Speculation: Who should be the new head coach of the Washington Capitals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I wouldn't sweat the 1. hire GM and then 2. hire coach angle too much.

The two GM candidates who have recieved the most attention are Nashville assistant GM Paul Fenton and Ray Shero, who himself was assistant GM in Nashville from 1998-2006. Both have long histories with Trotz and a ready working relationship with him. I can't imagine this hasn't come up in discussions with all three parties.

Either way, whenever they secretly close the deal with Trotz, they will most likely publicly hire both the GM and coach on the same day.

Personally, I'm pleased. Experience at both positions is what I was hoping to see. They've had their fill of hiring young guns, I'd have thought.

The Caps are as good an option as any for a coach/executive on the outs. Few can afford to be extremely choosy. Babcock, sure. Most others just want to work, and there are only 30 shops hiring.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Except trotz has ties with Shero and Fenton so I'm sure it's all been discussed along the way.

Yep. Simple question in the GM interview, "If you are hired who is your first choice to be head coach"?

The Caps are as good an option as any for a coach/executive on the outs. Few can afford to be extremely choosy. Babcock, sure. Most others just want to work, and there are only 30 shops hiring.

Agree. Plus it says something to me that Trotz (if true) chose the Caps when he could have named his destination. FLA, CAR, VAN, probably calls from PITT and TOR as well.

I am not jumping up and down or anything, but this is so much better than getting some rookie coach AGAIN.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
I didn't like Noel as a head coach, but I'd love if it we could get a very experienced coach in Trotz with an assistant in Noel who also has head coach experience. The more experience the better.

At first I wasn't crazy about Trotz, but I'm all in. Hire him, and then Shero. I just want a coach where I don't have to wonder if he's in over his head. Trotz will give me that luxury.

Last edited:

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
congrats on getting trotz. he is a class act and great person. i think y'all will love him. him being a coach that stifles offense is a stretch IMO. he has never had a real group of forwards to work with other than a year or two in his tenure here.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
No man. That is YOUR version of bold. You always think that if someone doesn't see things from your viewpoint (your perception) then it's somehow not possible for it to be true. Very singular of thought.

That's fine.

But it doesn't make it so.
bold
adjective
(of a person, action, or idea) showing an ability to take risks; confident and courageous.

On what planet is hiring the most experienced coach and most experienced GM available courageous or indicative of an ability to take risks? Unless you've got some far-flung definition of bold that's not in line with the accepted definition, you're way off.

Cassidy was not on a lot of hot lists, as you state. He was a left field hire....go read some of the articles at ten time of his hire. Not a lot of people were looking at him. And had been so hot....why has he had zero work behind an NHL bench since 2006. At his age, that's pretty telling.
Cassidy was certainly a gamble given his no NHL experience, but he was the reigning AHL coach of the year. He was certainly an up-and-comer. The last point is just...odd. It's pretty obvious that he hasn't been behind an NHL bench since 2006 because he proved himself a failure at the NHL level. I honestly have no idea why anyone would make a connection between his employment status 4 years after he was hired (and fired) and how he was perceived before being hired.

What name franchise would make hires like these? Vancouver Canucks. New York Rangers. Montreal Canadians. Boston Bruins. Los Angeles Kings. Chicago Blackhawks.

Look at their recent hires for coaches. Which one of those hired a rookie coach recently? How have they done the last 5 years? Rangers, Kings, and Canucks hired experienced GM's and coaches. Hawks, Bruins, Canadians all hired experienced coaches. Yes, they hired assistant GM's. With pedigree, but as Shero WAS an assistant with pedigree...who also WON a Cup. Not sure how actually winning a cup, after being the pedigree type, hurts him?
Well you're certainly wrong about Vancouver, since you know, they didn't hire that combo. The Rangers hired their coach and GM over a decade apart and the Kings 5 years apart. Not really applicable to the Caps situation.

So if Bowman, Lombardi, or Chiarelli got let go....hiring them would be a mistake because they had already been GM's of a franchise?

I do not understand your logo here. Even a little bit. My guess is you enjoy the antagonist role.
My logic here is that you're implying Shero/Trotz is the sort of combo hire that good organizations would make, when there's absolutely no basis for that.

And how do you know they haven't done all that homework on Trotz? How he would fit in? He's been unemployed for weeks. Caps have needed a head coach for weeks. What's part of that isn't well thought out and doesn't show a depth of thinking?

My guess is you don't know, and you just don't want Trotz as the hire. "Not your guy". Or you are just being argumentative.
I'm fine with Trotz. I don't want Shero.

Edit-- and the last name hire the Caps made was Wilson. How did that turn out? Let me guess.....you will somehow tell me "not well"
Wilson was fine. The Caps did well with him. I'm not sure where you're coming up with the notion that I'm against 'name' hires. I'm not. Lavy was by far my top pick for coach. And like I said, I'm fine, albeit skeptical, with Trotz. I have a problem with hiring names just for the sake of hiring names, which IMO the Caps would be doing by hiring Shero. I mean, what were GMGM's major failings? Failing to properly fill two need positions (2C and defensive defensemen that won't wilt in the postseason). What are Shero's major failings? Failing to properly fill two need positions (top-6 wingers and defensive defensemen that won't wilt in the playoffs).

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
It's interesting that the reports are saying Trotz is telling other teams he is no longer available. That would mean he's definitely coming here. The remaining GM candidates must know that then and be good with it. Both hirings will probably be announced together.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
There are three legit candidates still in the playoffs (Futa, MacIver, Gorton), so I'm guessing that's the hold up on the GM hire. If they were set on Shero, there'd be no point in holding off.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
bold
adjective
(of a person, action, or idea) showing an ability to take risks; confident and courageous.

On what planet is hiring the most experienced coach and most experienced GM available courageous or indicative of an ability to take risks? Unless you've got some far-flung definition of bold that's not in line with the accepted definition, you're way off.

Cassidy was certainly a gamble given his no NHL experience, but he was the reigning AHL coach of the year. He was certainly an up-and-comer. The last point is just...odd. It's pretty obvious that he hasn't been behind an NHL bench since 2006 because he proved himself a failure at the NHL level. I honestly have no idea why anyone would make a connection between his employment status 4 years after he was hired (and fired) and how he was perceived before being hired.

Well you're certainly wrong about Vancouver, since you know, they didn't hire that combo. The Rangers hired their coach and GM over a decade apart and the Kings 5 years apart. Not really applicable to the Caps situation.

My logic here is that you're implying Shero/Trotz is the sort of combo hire that good organizations would make, when there's absolutely no basis for that.

I'm fine with Trotz. I don't want Shero.

Wilson was fine. The Caps did well with him. I'm not sure where you're coming up with the notion that I'm against 'name' hires. I'm not. Lavy was by far my top pick for coach. And like I said, I'm fine, albeit skeptical, with Trotz. I have a problem with hiring names just for the sake of hiring names, which IMO the Caps would be doing by hiring Shero. I mean, what were GMGM's major failings? Failing to properly fill two need positions (2C and defensive defensemen that won't wilt in the postseason). What are Shero's major failings? Failing to properly fill two need positions (top-6 wingers and defensive defensemen that won't wilt in the playoffs).

Dude. Bold can also mean flashy or showy. Hiring the 2 top (expensive) candidates doesn't fit that bill?

Leonsis is moving away from his prescription of hiring outside the box candidates. It's a bold move for him (courageous) and a bold stroke for this franchise. Doesn't it ever get old standing on ceremony over a freaking word? These types of hires are not typical for this team, and it's puts the franchise squarely on the winners landscape. Whether they actually work or not remains to be seen. You don't love the hires. Too bad. Stop busting my balls over a word, when in the end, the point is accurate.

I also wasnt wrong about anything with the franchises I mentioned. All have hired name candidates in one of those 2 roles. I never stated it happened together, at the same time. That's your assumption.

Shero failed to get top 6 wingers? What are Neal and Kunitz, again? His defenseman were worlds better than most teams. His teams failed due to crappy goaltending (was MAF's contract even his choice? After hearing about Letang, I wouldn't be so sure), and poor play from his franchise centers. Crosby was terrible this year. Malkin had issues last year. You sound like you've been reading the Pens board, or something with those comments.

We will see what happens. My guess is you need to prepared to be upset.

Oh well for you

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
There are three legit candidates still in the playoffs (Futa, MacIver, Gorton), so I'm guessing that's the hold up on the GM hire. If they were set on Shero, there'd be no point in holding off.

Or they haven't yet come to an agreement over a contract, and they have to finalize it w Trotz now. As he has another offer he has to decide on. Ever hired anyone into a management role and also hired some of their staff at the same time? Things don't always fall in line according to plan when it comes to timelines. **** happens, and if you want someone, you hire who you can....when you can.

It's not like Trotz is some clown that no team or GM wants. Ted did his homework and ensured that any candidate he wanted for GM was fine w Trotz as coach. These things don't happen in a vacuum.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Futa is staying put in LA after they bumped up his responsibilities. As much as I'd like to Maciver & Gorton to be involved in the process I think the timing has more to do with the ending of the Wizards playoff run. We know the Trotz interview and some of the GM interviews took place just last week so that seems like when the process really starting moving. They seem to have moved on Trotz and may very well have moved on a GM as well. I'd guess a joint announcement Tues/Wed and Shero seems like the odds on favorite.

Reading up on Shero he's not quite the dinosaur I thought he might be based on some actions. I'm not sure he'd come in with a chip on his shoulder quite like a Sweeney/Gorton/Maciver looking to prove himself but I'm sure he'd at least want to stick it to Pittsburgh and prove their decision suspect.

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC
Well, there are 30 teams. So bottom 10 in the NHL landscape as far as franchise pinache. I am pretty sure we could name 20 teams that are seen as more sexy than the Caps.

You think Caps are a desirable destination in the hockey world?

Oh, and why take the job? Gee....I don't know $$$$$$

You're way underselling the Caps as a destination, and I think you're about to see that reflected in Trotz picking the Caps over multiple suitors. Major, east coast market, owner that'll spend on the team, roster not bereft of talent, team with a decent amount of visibility (hosting the Winter Classic, routinely on television etc.). It's definitely not the Rangers or Blackhawks job, but getting talented people to come work in DC was never going to be a problem.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Reading up on Shero he's not quite the dinosaur I thought he might be based on some actions. I'm not sure he'd come in with a chip on his shoulder quite like a Sweeney/Gorton/Maciver looking to prove himself but I'm sure he'd at least want to stick it to Pittsburgh and prove their decision suspect.

Is it wrong that this is the only reason I like the idea of Shero? I 100% believe in the "scorned ex boyfriend" approach. :laugh:

You're way underselling the Caps as a destination, and I think you're about to see that reflected in Trotz picking the Caps over multiple suitors. Major, east coast market, owner that'll spend on the team, roster not bereft of talent, team with a decent amount of visibility (hosting the Winter Classic, routinely on television etc.). It's definitely not the Rangers or Blackhawks job, but getting talented people to come work in DC was never going to be a problem.

Agree with this. It bothers me that people undersell this team as much as they do. I would take our prospect pool (high end) over a lot of teams. Plus the Caps were the 5th youngest NHL team last season, not some aging team with scrubs. Florida are a few years away, Vancouver is old, Carolina is talent deficient, the Leafs are a mess contractually, same with the Pens, plus older roster in key positions.

Not saying the Caps are winning the Cup next season, the D is a mess and goaltending is a question mark, but of the teams above I like the Caps chances of being competitive with competent coaching and another solid Dman.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Trotz seems like a solid, if not very inspiring, choice.

With a proven coach it's less problematic to have him hired before a GM. Not ideal, as it still would've been better for a GM to hire a coach consistent with an overall philosophy, but w/e. Low expectations.

Last edited:

ForzaItalia

Mar 23, 2008
Toronto, ON
Trotz seems like a solid, if not very inspiring, choice.

With a proven coach it's less problematic to have him hired before a GM. Not ideal, as it still would've been better for a GM to hire a coach consistent with an overall philosophy, but w/e. Low expectations.

While I agree with you in principle, we don't know what is truly going on behind the scenes. For all we know, Caps have narrowed it down to two GM candidates and both preferred Trotz.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I still get the feeling we are doing it backwards; finding the coach we want and then a GM that will take him. Probably aided in his liking Trotz by being handed a big fat check.

5 mil per.. um, yeah, I like what's his name... Boris? Oh yeah Barry. I like him a lot.

If everyone all knows each other from previous stops, we are just putting the old band back together. Someone else's band, that presume failed. I want a fresh perspective.

But getting a guy with NHL coaching experience is a major step forward, mind you.

Last edited:

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Dude. Bold can also mean flashy or showy. Hiring the 2 top (expensive) candidates doesn't fit that bill?

Leonsis is moving away from his prescription of hiring outside the box candidates. It's a bold move for him (courageous) and a bold stroke for this franchise. Doesn't it ever get old standing on ceremony over a freaking word? These types of hires are not typical for this team, and it's puts the franchise squarely on the winners landscape. Whether they actually work or not remains to be seen. You don't love the hires. Too bad. Stop busting my balls over a word, when in the end, the point is accurate.

I also wasnt wrong about anything with the franchises I mentioned. All have hired name candidates in one of those 2 roles. I never stated it happened together, at the same time. That's your assumption.

Shero failed to get top 6 wingers? What are Neal and Kunitz, again? His defenseman were worlds better than most teams. His teams failed due to crappy goaltending (was MAF's contract even his choice? After hearing about Letang, I wouldn't be so sure), and poor play from his franchise centers. Crosby was terrible this year. Malkin had issues last year. You sound like you've been reading the Pens board, or something with those comments.

We will see what happens. My guess is you need to prepared to be upset.

Oh well for you
It's ok to admit you were wrong about calling the potential hiring bold. No one will remember it a few months from now.

And yes, you were wrong about those franchises, since they never made that combination hire. The ones you think you were right about, they hired an experienced GM who, years later, hired an experienced coach. In the context of the Caps, it's not at all applicable.

Ask Pittsburgh fans how they feel about Shero's job surrounding Crosby with wingers. They're lacking of wingers and created a lack of scoring depth that was unable to compensate when one of their big guns was off. You'd despise his defenses on the Caps and his propensity towards soft puck movers, so I have no idea why you're defending it now. And I'm not sure what hearing about Letang has to do with that.

We will indeed see what happens. If it does happen, I sure as hell hope Shero changes his stripes, else we're in for another long period of mediocrity.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
It's ok to admit you were wrong about calling the potential hiring bold. No one will remember it a few months from now.

And yes, you were wrong about those franchises, since they never made that combination hire. The ones you think you were right about, they hired an experienced GM who, years later, hired an experienced coach. In the context of the Caps, it's not at all applicable.

Ask Pittsburgh fans how they feel about Shero's job surrounding Crosby with wingers. They're lacking of wingers and created a lack of scoring depth that was unable to compensate when one of their big guns was off. You'd despise his defenses on the Caps and his propensity towards soft puck movers, so I have no idea why you're defending it now. And I'm not sure what hearing about Letang has to do with that.

We will indeed see what happens. If it does happen, I sure as hell hope Shero changes his stripes, else we're in for another long period of mediocrity.

Talking over someone doesn't make you right man.

I'm sorry you can't take the time to actually understand what I am saying. Not only are you missing what I am saying about name hires, you don't believe Webster's, and are butchering the queens English.

Well done.

Instead if arguing with you, as you can't seem to hear me, I will let this go.

It's a terrific hire in Trotz, and hopefully Shero. It's a very bold move for Ted and Dick (Dick has real NHL men now to deal with, which is largely going undiscussed...so any pushover mentality that may have existed in the fiefdom of Patrick is now gone), whether you want to understand that or not. You have every right to be obtuse, I won't argue that.

Cheers to Ted!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Probably every Caps fan I encounter with an interest other than "Ovechkin WOOO!" has had some variation of the following takes on coaching:

1- Get a veteran coach, stop hiring rookie HCs
2- Should never have fired Boudreau, too quick to pull the trigger on him
3- Hunter's system was boring but it seemed to work

Isn't that the gist of it? And it would seem Trotz fits at least two of those criteria and maybe all three if he's given a long enough contract, say 5 years with options. If the expectation is to make the defense better while having the best offense possible per the roster, and creating some stability with a veteran coach to boot, then Trotz is easily the best fit per the fan perception criteria.

Personally, I wanted Lavi, but Trotz is a good option to fall back on in theory. We'll see. Oates said all the right things early on but he also had a fraction of Trotz's experience.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

Well..the only true way to counter balance your comments is to have proof, which is hard to translate, either way.

Since Wilson took the job back in 1997, it's pretty hard to name 1 legitimate top person in the NHL who has *chosen* to come to the Caps. Be it coach, or player.

Trotz would be the first one. Most leave if they are traded here.

The Caps franchise, to the outside observer, is not looked at with a lot of excitement. There was a brief period there in 2008-2011 when that may have changed....but it's gone.

I am betting Ted will be ponying up coin to get his men. Top dollars. That's ok, as sometimes you need to buy your way into things.

Liberati0n*

Trotz is a safe option, but he still has upside. Given the problems with Oates, it makes sense that they sought the most experienced candidate possible. I still don't think experience itself is an issue one way or another, as much as a proxy for others, but Trotz has proven himself to be an effective NHL coach. It'll be interesting to see how he approaches this roster / Ovechkin and Backstrom in particular. Those quotes about fitting yourself to your core players or whatever didn't look as bad when I looked back at them, but I really would've liked a coach who will push players individually to round out and improve their games, and I don't know if Trotz really will. (I don't mean like Ovechkin backchecking or something.)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I know it's hard when analyzing teams in other towns because you don't get as much local nuts and bolts info, but can anyone think of any player dissatisfaction in Nashville that was NOT related to lack of money or a chance at a Cup?

Point being, I don't recall hearing anything about Trotz having problems with players, whatever their status (star, grunt, etc). One thing experience brings is the knowledge of how to deal with different personalities and people in situations you might only see after a few years in a position. Trotz may not have the same personnel issues we've seen with the last several coaches (everyone under GMGM but Hanlon, I think).

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
If nothing else, the Trotz hire will remove the excuses from the players. They can no longer put it on the head coach. This is not a Stanley Cup contender next year but there is zero reason for this team to miss the playoffs again with as much talent as they have. If they do miss the playoffs for a second consecutive season, it'll be time for major player personnel changes.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
@diamondhockey: Re: Trotz to Caps - if he is in negotiations, he must know who is likely, or more importantly who is not likely, going to be the GM there.

From a Preds beat writer. So Trotz definitely would've come up during interviews. He's arguably the most coveted coach on the market this offseason. If the Caps didn't snatch him up soon then someone else would've. Besides, good chance the GM will be chosen soon, and they may have just needed a little more time to decide.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...rs-coach-barry-trotz/article4100299/?page=all
Trotz says the strategy to empower the players is deliberate: “We give the players ownership. We don’t micromanage them. We ask them for their input and listen to their input and make it work. That’s part of the culture.

“Coaching is not about equality, it’s about inequality, but the one thing that should be equal is respect. Coaching, at this level, is not about X’s and O’s. The people at this level all know the X’s and O’s of the game.

“It’s about getting people to buy in to what you’re doing as a group. I have one simple rule. ‘I want you to get better because that makes us better. I want you to have a good career. I want you to have an understanding of what your potential is.’”
The avoidance of micromanaging should be refreshing post-Oates but glossing over X's & O's is a bit concerning. It's particularly concerning if the coaching staff is coupled with a GM that doesn't have much of an analytics approach or overall vision on top of it. Shero has used some analytics to inform moves in the past--Neal/Niskanen specifically--but seemed to abandon that with the additions of Morrow & Murray (pure grit & 'leadership' moves).

One thing Trotz hasn't really managed is a star on the level of Ovechkin (or an offensive duo on the level of 8/19 overall). It's a different dynamic, particularly in managing 8's ego vs. a willingness to mature and diversify his abilities. It's always a looming issue. A GM capable of supporting the coaching staff with the right mix should be able to raise the team's level of play regardless. Still, it's hard to say what a team led by Ovechkin & Backstrom looks like in a more organic, involved sense.

c4c: That same NSH writer was 'very skeptical' it would be Fenton following Trotz.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...rs-coach-barry-trotz/article4100299/?page=all

The avoidance of micromanaging should be refreshing post-Oates but glossing over X's & O's is a bit concerning. It's particularly concerning if the coaching staff is coupled with a GM that doesn't have much of an analytics approach or overall vision on top of it. Shero has used some analytics to inform moves in the past--Neal/Niskanen specifically--but seemed to abandon that with the additions of Morrow & Murray (pure grit & 'leadership' moves).

One thing Trotz hasn't really managed is a star on the level of Ovechkin (or an offensive duo on the level of 8/19 overall). It's a different dynamic, particularly in managing 8's ego vs. a willingness to mature and diversify his abilities. It's always a looming issue. A GM capable of supporting the coaching staff with the right mix should be able to raise the team's level of play regardless. Still, it's hard to say what a team led by Ovechkin & Backstrom looks like in a more organic, involved sense.

c4c: That same NSH writer was 'very skeptical' it would be Fenton following Trotz.
Any reason for that? I've heard a few Nashville posters say that if Trotz was coming here then Fenton most likely wouldn't. Did they not have a great relationship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad