GDT: Who Needs Lineups? Devils (1-0) @ Flyers (1-1-1), MSG Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Lol this kind of a reaction probably isn't justified after getting blown out in the regular season let alone the second game of preseason.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yes, until Larsson and Severson are ready.
Or maybe a darkhorse like Scarlett.

Lou hould have amnestied Sal last season instead of Hedberg.
And extended Fayne.

They were still in ownership limbo last offseason, I doubt cutting Sal a check one year into a three year deal was a realistic option for that alone, never mind the C thing.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
There is zero reason to cut Sal. He has been our best PKer of the last 3 years and he isn't half as bad as people are making him out to be.

Some of you need to understand that difference between a league average defenseman and Salvador over a full season is insignificant.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I was really happy with the game last night.

I missed the game, and didn't know the score, and noticed after coming in after a late night out that NHL network was replaying it at 5am.

I woke up at 5 excited and guilty that I was going to go to work on like 2 hours of sleep if I watched it.

Saw one goal, watched one shift of that crap and felt no pangs of remorse when I turned the TV set off, rolled over, and went back to sleep.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
There is zero reason to cut Sal. He has been our best PKer of the last 3 years and he isn't half as bad as people are making him out to be.

Some of you need to understand that difference between a league average defenseman and Salvador over a full season is insignificant.

to a degree...perhaps. the issue with Sal, as has been true for the past few years, is that he plays more minutes than he's worth. just like every year, either a kid will force him out ( I know, deboer hates kids blah blah) or Sal stays. that's the way it goes, barring injuries

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Aren't you one of the advanced stats guys? That's a pretty shocking opinion coming from you, considering (at least I'm pretty sure) that Salvador has been bad according to those for years.

I remember advanced stats people on this site even telling me he was bad back in 11-12. That was the last season he seemed to even be any good.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I probably missed less than 5 games over the last 2 years including preseason. The year before I was a season ticket holder and went to every game but 1 (watched it on tv). I post on these boards. I assume anyone that posts on a hockey forum loves the sport and watches everything game then can.

There are a lot of players on a hockey team that add value. Good hockey teams put up 90-110 PTS. Even the best NHL player isn't responsible 20+ of the team's PTS. The average NHL player would be worth 2-5 PTS range over a full season. Sure you will have great ones that are 10+ like Crosby or good goalies, but the majority are going to be in that 2-5 PTS range.

So take a player like Fayne who at his best so far is worth ~5 PTS. Sal could be really bad and put up say ~1 PTS this year (which is very bad). The difference is 4 PTS.I would note that that Sal has average around 2.6 PTS over his career.

We had 88 PTS last year and had 32 skaters + 2 goalies. Seems like people think Jagr and Greene were responsible for 50 of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I probably missed less than 5 games over the last 2 years including preseason. The year before I was a season ticket holder and went to every game but 1 (watched it on tv). I post on these boards. I assume anyone that posts on a hockey forum loves the sport and watches everything game then can.

There are a lot of players on a hockey team that add value. Good hockey teams put up 90-110 PTS. Even the best NHL player isn't responsible 20+ of the team's PTS. The average NHL player would be worth 2-5 PTS range over a full season. Sure you will have great ones that are 10+ like Crosby or good goalies, but the majority are going to be in that 2-5 PTS range.

So take a player like Fayne who at his best so far is worth ~5 PTS. Sal could be really bad and put up say ~1 PTS this year (which is very bad). The difference is 4 PTS.I would note that that Sal has average around 2.6 PTS over his career.

We had 88 PTS last year and had 32 skaters + 2 goalies. Seems like people think Jagr and Greene were responsible for 50 of them.

While I respect the fact that you watch a ton of games, I don't agree with your logic here. Sure some players are better than others but I don't think you can quantify their worth in the amount of points they are worth to the team. Hockey is a team sport, IMO with soccer it's the ultimate team sport. Players should be valued by how well they fit into a team concept, not how many points they individually earn a team.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
While I respect the fact that you watch a ton of games, I don't agree with your logic here. Sure some players are better than others but I don't think you can quantify their worth in the amount of points they are worth to the team. Hockey is a team sport, IMO with soccer it's the ultimate team sport. Players should be valued by how well they fit into a team concept, not how many points they individually earn a team.

Whether you want to believe it or not you can quantify players value in any logical way you want. But the more important point to note is that this is a team sport with many players that effective the results. 1 average defenseman and 1 below average defenseman have very little effective on an overall season.

Ever notice when a star (Crosby) player goes down and the team doesn't fall apart? You could remove Crosby from the Penguins and they still would be a 95+ PTS team.

hijeffinition

Feb 26, 2009
NJ
They did it last year for the Devils/Flyers preseason game in Philly.
MSG has been doing this for a while with the Devils preseason games. I was wondering: are the Devils the only NHL team that doesn't broadcast all of their preseason games using their own announcers? I have a feeling that they are. And it's all up to MSG, which completely stinks. They need a new network (or their own network).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad