? It's Sway time.

But I'm not preemptively making that change in Game 2. I'm sticking with what's worked and what's got us to this point.
This/these ^^^^are my exact thoughts on it too. They're both creatures of habit. They're used to the rotation and it's at the end of (and beginning of) a season. Let them stay loose and relaxed in the system that's brought them and the Bruins a great season.
Don't do like last year and fiddle with a system and team that's comfortable in their "ways."
Sweeney built this team to run a certain way, it's in a lot of ways been unorthodox but it is a winning system/team that he's once again put together. Last year he loaded them up, maybe too much? This year, IMO they're more battle tested, have faced ups and some pretty low downs but all in all it works. Let Ullmark face the onslaught to come tonight and turn them away, and then nightmare on Bay St. for the TML in game 3 with Swayman back in net. What can be more demoralizing than facing a team with TWO brick walls in front of their net and knowing that they're both top-flight goaltenders?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'd announce Ullmark as the starter before warmups and have the Leafs make final preparations for him in their pregame meeting, get their scouting reports on him and such, then at the first whistle replace him with Swayman to f*** with their brains.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
I'd announce Ullmark as the starter before warmups and have the Leafs make final preparations for him in their pregame meeting, get their scouting reports on him and such, then at the first whistle replace him with Swayman to f*** with their brains.

lol that's great

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Personally I really don't feel there's a bad choice their both top tier goalies, but if I had to choose one I'd go with Sway just because he seems to heave the Leafs number, but no matter who Monty chooses, lose and he will be blasted for choosing the wrong one. lol

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
I would go with Swayman again but either goalie is capable of winning so I'm not too worried.

The dumb thing in all this is that if the result ends in a loss, the decision is getting criticized either way. No way to avoid it.

"Why would you go away from the rotation!?!?"
vs "Why would you go away from Swayman after he played so good game 1!?!?"

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I would go with Swayman again but either goalie is capable of winning so I'm not too worried.

The dumb thing in all this is that if the result ends in a loss, the decision is getting criticized either way. No way to avoid it.

"Why would you go away from the rotation!?!?"
vs "Why would you go away from Swayman after he played so good game 1!?!?"

And that's why if they really are going with a rotation Montgomery deserves credit for trying something new that comes with a high risk of blame. We can debate whether or not we think it's the right decision, but if he thinks it's the right thing to do good on him for having the stones to go through with something so unconventional/radical. Losers worry about being blamed after the fact. He definitely won't be playing it safe if he starts Ullmark tonight.

Doesn't mean if this is a huge failure we can't criticize the decision. It's sports. They keep score for a reason. And there are legitimate arguments against such a move before it happens, so it won't even be complete hindsight. But we can say, "That was a bad decision," while still recognizing he was willing to make a hard decision he thought was correct.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
And that's why if they really are going with a rotation Montgomery deserves credit for trying something new that comes with a high risk of blame. We can debate whether or not we think it's the right decision, but if he thinks it's the right thing to do good on him for having the stones to go through with something so unconventional/radical. Losers worry about being blamed after the fact. He definitely won't be playing it safe if he starts Ullmark tonight.

Doesn't mean if this is a huge failure we can't criticize the decision. It's sports. They keep score for a reason. And there are legitimate arguments against such a move before it happens, so it won't even be complete hindsight. But we can say, "That was a bad decision," while still recognizing he was willing to make a hard decision he thought was correct.
I do think it's easier to do now, as opposed to down the line when at some point this team will face some adversity/a must win game. I do have faith in both these guys, I just don't like the idea of being locked into a rotation.

They've been great in the regular season, but the regular season is over and pressure comes with the playoffs.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
No one tries it, even though plenty of teams over the years have had two good goalies on their roster at the same time.

Like I keep saying, maybe it will work. I'm skeptical, but I'm also open-minded to the possibility. The thing making me crazy is people treating a decision like this as though it's obvious that's what they should do.
I agree it's not an obvious choice - and personally while I think the tandem could work I'd still go with Sway, but just like you don't like people treating it as an obvious choice I also think the people saying "when's it ever been done" are asking the wrong question because I'd guess that a good 80% of the time a teams starter is considerably better than the backup which is why no one bothers to attempt it.

Besides the last 5-10 years where more teams are finding success in a 50/50 split, it feels like a goalie tandem has mostly been used to keep a starter fresh or is used when a team has two B guys who they don't fully trust as starters and not because a team has two equally capable guys.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
sounds like proving this goalie tandem stuff has trumped caring about actually beating the leafs and playing the goalie who just beat them and has done so multiple times. Sitting a hot goalie to keep him fresh, quite the philosophy

• Haha
Reactions: bb74

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Again, damned if you do, damned if you dont. If they lose regardless of who they started, Monty will be criticized.

Honestly, this isnt even an issue. Both have shown you can win with them in net.

This isnt even their biggest concern heading into this game. IMO its the top guys showing up and the depth continuing to bloom especially if the top guys dont get on the scoreboard.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
For what it's worth, I don't think the opinion of those who want Swayman back in is absurd. I get it. He was stellar in game one. Ullmark has his playoff question marks.

The rotation has just worked for two seasons of overachievement. Sorry. It's been the single biggest reason the team has over achieved for the last two seasons. These guys are better for the rotation - they push each other.

It's not broken, so I'm not fixing it. Now if we get a rough performance and loss from Ullmark tonight, Swayman comes back and stones the Leafs in Game 3... And Ullmark comes in for four and shits the bed? It's Sway time.

But I'm not preemptively making that change in Game 2. I'm sticking with what's worked and what's got us to this point.

Ya but the reason it is so effective in the regular season is due to other teams having to play their backup against us roughly 1/3 of games so it gives an obvious and massive advantage in those games.

That’s not happening in the postseason. So not everything that works in the regular season is going to work in the postseason.

Obviously staying a little more fresh helps but I don’t think that’s a major issue. It’s much more having a vezina quality goalie year round in the regular season while opposing teams are throwing out a true backup 1 out of every 3 games.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
sounds like proving this goalie tandem stuff has trumped caring about actually beating the leafs and playing the goalie who just beat them and has done so multiple times. Sitting a hot goalie to keep him fresh, quite the philosophy
I don't think anyone here cares about proving anything but just have differing opinions on what will work

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Ya but the reason it is so effective in the regular season is due to other teams having to play their backup against us roughly 1/3 of games so it gives an obvious and massive advantage in those games.

That’s not happening in the postseason. So not everything that works in the regular season is going to work in the postseason.

Obviously staying a little more fresh helps but I don’t think that’s a major issue. It’s much more having a vezina quality goalie year round in the regular season while opposing teams are throwing out a true backup 1 out of every 3 games.
This doesn't make any sense to me.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Thinking about it more, if tonight is a loss, the game 3 starter decision should be a relatively easy one. Going with the goalie who didn't start G2 should be obvious and be less contentious than the game 2 starter decision.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Funny scenario

Linus starts tonight. Toronto comes out, plays out of their minds. Linus makes 48 saves for the W in a game where the Bruins get otherwise outplayed.

Now honestly anyone can start game 3. Wouldn't be much controversy either.

Reactions: dangermike

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
I had to look it up.
1972 playoffs

V. Toronto
Cheevers
Cheevers (L)
Johnston
Johnston
Cheevers

V. St Louis
Johnston
Cheevers
Johnston
Cheevers

V. NYR
Cheevers
Johnston
Cheevers (L)
Johnston
Johnston (L)
Cheevers

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Wait a minute, they don't do stuff like this, fuvk with a team's mind. This is NHL Playoff hockey.

If they flipped at the whistle the scorekeeper will be all screwed up. This is NHL Playoff hockey, not tennis.

Go with the hot hand, that is Swayman, right now, until he has a hiccup.

Regardless...End this series, at 2-0 going into Toronto and just imagine a broom sweeps and Toronto doesn't come back to Boston this season.

I am too old and sick for too much excitement late at night.

Go Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad