Player Discussion Who should still be here in 3+ years?

Who should be core pieces in 3+ years?

• Total voters

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
MULTIPLE CHOICES

EDIT : the point is NOT to find out who should be available for trade. Everyone is/should be available for the right price, that is not the point of the poll. In other words, really NOT to find out who is "untouchable"

Curious to see if there is some kind of concensus as to which players should still be in Ottawa in 3+ years when the team could/should seriously be contending. Don't consider contracts, everyone is moveable (or will be by then) or could even be bought out. So we're talking about 2023-24+ for an exact point in time

I'm only listing the players currently on the team. Not including prospects because we don't know what we have exactly yet. For example, it would be kinda hard to decide if Logan Brown could a piece or not... Some prospects like Sanderson, Formenton, Pinto, etc should/will also be part of the solution but let's not speculate on that, at least not in the vote

Note : not including no brainers like Anisimov, Haley, Stepan and Coburn who shouldn't even be here next season.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The one Iam unsure of is Connor Brown,great middle six player...But I think with the kids we have coming he may just lose his job by year 3

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
Stutzle, Tkachuk, Chabot and then a secondary tier of Batherson and Norris.

Everyone else is expendable.

I pray Melnyk is gone is 3 years.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I confidently added Stutzle, Tkachuk, Batherson, Daccord. Batherson may look like outlier to some, but I think he will be in conversation for best bang for buck of any player in the league 3 years into his new contract, hopefully management smart enough to lock him up and not give a bridge bullshit contract.

Daccord is goalie of the future and I think at worse he's still here for another 3-4 years.

I also think Norris will be staying because he's Brady's best friend and would probably be a cheaper option who would be much better than his contract. An ideal 2nd line C.

I think everyone else expendable for the right price. If Drai is on the market, for example, I can see Chabot offered for him. Aside from that Chabot is a core.

IMO Colin White is traded this off-season.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I confidently added Stutzle, Tkachuk, Batherson, Daccord. Batherson may look like outlier to some, but I think he will be in conversation for best bang for buck of any player in the league 3 years into his new contract, hopefully management smart enough to lock him up and not give a bridge bullshit contract.

Daccord is goalie of the future and I think at worse he's still here for another 3-4 years.

I also think Norris will be staying because he's Brady's best friend and would probably be a cheaper option who would be much better than his contract. An ideal 2nd line C.

I think everyone else expendable for the right price. If Drai is on the market, for example, I can see Chabot offered for him. Aside from that Chabot is a core.

IMO Colin White is traded this off-season.
Tierney will likely move before White does

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Tierney will likely move before White does

Could see White used this off-season to nab a defender who could be expansion draft casualty for another team. Tierney offloaded next trade deadline. White plays so much like O'Reilly but his IQ has gotten some how progressively worse; I am so puzzled how this could be.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
Voted Tim, Brady, Chabot, Norris, Batherson, Brannstrom, Daccord, Paul, Zub.

Hoping we can keep Paul but he may be pricey if he keeps up this level of play. Definitely have a soft spot for Zub, especially as a RHD.

I certainly wouldn't be upset to keep White but I'd also be open to trading him if it meant more money being available for any of the above players. I also have no issues with C. Brown, Dadonov, Murray or Watson but I don't see them as core pieces.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Could see White used this off-season to nab a defender who could be expansion draft casualty for another team. Tierney offloaded next trade deadline. White plays so much like O'Reilly but his IQ has gotten some how progressively worse; I am so puzzled how this could be.
I have come to accept White as a great 3rd line defensive center, rather than expect him to be a top 6 guy that can produce consistantly...Which is why I have him staying,and Tierney leaving as I have him as more of a tweener....Plug White between two good 3rd liners say Brown and Paul and presto a great 3rd line

Reactions: MiscBrah

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Chabot, Stützle, Tkachuk, Batherson, Zub. That's it.

Norris and Brannstrom hopefully end up being core players but I could easily trade them for upgrades.

Reactions: DrEasy

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Based on the results so far, we are not in a great position if we have only found out 5 pieces who should be there when we want to compete. Hopefully we the fans are wrong because if we are right, we're in for a very long rebuild and maybe never successful ala Sabres/Oilers

4th season since the downfall, only found 5 pieces out of ~15 needed... NOT LOOKING GOOD.

Chabot, Stützle, Tkachuk, Batherson, Zub. That's it.

Norris and Brannstrom hopefully end up being core players but I could easily trade them for upgrades.

Edited the OP, the point was NOT to find out who should be expendable or who is untouchable.

Batherson, Tkachuk, Norris, Stutzle...that is all.

If that's the case, we are several years away from making the playoffs and even farther from competing, thinking 5+ years. We'll need to bottom out for another 3 drafts. Need to build a WHOLE defense.

A rebuild is successful when you find a good chunk of players on who you can rely on year after year.

Last edited:

WaitingInVain

Jul 5, 2012
Melnyk might be out/dead, and then Dorion will be out of a job. Ownership change = management time. Loyalty has its weight. But who knows?

Ultimately, I don't see much changing. We're seeing the big influx of talent, and we'll see a couple of first round picks contend for a spot amongst this group.

The core for this team is large. It has taken a long time to accumulate the talent.

Stützle
- Pinto - Batherson
Tkachuk
- Paul - Norris
Formenton
- Greig - Sokolov

A few interesting picks.

1. I could see Stü as the Kane of this team, and stays at wing. Not sure Järventie will reach his ceiling.
  2. I see Pinto as a top 6 center.
  3. Greig in the Pageau 3C role.
  4. Norris likely moves to wing.
  5. White will be nearing the end of the contract, and Sokolov is the guy who takes the top 9 spot.
  6. Paul has been sneaky good and keeps getting better. Probably traded for assets.

Sanderson - Brannstrom
Chabot
- Zub/JBD

Even if Zub is signed after this season, when you think of 3+ years this could be right around the time where he is moved for assets and Bernard-Docker solidifies his spot in the top 4 long-term.

I think most of us see Brannstrom on the right side if he's here long-term, or Chabot wil be moved down the line. Sanderson is the future top pairing LD of this team.

Daccord is the goalie. Not sure who the back-up will be.

Last edited:

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I included DJ lol
I can’t help but like that guy, his teams play hard, system looks pretty good with emphasis on a hard 2 man forecheck.
Just don’t let him pick all the players.

Reactions: Smeddy

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
Based on the results so far, we are not in a great position if we have only found out 5 pieces who should be there when we want to compete. Hopefully we the fans are wrong because if we are right, we're in for a very long rebuild and maybe never successful ala Sabres/Oilers

4th season since the downfall, only found 5 pieces out of ~15 needed... NOT LOOKING GOOD.

Edited the OP, the point was NOT to find out who should be expendable or who is untouchable.

I think the word core was used and that's what threw people off. A core is smaller than deciding which current players can/should be part of a competitive team 3 years from now.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think the word core was used and that's what threw people off. A core is smaller than deciding which current players can/should be part of a competitive team 3 years from now.

Yes, damn.

Can a mod change the question wording please?

"Who should still be here in 3+ years?" That would be enough I guess

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
A core usually means a key piece at every core position,but in reality the two most important areas have been at center and at defense

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
I vote for a lot of players but these are the Tier 1 and Tier 2 core pieces that I would want to still see in 3 years time

Tier 1:
Stutzle
Chabot
Batherson
Norris
Tkachuk
Brannstrom

Tier 2:
White
Paul
Zub
Dzingel
Daccord?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I vote for a lot of players but these are the Tier 1 and Tier 2 core pieces that I would want to still see in 3 years time

Tier 1:
Stutzle
Chabot
Batherson
Norris
Tkachuk
Brannstrom

Tier 2:
White
Paul
Zub
Dzingel
Daccord?
Good list ,Dzingle is the only one I would be ok with letting go...Formenton may be a replacement by then

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Good thread.

For me, core answers yes to these questions:

"Can you be elite in the particular role you play (and are paid for)?"
"If we traded you to a top contender could you hold your same spot in their depth chart?"

Guys like Chris Neil and Pager checked these boxes. So do Matthews and Crosby. I think Norris and Pinto will too.

It's like WAR per million salary dollars. How much more than the next guy do you help us win, relative to your salary?

I get flamed for saying it, but I would trade a few of our big stars for packages to stack these "elite" players throughout the entire middle and bottom parts of the roster. I would also target these types of players heavily in the draft (which Dorion already does).

You lose the star power, but I think it makes you one of the toughest teams in the league to beat. It also reduces the risk of taking on boat anchor contracts that will sink our budget team.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Ok this about the 5th time you are proposing to trade White .. and your assessment of his IQ getting worse is off the mark.

They should be packaging Brannstrom for a good RHD imo. Brannstrom is going to have a hard time cutting it

yogibear

Mar 21, 2007
Ottawa/Gatineau
Considering how Chabot has been playing for the past two years, i could see him being moved for the right price.
I am somewhat disappointed with his play. I don't see any recent progress, and he is paid a lot of $$$. If the Sens are going to be contenders, Chabot will have to do a lot better.

Also, it will be impossible to keep ALL of young core intact for a long period of time. Some contracts will have to be moved.

Reactions: SensFactor

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Considering how Chabot has been playing for the past two years, i could see him being moved for the right price.
I am somewhat disappointed with his play. I don't see any recent progress, and he is paid a lot of $$$. If the Sens are going to be contenders, Chabot will have to do a lot better.

Also, it will be impossible to keep ALL of young core intact for a long period of time. Some contracts will have to be moved.
I would hate to see Chabot go but in all honesty this may happen. Especially if JBD, Sanderson, Thomson, Kleven and our first rounder this year (likely a Dman - Power/Hughes/Clarke) work out.

Reactions: WaitingInVain

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
I am not letting Chabot go unless Sanderson turns into a legit #1 D and JBD and Kleven turns into a legit top 4. Regardless how bad he has been, he is still the most important player on this team and not having him in the lineup makes us x7 times worst.

Chabot never had a chance to play with a good D core and a good team. Let's wait and see how he does when this team actually gets good and start to contend

Reactions: WaitingInVain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad