Speculation: Who should be the new head coach of the Washington Capitals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
The only thing I ever liked about Trotz was a quote I heard from him that went something like this:

"When my team has the puck they have freedom to be creative and go, when the other team has the puck they will do exactly what I tell them to".

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
And for the record, as unexciting as it is, I'm fine with Trotz. His experience and ability to coach defense/two-way responsibility are big pluses. I still worry about his poor playoff performances and whether he'll under-utilize the Caps' offensive talent.

I wonder if he brings in Horachek as an assistant?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
‏@FriedgeHNIC: Not sure what's out there or who deserves credit for initial report, but hearing Barry Trotz has informed teams he is no longer...

@FriedgeHNIC: available as a candidate. It is believed he is closing in with Washington.

Sorry Olli but Mitch Korn ought to follow Trotz to DC as well.

@garylawless: Won't be surprised if former #nhljets coach Claude Noel is a candidate to be an assistant with Barry Trotz in Washington

Noel coached NSH's minor league team for many years.

Last edited:

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
‏@FriedgeHNIC: Not sure what's out there or who deserves credit for initial report, but hearing Barry Trotz has informed teams he is no longer...

@FriedgeHNIC: available as a candidate. It is believed he is closing in with Washington.

@garylawless: Won't be surprised if former #nhljets coach Claude Noel is a candidate to be an assistant with Barry Trotz in Washington

Man I hope this is true.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Digging deeper didn't get them Bruce Cassidy. Being impressed by an interview got them Bruce Cassidy.

You haven't explained why Shero/Trotz is a bold move. It's not. OMGZ, CUP!! gets them Ray Shero, not any real analysis of his philosophies or vision on how to build a team.

Of course digging deeper got them Bruce Cassidy. He wasn't on a lot of short lists for an NHL job at the time (backed up by his stellar NHL coaching career post Caps).

Washington is not looked at as a Hockey hotbed. It's probably bottom 3rd as a destination for Hockey minds. Now Ted may be paying up for 2 of the top available men at their positions. It could be argued that they are both #1 as far as available candidates....and probably on everyone's top 3 in the circles of the league. I'm sure bozo internet GM's like us would argue otherwise, but that's what message boards are for.

So for Ted to get 2 such men is bold. It's something a "name" franchise would do, and certainly asserts the Capitals as a franchise that people want to work for. It's adds credibility in spades. If you don't see that as bold, then you don't. I think most do, and from what I am reading on here, most want these 2 guys in some fashion.

You may think going off the map and hiring no names is bold. I consider that thought process par for the course in Capsland, and the fact that they may not be is awesome.

BOLD.:handclap:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Not sure how it was here at the time but among the fans I interacted with Boudreau was the obvious choice to replace Hanlon and it was obvious he needed to be made permanent.

Trotz seems like an obvious MOVE based on team history, but it remains to be seen if it's the right one.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Of course digging deeper got them Bruce Cassidy. He wasn't on a lot of short lists for an NHL job at the time (backed up by his stellar NHL coaching career post Caps).

Washington is not looked at as a Hockey hotbed. It's probably bottom 3rd as a destination for Hockey minds. Now Ted may be paying up for 2 of the top available men at their positions. It could be argued that they are both #1 as far as available candidates....and probably on everyone's top 3 in the circles of the league. I'm sure bozo internet GM's like us would argue otherwise, but that's what message boards are for.

So for Ted to get 2 such men is bold. It's something a "name" franchise would do, and certainly asserts the Capitals as a franchise that people want to work for. It's adds credibility in spades. If you don't see that as bold, then you don't. I think most do, and from what I am reading on here, most want these 2 guys in some fashion.

You may think going off the map and hiring no names is bold. I consider that thought process par for the course in Capsland, and the fact that they may not be is awesome.

BOLD.:handclap:
So because Cassidy wasn't a top candidate (he was an hot AHL name), it was digging deeper? No. "Digging deeper" is finding out a candidates tendencies and philosophies and really analyzing how that'd fit with the direction of your franchise. It's pretty well established that the Caps brass hired Cassidy because they were blown away with his interview. That's not digging deeper. That's being sold a lemon by a snake oil salesman.

What 'name' franchise would hire Ray Shero and Barry Trotz (or similar candidates)? What 'name' franchises have made similar hires?

Bold is taking risks that the general population wouldn't expect or wouldn't take. Shero/Trotz is easy and expected. It's not bold. (I don't really care about the boldness of the hire, BTW).

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
if the caps are a bottom 3rd team. a Pheonix or Florida or Nashville, why would a top candidate with choices take the Caps offer? On one hand hiring them is bold while on the other hand the caps don't have the juice to hire them if they wanted to.

Sep 19, 2008
Trotz is the best but it is highly unusual for them to hire a coach without a GM. I just hope Fenton or Shero is aboard, because if they hire someone else who hasn't worked with Trotz before, it'd be a highly unusual process.

0V3CHKiN

Mar 2, 2007

The two sound intriguing. I wonder if Leonsis/Patrick already decided on a GM and have gotten his input on Trotz?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
At this point, I just want a GM before the draft.

Yea, Mahoney can handle the player selection, but it's also among the two or three busiest trade days of the NHL calender.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The two sound intriguing. I wonder if Leonsis/Patrick already decided on a GM and have gotten his input on Trotz?
I would think it's come up even it hasn't yet been narrowed down to a single GM option.

They officially announced the hires of Wilson & McPhee on the same day in '97 and I'd expect the same sort of thing this time. McPhee & Wilson had a past working relationship in VAN so...Shero? I'd prefer Sweeney but under the circumstances that seems less likely.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
I would think it's come up even it hasn't yet been narrowed down to a single GM option.

They officially announced the hires of Wilson & McPhee on the same day in '97 and I'd expect the same sort of thing this time. McPhee & Wilson had a past working relationship in VAN so...Shero? I'd prefer Sweeney but under the circumstances that seems less likely.

So dual announcement on Tuesday am? I guess I'm ok with Shero/Trotz mainly because of Trotz.

WNY to NoVA

May 16, 2011
what an absolute ****ed organization. have the chance for a clean slate, and go on and hire a coach before a GM...

WNY to NoVA

May 16, 2011
Nothing is set in stone yet, Im sure its going to be announced at the same time in a couple days

so the gm had full say in who his coach would be? no? yeaaaaaaaah. thought so

terrible move. trotz might be the "best" coach but the team is basically in shambles and the gm gets handed a head coach. turrible

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

terrible move. trotz might be the "best" coach but the team is basically in shambles and the gm gets handed a head coach. turrible

stop acting as if you know whats going on.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia

Except trotz has ties with Shero and Fenton so I'm sure it's all been discussed along the way.

InfernalDark*

Been watching "NHL without a map". Trotz seems like a cool guy.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
So because Cassidy wasn't a top candidate (he was an hot AHL name), it was digging deeper? No. "Digging deeper" is finding out a candidates tendencies and philosophies and really analyzing how that'd fit with the direction of your franchise. It's pretty well established that the Caps brass hired Cassidy because they were blown away with his interview. That's not digging deeper. That's being sold a lemon by a snake oil salesman.

What 'name' franchise would hire Ray Shero and Barry Trotz (or similar candidates)? What 'name' franchises have made similar hires?

Bold is taking risks that the general population wouldn't expect or wouldn't take. Shero/Trotz is easy and expected. It's not bold. (I don't really care about the boldness of the hire, BTW).

No man. That is YOUR version of bold. You always think that if someone doesn't see things from your viewpoint (your perception) then it's somehow not possible for it to be true. Very singular of thought.

That's fine.

But it doesn't make it so.

Cassidy was not on a lot of hot lists, as you state. He was a left field hire....go read some of the articles at ten time of his hire. Not a lot of people were looking at him. And had been so hot....why has he had zero work behind an NHL bench since 2006. At his age, that's pretty telling.

What name franchise would make hires like these? Vancouver Canucks. New York Rangers. Montreal Canadians. Boston Bruins. Los Angeles Kings. Chicago Blackhawks.

Look at their recent hires for coaches. Which one of those hired a rookie coach recently? How have they done the last 5 years? Rangers, Kings, and Canucks hired experienced GM's and coaches. Hawks, Bruins, Canadians all hired experienced coaches. Yes, they hired assistant GM's. With pedigree, but as Shero WAS an assistant with pedigree...who also WON a Cup. Not sure how actually winning a cup, after being the pedigree type, hurts him?

So if Bowman, Lombardi, or Chiarelli got let go....hiring them would be a mistake because they had already been GM's of a franchise?

I do not understand your logo here. Even a little bit. My guess is you enjoy the antagonist role.

And how do you know they haven't done all that homework on Trotz? How he would fit in? He's been unemployed for weeks. Caps have needed a head coach for weeks. What's part of that isn't well thought out and doesn't show a depth of thinking?

My guess is you don't know, and you just don't want Trotz as the hire. "Not your guy". Or you are just being argumentative.

Edit-- and the last name hire the Caps made was Wilson. How did that turn out? Let me guess.....you will somehow tell me "not well"

Last edited:

Monsterrain

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
Yeah i dont like it. I want the gm to help pick the coach. Maybe itll be a package deal and both will sign at the same time. I dont know. I just dont like the feel of it.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
if the caps are a bottom 3rd team. a Pheonix or Florida or Nashville, why would a top candidate with choices take the Caps offer? On one hand hiring them is bold while on the other hand the caps don't have the juice to hire them if they wanted to.

Well, there are 30 teams. So bottom 10 in the NHL landscape as far as franchise pinache. I am pretty sure we could name 20 teams that are seen as more sexy than the Caps.

You think Caps are a desirable destination in the hockey world?

Oh, and why take the job? Gee....I don't know $$$$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad