Who should we get rid of and who should we get? (Part II)

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
If Stasny is the guy best Preds could offer would be 7x7. This places him with Weber and Rinne ast the big three. The remainder of the roster becomes difficult in 4 or 5 years when Forsberg, Jarnkrok, Jones are due to cash in. Granted the Cap will go up but it will hamstring the GM for a while. Recall Leggy and Erats contracts impact when the team was on a budget. While there is no sincre really of the minimum budget issue now they will need to plan for those three which we can all agree we want to keep arround long term also. Its doable but its concerning.

I may not be the most popular person in the main board Spezza thread right now, but literally zero damns are given.

:)

Blues fans... :rant:

Im not a big fan of Spezza. I would like to see that talent on the team but I would prefer someone that is committed here. Not someone that you must caudal to comin here.

Last 4 posts

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
i guess spezza isn't happening. thankful he rejected it to only walk next summer... i guess it's all in for stastny. although I'm not getting my hopes up as a ton of teams will be after his services.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I think Thornton is still on the block.

All we really need is a strong set-up man, and, considering we have a ton of players who pass the puck before looking for a shot, I'm not even sure we need that. It would just be nice is all.

Right now we're shopping for a luxury. It's actually a refreshing place to be in, IMO.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
i guess spezza isn't happening. thankful he rejected it to only walk next summer... i guess it's all in for stastny. although I'm not getting my hopes up as a ton of teams will be after his services.

I'd be extremely surprised, for some of the same reasons cropping up with Spezza not wanting to come here, despite Stastny's familiarity with some our personnel.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
I think Thornton is still on the block.

All we really need is a strong set-up man, and, considering we have a ton of players who pass the puck before looking for a shot, I'm not even sure we need that. It would just be nice is all.

Right now we're shopping for a luxury. It's actually a refreshing place to be in, IMO.

I don't care about Thornton's stigma or age, I'd give up a lot for him. I think a playmaker is exactly what we need though. Sure we have guys who can pass, but not well or remotely on Thornton's or Spezza's level.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I don't know if I'd give up a lot, to be honest. We can't touch our defense. With our blueline, Lavy gets to come in and really run an offense-first system. That may be our biggest position of strength right now, but it's necessary IMO.

If it means bringing in a top line center I'd give up Wilson for sure. Pretty much any pick is up for grabs, including our 2015 first. Then we have several prospects with whom I'd be willing to part.

I used to hate Thornton, but then I read an article about him and his friendship with "Partner." Such a touching story, and now I absolutely adore Jumbo Joe. Still, he is getting up there in years and if we're trading for him it's to take a shot at the Cup. We can't give up too much in terms of actual roster talent to get him.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
If we can get Thornton I'd be doin flips, he regularly pots more assists then any of our player gets points and I still believe he has a couple great years left in him.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
If we can get Thornton I'd be doin flips, he regularly pots more assists then any of our player gets points and I still believe he has a couple great years left in him.

Agree with this. What will it take though? He's older, but he still has a lot of value.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I'm really not sure what the Sharks needs are. I've been so wrapped up in this Spezza thing that I haven't talked to Sharks fans.

I'd imagine younger defense is what they'd like.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
UFA signings for us

This isn't really speculation but I didn't really know what to put as the prefix.

Anyways, I tend to believe we're gonna be in the running for Stastny and I also think we could be looking at Moulson and Stempniak.

I think we should offer Stastny around 7.5 to 8 in order to get him. I know 8 is alot but we could front load the contract like many people have mentioned and give him less towards the end of the contract.

Moulson around 4.5-5 x 4-5 years
Hemsky around 4.5 x 3 years

Not sure if the money for Hemsky above would get it done but I think it's realistic, we've been enamored with him or atleast Poile has been for about 3 years now, just never got anything done. I realize we don't necessarily need both Moulson and Hemsky but if we could dump Nystrom to a non-contender or even a contender that wants some grit we could make it work.

Also, trading MDZ we may need to sign a "filler" d-man for a year or so. What do you guys think? Please don't rip me if you don't like the above haha. Also, I'm not sure about cap wise if the above numbers would work but i just thought I'd start a new thread and see your thoughts.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
I think both Moulson and Hemsky will get bigger deals than you have them down for. I think Ottawa offered Hemsky a deal similar to what you just proposed and he turned them down.

I really like Moulson - I thought he might be a product of playing with Tavares, but he's scores everywhere. I'm no so big on Hemsky.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
If we can't get Stastny or Spezza, I think it would be wise to go after Hemsky. Gotta have somebody to set up Neal. We need another RWer now from the trade

Neal - Wilson - Hemsky
Forsberg - Jarnkrok - Smith

Top 6 is young, but good potential. That is assuming we don't pick up Spezza or Stsatny, not considering any one else just for what is being discussed in the hockey world right now.

As for a LHD to fill the bottom pair with Ellis, my money goes to Orpik. He hits and can hang back for Ellis. Don't know what he would be looking for, that's the problem. I have't given the D men a lot of look but I think he is the only LHD that can be of value

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
I don't really see us signing Orpik honestly. Probably gonna want way too much money. If we can't land Statsny I'd be ok with bringing in hemsky if the price is right.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
If we can't get Stastny or Spezza, I think it would be wise to go after Hemsky. Gotta have somebody to set up Neal. We need another RWer now from the trade

Neal - Wilson - Hemsky
Forsberg - Jarnkrok - Smith

Top 6 is young, but good potential. That is assuming we don't pick up Spezza or Stsatny, not considering any one else just for what is being discussed in the hockey world right now.

As for a LHD to fill the bottom pair with Ellis, my money goes to Orpik. He hits and can hang back for Ellis. Don't know what he would be looking for, that's the problem. I have't given the D men a lot of look but I think he is the only LHD that can be of value
We're screwed if that's the top 6 we go into the season with. Relying on two guys with a combined 25 games NHL experience for anything is really pushing it, not to mention the 1st line center who's never put up even 40 points in a season. Fisher will definitely figure into the top 6 still and if no Stastny or Spezza, we're still looking at at least one, preferably two lesser pickups for the top 6.

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
I think both Moulson and Hemsky will get bigger deals than you have them down for. I think Ottawa offered Hemsky a deal similar to what you just proposed and he turned them down.

I really like Moulson - I thought he might be a product of playing with Tavares, but he's scores everywhere. I'm no so big on Hemsky.

Nope, Ottawa offered Hemsky 3 years 10 mil total. Which he rightfully refused.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
We need a center for Neal but we need a center who can also score on their own. This team has a deficiency of finishers. Set up men need players who can score when set up.

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom
I think Big Joe might be able to play till he's 40, he's not getting any smaller and he won't lose his skill. I would certainly strongly consider trading for him but he is old and has a NTC.

Wrong Box Legwand

Jul 29, 2013
I think if we miss out on Stastny maybe we should try Eric Staal, if the price isn't too high.

Also, any interest in Christian Ehrhoff? Maybe to replace MDZ if we trade him. Also gives more of veteran presence for the defense.

nater97

Jun 26, 2013
As a sens fan, I'm dissapointed and somewhat surprised that Spezza would not waive his no trade. I suppose I can see why you guys were on the 10 team list given the fact you had a tough year last year and that's when he made the list, but your team is trending upwards. With the addition of Neal, to go along with a great younger D core, I'm surprised he did not rethink. Maybe he doesn't want the responsibility of being the sole #1 center again with the accountability that goes along with it, idk.

I personally always hoped he'd end up in Nashville. Best of luck next season!

P.S. Please sign stastny so the blues are forced to overpay for Spez :nod:

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
Hey Sean - **** you.

@imseanavery: No SH$T #Spezza said NO to living in that dump city #Nashville

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Well the compliance buyout craziness has began. looks like Buffalo is buying out Earfoff. This would be a wise pick up for Poile. A veteran on the blueline is needed, give hiam a contract for a couple years giving Jones Ekholm and Ellis a little more time to mature.

Compliance butouts have until tomorrow at 5pm so there will be some action in the next 24 hours as teams dump big contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00