Speculation: Who should be the new head coach of the Washington Capitals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Any reason for that? I've heard a few Nashville posters say that if Trotz was coming here then Fenton most likely wouldn't. Did they not have a great relationship?
@diamondhockey: @DanDBradley I don't think that's it [a power struggle]. I would think Barry would want a clean break from what he was doing here.

Makes sense but more of a hunch.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
@diamondhockey: @DanDBradley I don't think that's it [a power struggle]. I would think Barry would want a clean break from what he was doing here.

Makes sense but more of a hunch.
Ah alright. Some Preds posters made it sound like thry didn't have a great relationship or something may have happened.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...rs-coach-barry-trotz/article4100299/?page=all

The avoidance of micromanaging should be refreshing post-Oates but glossing over X's & O's is a bit concerning. It's particularly concerning if the coaching staff is coupled with a GM that doesn't have much of an analytics approach or overall vision on top of it. Shero has used some analytics to inform moves in the past--Neal/Niskanen specifically--but seemed to abandon that with the additions of Morrow & Murray (pure grit & 'leadership' moves).

One thing Trotz hasn't really managed is a star on the level of Ovechkin (or an offensive duo on the level of 8/19 overall). It's a different dynamic, particularly in managing 8's ego vs. a willingness to mature and diversify his abilities. It's always a looming issue. A GM capable of supporting the coaching staff with the right mix should be able to raise the team's level of play regardless. Still, it's hard to say what a team led by Ovechkin & Backstrom looks like in a more organic, involved sense.

c4c: That same NSH writer was 'very skeptical' it would be Fenton following Trotz.

There's some stuff from Japers Rink on Trotz, and it mentions that Trotz appears to have become an analytics guy fairly recently (within the past couple seasons) and has consulted with Eric Tulsky (and others, I assume) on certain matters. That seems encouraging, especially since Nashville saw a pretty significant jump in possession numbers from '12-'13 to '13-'14.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
What does anyone know about Tortzs PP, I wouldnt mind keeping the Oates 1-3-1 it was the only bright part of the season.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
What does anyone know about Tortzs PP, I wouldnt mind keeping the Oates 1-3-1 it was the only bright part of the season.

We should keep our PP, but if we don't, I know Nashville's PP is usually surprisingly high in % given their lack of offensive talent.
Edit:
2013-14: 12th at 19.2%
2012-13: 17th at 17.1%
2011-12: 1st at 21.6%

Not bad, but I hope we keep our old system.

Last edited:

noptov

Jan 27, 2009
Mclean, VA
We should keep our PP, but if we don't, I know Nashville's PP is usually surprisingly high in % given their lack of offensive talent.
Edit:
2013-14: 12th at 19.2%
2012-13: 17th at 17.1%
2011-12: 1st at 21.6%

Not bad, but I hope we keep our old system.

If the goal turret ain't broke, don't fix it.

Liberati0n*

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...rs-coach-barry-trotz/article4100299/?page=all

The avoidance of micromanaging should be refreshing post-Oates but glossing over X's & O's is a bit concerning. It's particularly concerning if the coaching staff is coupled with a GM that doesn't have much of an analytics approach or overall vision on top of it. Shero has used some analytics to inform moves in the past--Neal/Niskanen specifically--but seemed to abandon that with the additions of Morrow & Murray (pure grit & 'leadership' moves).

One thing Trotz hasn't really managed is a star on the level of Ovechkin (or an offensive duo on the level of 8/19 overall). It's a different dynamic, particularly in managing 8's ego vs. a willingness to mature and diversify his abilities. It's always a looming issue. A GM capable of supporting the coaching staff with the right mix should be able to raise the team's level of play regardless. Still, it's hard to say what a team led by Ovechkin & Backstrom looks like in a more organic, involved sense.

c4c: That same NSH writer was 'very skeptical' it would be Fenton following Trotz.

Trotz and Oates are polar opposites as people, but the Xs and Os thing could actually be an Oates quote. Again, polar opposites, so in a lot of ways the implications are different, but jeez. Oates also would've said it with preference to his stick curve adjustments and ****, rather than what Trotz means, but...it sucks reading that.

Could you elaborate/link on the Shero and analytics thing? I guess that's what the dinosaur thing meant too.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Trotz seems like a solid, if not very inspiring, choice.

With a proven coach it's less problematic to have him hired before a GM. Not ideal, as it still would've been better for a GM to hire a coach consistent with an overall philosophy, but w/e. Low expectations.

I agree about Trotz. But hiring the coach before the GM is putting the cart before the horse. If it's true, it shows that the GM won't have autonomy. Bad, bad, bad if it's true.

ForzaItalia

Mar 23, 2008
Toronto, ON
I agree about Trotz. But hiring the coach before the GM is putting the cart before the horse. If it's true, it shows that the GM won't have autonomy. Bad, bad, bad if it's true.

Again, nobody knows the actual process. For all we know the Caps have narrowed it down to a couple of GMs who both want Trotz as the HC.

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
If we hire Trotz he better bring Mitch Korn as goalie Coach with him. He is out of contract and his success in coaching goalies speeks volumes. He really should help Holtby and Grubauer develop. :nod:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Boris would like the hire announced today

BORISBAD.JPG

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
@adamvingan
@AdamVingan: VIa @FriedgeHNIC, #Caps AGM MacLellan was involved in Trotz's interview: "Unlikely someone on the way out would be so heavily involved."

:cry:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Sounds like MacLellan will be the mole, or the GM. Either way, same thing. A middle man with no power.

Not getting wayne threw a wrench into their plans.

LifetimeUFA

Apr 12, 2014
I cant believe Maclellan is even in consideration, but with Ted nothing is really surprising. If someone can sell the idea that he wont be another McPhee,I'm all ears...

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Oates getting some consideration as next HC of the Canucks in their board.

Some of them actually seem to want him, while others already know where they'd be getting into with him. :laugh:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I cant believe Maclellan is even in consideration, but with Ted nothing is really surprising. If someone can sell the idea that he wont be another McPhee,I'm all ears...

It's probably more Patrick than Ted if this happens. As I stated in the GM thread, MacLellen signifies a power assertion by Patrick. A new strong minded GM like Shero would mean Patrick is not the loudest voice. MacLellen would keep the status quo.

That said, MacLellen *could* work out. He would understand the traits that made George successful, and would hope would understand the traits that ultimately made George fail. He'd obviously take a starting tact that would steer away from the failures, yet while still holding onto the successes.

It could work. I'm not rooting for MacLellen to get the job, at all...as I feel a new voice is needed, and badly. But if Patricks still going to be the guy in charge, then MacLellen it is.

As i asked in the other thread...this conjecture on MacLellen begs the question: does Patrick understand his own role in the 35+ years of failure he's been a part of? MacLellen being hired screams a resounding "NO....he does not".

We will see

LifetimeUFA

Apr 12, 2014
great points, im sold. He is not the guy I would want but it could always be worse. my glass shall remain half full for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille