• Linus Ullmark

Votes: 59 51.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with this rotation talk.

The issue last year was not a lack of a rotation. It was Montgomery sticking with a guy who was CLEARLY INJURED.

I was getting ready to post this. Everyone could see Ulmark had some type of injury in game 5, so lets leave him in for the rest of the game, start him in game 6 and then give Swayman the season in game 7.

The goalie rotation wasn't the issue, the coach was.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
If they had started Linus in game 1, really good chance it ends similar score. And we'd yell "you can't rotate"

lol that's why this is such madness. Both can do it.

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
The psychological advantage Boston would have after Ullmark shuts the door too would be insurmountable for the Leafs, IMO.

If Ullmark loses, the Leafs can fear the return of Sway. I think you stick to the rotation and play Ully.

Reactions: Dupell6

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Trust me, I get it. I've wrestled with it but I just think both goalies have put in amazing performances only to ride the bench next game for the past two seasons. Its not new to them. They can handle it. We're also not starting a scrub in net, he's the reigning Vezina trophy winner. I think whoever they go with, we'll be fine.
This is where I am at. There will be many people here beating there chest when this game is over. In reality it we win it will be deemed the right choice and if we lose it will be considered the wrong decision as if it were the only variable in the game. It's just not the way sport is but it is the nature of chat forums.

I am comfortable with either. I started with leaning to Swayman. I have since been moved to leaning Ullmark. For me I'm fine with coaches decision and I think this series remains winnable no matter tonights outcome.

Reactions: Dizzay

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Unfortunately the indecisions to name a goalie or cement their plan for rotation has them subject to more ridicule unless they just win.

I just hope this isn’t every game where we are doing this.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Has a team ever won the Stanley Cup rotating goalies? Have they even made the Final? CF?

I know teams like Pittsburgh have sat a goalie who won a round because their starter returned from injury, but a pure rotation? Has it ever worked?

(Doesn't mean it won't, just that we're talking something really radical here that a lot of people seem to think would be crazy not to do!)

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Unfortunately the indecisions to name a goalie or cement their plan for rotation has them subject to more ridicule unless they just win.

I just hope this isn’t every game where we are doing this.
Why let the other team know your moves? Pretty obvious this is gamesmanship and not indecision...

Has a team ever won the Stanley Cup rotating goalies? Have they even made the Final? CF?

I know teams like Pittsburgh have sat a goalie who won a round because their starter returned from injury, but a pure rotation? Has it ever worked?

(Doesn't mean it won't, just that we're talking something really radical here that a lot of people seem to think would be crazy not to do!)
Has a team actually ever tried rotating a goalie? And not just due to poor play by one goalie.

I think the answer is no, probably partly because very few teams have ever had a tandem like this. Almost always the starter is levels above the backup

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024

We have :D

Before I was born, mind you

Reactions: EverettMike

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

Not that I can recall.

I'm sure it's happened, but how many teams have changed goalies after game 1 with the goalie giving up one goal stopping 35 out of 36 shots?

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada

Our very own Bruins. One of the 70s cups was an even split.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Our very own Bruins. One of the 70s cups was an even split.

I know that, too, but in my head things have changed so much since the 80s that era feels like a different sport and I didn't even think that far back.

Proves my point, though: this is a radical idea. Maybe it will work, but I'm stunned people are treating it as a given Monty should do it.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

How many examples can you find where a playoff team has had two legit starting goaltenders that ran a rotation for two straight years (to great regular season success) that actually ATTEMPTED the rotation come playoff time?

Asking genuinely. I don't have an example.

I think it's one thing to say "this never works" and another to say "this has never been attempted".

But again... Maybe it happens more often than I can remember.

Reactions: NDiesel

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
How many examples can you find where a playoff team has had two legit starting goaltenders that ran a rotation for two straight years (to great regular season success) that actually ATTEMPTED the rotation come playoff time?

Asking genuinely. I don't have an example.

I think it's one thing to say "this never works" and another to say "this has never been attempted".

But again... Maybe it happens more often than I can remember.

No one tries it, even though plenty of teams over the years have had two good goalies on their roster at the same time.

Like I keep saying, maybe it will work. I'm skeptical, but I'm also open-minded to the possibility. The thing making me crazy is people treating a decision like this as though it's obvious that's what they should do.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
For what it's worth, I don't think the opinion of those who want Swayman back in is absurd. I get it. He was stellar in game one. Ullmark has his playoff question marks.

The rotation has just worked for two seasons of overachievement. Sorry. It's been the single biggest reason the team has over achieved for the last two seasons. These guys are better for the rotation - they push each other.

It's not broken, so I'm not fixing it. Now if we get a rough performance and loss from Ullmark tonight, Swayman comes back and stones the Leafs in Game 3... And Ullmark comes in for four and shits the bed? It's Sway time.

But I'm not preemptively making that change in Game 2. I'm sticking with what's worked and what's got us to this point.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
For what it's worth, I don't think the opinion of those who want Swayman back in is absurd. I get it. He was stellar in game one. Ullmark has his playoff question marks.

The rotation has just worked for two seasons of overachievement. Sorry. It's been the single biggest reason the team has over achieved for the last two seasons. These guys are better for the rotation - they push each other.

It's not broken, so I'm not fixing it. Now if we get a rough performance and loss from Ullmark tonight, Swayman comes back and stones the Leafs in Game 3... And Ullmark comes in for four and shits the bed? It's Sway time.

But I'm not preemptively making that change in Game 2. I'm sticking with what's worked and what's got us to this point.

Yeah that's how I see it. These two push each other constantly to be better. I love that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad