Who should we get rid of and who should we get? (Part II)

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
What I'm saying is that aside Josi, you don't know anything about other Swiss players in the NHL.

Well, you're wrong. I'd love to hear you make an argument for any other Swiss NHL player being better than Josi.

You mention Nino, he's played 145 games and has 39 points, and he's definitely not a defensive stalwart, no one in their right mind would argue that he's better than Josi. Streit used to be better, but age catches up to everyone, he's not the same player he was, last year he was matched up with inferior competition while other Flyers took on the other teams top forwards. Brunner was just terrible last season.

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
Well, you're wrong. I'd love to hear you make an argument for any other Swiss NHL player being better than Josi.

You mention Nino, he's played 145 games and has 39 points, and he's definitely not a defensive stalwart, no one in their right mind would argue that he's better than Josi. Streit used to be better, but age catches up to everyone, he's not the same player he was, last year he was matched up with inferior competition while other Flyers took on the other teams top forwards. Brunner was just terrible last season.

Brunner plays on a bad team and he only gets 3rd line duty. Give El Nino a couple of years and he'll be our best player, he plays on a team which is getting better every year. Streit is better than Josi on the PP (as of yet) and Josi seriously lacks defensive skills which Streit doesn't. Then you have players like Sbisa, Weber, Baertschi, Diaz and Berra who play minor roles on their team so I won't argue that Josi is above them.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
Josi lacks defensive skills? Really? Like????? Cause you know, I watch him 41 nights a year from about 35 feet away for 2 periods, and I'm pretty familiar with our D, and while he's obviously not as physical as say Weber, and he doesn't quite match Suter's positioning, he man's up pretty well against most first lines of the best players in the world - guys like Datsyuk and Crosby and Ovenchicken...... and yes, there are things I'd like to see him improve at, but I can't think of anything where he's remotely lacking or really not 1st pairing caliber.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Josi apparently doesn't just lack defensive skill, but he "seriously lacks defensive skills."

Um... yeah, so this is awkward.

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
At least now I know how good you think he is. No seriously, I don't dislike him, I just think he could improve on his defensive play. And FYI I knew this player well before you knew Switzerland and Sweden were actually two different countries.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
The last bunch of posts have to be a joke. How can a guy who was 5th amongst defensemen in TOI not good defensively. Other guys were on bad teams playing on lower lines or pairings yet here's a guy playing on the 1st pairing on a bad team but is one of the best young defenders in the league. I could care less if he's Swiss, Swedish, Canadian or a Martian for that matter, the kid is a stud, plain and simple, end of story.

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
At least now I know how good you think he is. No seriously, I don't dislike him, I just think he could improve on his defensive play. And FYI I knew this player well before you knew Switzerland and Sweden were actually two different countries.

I don't question how long you've known about Josi, that's irrelevant. I question your general knowledge of hockey if you think Josi "seriously lacks defensive skills" and that Streit is better defensively.

Wrong Box Legwand

Jul 29, 2013
What I find insulting is the assumption that we Nashville fans must surely not know anything about hockey outside of Nashville or even the difference between Switzerland and Sweden. We're not hicks.

gela

Dec 26, 2013
Nashville

I watch Switzerland in international competition and he's largely regarded as hands-down your country's best player...the rest of that is just insulting and dumb. Does he still have room to improve? Sure.

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009

Well the last sentence can't possibly be true. I'm 44 years old. Josi is something like 24-25. I knew that Sweden and Switzerland were different countries when I was 10 years old. So that means I knew of the difference 10 years before Josi was born. Now concerning his place in the hierarchy of Swiss hockey, I'd say few could legitimately argue he's not among the top 3 players presently. And most would argue he's the best.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011

Well I have know Sweden and Switzerland are two different countries since elementary school and I am older than josi so you knew him before his parents even did?

Josi needs to work on his defensive play so we can be considered a better Swiss NHL player than nino?! Lol

Josi is considered a top ten defender in the NHL bro. It's an insult to even 'say' any of those other Swiss players are as good let alone better. Streit was never a top ten like josi is now at his young age. Your embarrassing yourself.

Did you know Canada and USA are different countries?

Go in the trade rumours forum, make a hypothetical trade proposal:

Niño and streit for josi
And bring your flame shield lol.

dougie1107

Jul 6, 2012
Memphis
Well I have know Sweden and Switzerland are two different countries since elementary school and I am older than josi so you knew him before his parents even did?

Josi needs to work on his defensive play so we can be considered a better Swiss NHL player than nino?! Lol

Josi is considered a top ten defender in the NHL bro. It's an insult to even 'say' any of those other Swiss players are as good let alone better. Streit was never a top ten like josi is now at his young age. Your embarrassing yourself.

Did you know Canada and USA are different countries?

Go in the trade rumours forum, make a hypothetical trade proposal:

Niño and streit for josi
And bring your flame shield lol.

Maybe trade value wise. But on-ice performance he is definitely not a top ten defenseman.

Has anyone here actually looked up Streit's numbers this past season? He's still pretty damn good and it's not out of there to say he's still on a level with Josi trade value aside. Obviously I will take Josi eleven times out of ten but there is still an argument to be made.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Maybe trade value wise. But on-ice performance he is definitely not a top ten defenseman.

Has anyone here actually looked up Streit's numbers this past season? He's still pretty damn good and it's not out of there to say he's still on a level with Josi trade value aside. Obviously I will take Josi eleven times out of ten but there is still an argument to be made.

Streit is more expensive, older, on a contract that is in post-prime years, had a decrease in numbers, and plays more sheltered minutes.

Josi is young, in his prime, a force in both ends (not just in the offensive end) ...

His trade value is way higher. It is not even close.

dougie1107

Jul 6, 2012
Memphis
Streit is more expensive, older, on a contract that is in post-prime years, had a decrease in numbers, and plays more sheltered minutes.

Josi is young, in his prime, a force in both ends (not just in the offensive end) ...

His trade value is way higher. It is not even close.

I am aware Josi's trade value is off the charts compared to Streit. I'm saying their on-ice performance is still pretty close.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Lets face it though, if you are a top pairing Dman on a Barry Trotz team that young, its not because you are just good or solid or whatever. After 15 years of Trotz I'm pretty sure most Nashville fans have a pretty good idea what a good Defenseman and a good Goalie are, forwards maybe not so much :P

Whether he is the best, I don't know, its not like I walk around worrying about Swiss hockey. But I know enough to know that if anyone is better, they've got to be pretty damn good.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Jones did well when paired with Weber while Jones was out it did however effect Weber. He Did ok when paired with Klein but when paired with MDZ was when his flaws came out. One can expect he will struggle a bit this season. This is not to say the guy is not going to be a heck of a player but he does have some growing to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad