Speculation: Who should we draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Barkov is not a primmadonna lol, if you like Lindholm better that's fine but you can't call barkov a primmadonna.
He is a rock defensively and offensively, if we take Lindholm and barks is available I would be quite upset with poile.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
There are loads of videos of Lindholm and Barkov and for that m,atter all the top ten prospects. If it were me I would Pick Lindholm but thats my preference and the deciding factor in my eyes was the work ethic that he is applaued for Barkov seems to be a primadonna. I think Lindholm would fit into Nashville system better. If Nichuskin was not such a big risk he could well be a steal . Its a while until the draft and lots ciould happen with all of them but at the end of the day there all kids and to expect any of them to just waltz in to Nashville and put up the 60 points that we need as a 1st liner is really not likley to happen.

just because his last name is of Russian descent doesn't mean he's a prima donna

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I think theres a chance we take Lindholm. Barkov is recently gaining momentum and hype and I think we will end up taking him. I havent seen enough from either to say one is definitely better then the other, but Barkov's size and style of play is exactly what we need to build around. Plus I think his game will transition smoother to NA then Lindholm's. Also I see Lindholm AND Forsberg being too similar.

That said Ill be happy with either, and trust our staff to make the best choice.

How in the world are Lindholm and Forsberg similar?

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
there is like a 15% chance Barkov is drafted before one of the big 3.

You may be surprised...

It's a big five (well big four if you consider nichushkins khl contract holding him back).

If barkov went in top three it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
This could be the time we finally get an answer to the old dilemma of "Do we just have trouble drafting elite offensive talent, or does Trotz's coaching style hamper it?" No doubt we're getting someone with tremendous offensive upside. In the coming years we may have an answer to this question. Either way I want Barkov but that's with the assumption Drouin is gone. Either way it's a massive win-win for us.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
This could be the time we finally get an answer to the old dilemma of "Do we just have trouble drafting elite offensive talent, or does Trotz's coaching style hamper it?" No doubt we're getting someone with tremendous offensive upside. In the coming years we may have an answer to this question. Either way I want Barkov but that's with the assumption Drouin is gone. Either way it's a massive win-win for us.

Or is it when we realize that the dilemma as framed by you is inaccurate?

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
i agree.

Forsbergforloop

May 30, 2008
Oahu
Hey guys, I'm no expert, but I wanted to weigh in on this because I'm so excited for our high pick this year!

In the highlight videos, Barkov looks to be a big sized center with tape to tape passing and the ability to use his size to his advantage reminiscent of Joe Thornton. His skating is fine for the way he plays the game. Everyone has seen it, but Craig Button said that Barkov was the best player on the ice for either team in a game that included Mikko Koivu at the beginning of the SM-Liiga season. (Of course, Cody Franson, who played with Elias Lindholm during this lockout, said something along the lines that he would bet that Lindholm becomes a star in the NHL).

Barkov has uncanny defensive and offensive instincts. In the videos, you see him winning puck battles, being in the right positions at all times, and taking advantage of a ridiculous amount of loose pucks. Heck, even the videos that just showed all his shifts in a game looked like highlight videos because he made some kind of impact in each one and was always looking with his "head on a swivel" ala Crispy lol.

The most jaw dropping clip for me was the one where he was fighting two guys for the puck in the corner and made the spinorama, no look pass tape to tape across the ice through at least one set of legs to the goal scorer. There may have been some luck involved there :laugh:, but there is something to be said for his passing skills.

I'm really excited, it looks like we could get this guy, and if he reaches his potential of a more defensive Jumbo Joe, then we could finally have the number 1 center that we have needed since time immemorial. Oh yeah, and if he were born two weeks later, he would have been eligible for the 2014 draft, the youngest player in the history of SM-Liiga to register a point, had the golden helmet for a while on the Kanada cup runner-up team as a 17 year old.

I don't know about OGIAAG's friend saying that the Preds have Barkov listed as number two in the draft, but there might be some truth to that considering that Steven Hoffner also said in his mock draft that "insiders" say that the Preds are high on Barkov. Barkov also had a really good showing in the final exhibition game vs the USA in the World Junior Championships, which Poile is sure to have if not seen, then certainly heard about. Not to mention we have some some of the best European scouts in the business, so be it Barkov or Lindholm, I'm sure we will get the player we need.

As you can tell, I'm mostly on the Barkov boat. It's a Finnish viking warship, so cue the Ensiferum music and charge forward to the 2013 draft! Are you ready? I know I am! :yo:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I don't know 26 goals and 58 points for a 2nd year player on the 3rd line is pretty good.

My point was all the players I listed did ok under Trotz system regardless of who drafted them.

Centers you could make an argument for, wingers, I don't know how his system would prevent them from scoring.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Hey guys, I'm no expert, but I wanted to weigh in on this because I'm so excited for our high pick this year!

In the highlight videos, Barkov looks to be a big sized center with tape to tape passing and the ability to use his size to his advantage reminiscent of Joe Thornton. His skating is fine for the way he plays the game. Everyone has seen it, but Craig Button said that Barkov was the best player on the ice for either team in a game that included Mikko Koivu at the beginning of the SM-Liiga season. (Of course, Cody Franson, who played with Elias Lindholm during this lockout, said something along the lines that he would bet that Lindholm becomes a star in the NHL).

Barkov has uncanny defensive and offensive instincts. In the videos, you see him winning puck battles, being in the right positions at all times, and taking advantage of a ridiculous amount of loose pucks. Heck, even the videos that just showed all his shifts in a game looked like highlight videos because he made some kind of impact in each one and was always looking with his "head on a swivel" ala Crispy lol.

The most jaw dropping clip for me was the one where he was fighting two guys for the puck in the corner and made the spinorama, no look pass tape to tape across the ice through at least one set of legs to the goal scorer. There may have been some luck involved there :laugh:, but there is something to be said for his passing skills.

I'm really excited, it looks like we could get this guy, and if he reaches his potential of a more defensive Jumbo Joe, then we could finally have the number 1 center that we have needed since time immemorial. Oh yeah, and if he were born two weeks later, he would have been eligible for the 2014 draft, the youngest player in the history of SM-Liiga to register a point, had the golden helmet for a while on the Kanada cup runner-up team as a 17 year old.

I don't know about OGIAAG's friend saying that the Preds have Barkov listed as number two in the draft, but there might be some truth to that considering that Steven Hoffner also said in his mock draft that "insiders" say that the Preds are high on Barkov. Barkov also had a really good showing in the final exhibition game vs the USA in the World Junior Championships, which Poile is sure to have if not seen, then certainly heard about. Not to mention we have some some of the best European scouts in the business, so be it Barkov or Lindholm, I'm sure we will get the player we need.

As you can tell, I'm mostly on the Barkov boat. It's a Finnish viking warship, so cue the Ensiferum music and charge forward to the 2013 draft! Are you ready? I know I am! :yo:

Barkov is going to be so bomb!!

He can play defense, he can use his size, he can score, pass, deke, really what can't this guy do? Plus he has great size, he will easily be the BEST forward prospect and very, very possibly the best forward ever to play for us, not to mention it will be awesome he would be drafted by us as well!

I hear ya, I am also so stoked!! About 7 more weeks!! It will feel like much longer though! Lol.

I wonder what number he will wear in the NHL, I want to be one of the firsts to get his jersey once it's all official! (Fingers crossed)

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I just went back and read the predraft post on the prospect board from last years draft class. No one had Forsberg outside of the top 5.

Yeah I still can't believe how he fell to 11. That happened the year before with fowler, the ducks got him at like 11 or 12 (can't remember), but nobody had him rated outside of five as well. If someone slips this year I'm thinking (not including nichushkin because of khl factor which forsberg and fowler didnt have) I could see Lindholm slipping, just got a weird feeling.... Probably will be wrong, but I just cannot see any possibility of any of the big four dropping.

Anyways, I'm happy forsberg is a predator now!

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I just went back and read the predraft post on the prospect board from last years draft class. No one had Forsberg outside of the top 5.

Most sources had him as the second best fwd in the draft, it was just a d-heavy draft.

A lot of the criticisms "magically" appeared when the Caps traded him, and their GM and fans came out with this "2nd liner, tops" and "high bust factor" nonsense.

They try to claim Tom Wilson, who is essentially Austin Watson with even less offense, is a better prospect than Forsberg. Why? because they traded him.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Yeah, I called out one of their posters for reversing his stance. He had no less than 10 post talking about how elite Forsberg was prior to the trade, then, after, he was just a good prospect after the trade with some question marks.

I posted quotes from some of his previous post, showing the changes. After that he went all Arthur Anderson and deleted all the previous post.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I'm playing my study the draft psychology game on GMs and part of me sees TB drafting Nichukin leaving MacK and Barkov there. If this happens guys would you pick Barkov or MacK?

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I'm playing my study the draft psychology game on GMs and part of me sees TB drafting Nichukin leaving MacK and Barkov there. If this happens guys would you pick Barkov or MacK?

Florida will take Mac at 2. It would be Drouin or Barkov.

Either way, you take Drouin or Mac if they're on the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad