GDT: Who Needs Lineups? Devils (1-0) @ Flyers (1-1-1), MSG Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
3rd rounder and some middling prospect for Oduya.

waive Salvador

plz.

It's out there now that Chicago doesn't want to trade Oduya, but Leddy instead.
Leddy has A LOT of what this team needs - but I don't know what the pricetag would be on that deal.

More realistically, McQuaid could probably be had for a low cost from Boston.
He's not great, but he's a defensive dmen that's not as bad as Sal.

Ehh I think it will be fine. I still think it's more the system then the players and some of our big kill guys were not playing. There will be hiccups but it will work out.

Our PK has had more then a number of reasons to nose dive over the past two years but hasn't. Won't be tops in the league but will be more then serviceable.

It's going to be a rough start, though. I don't see it as problem #1, but just a pretty sizable bump in the road for a team that plays tight games.
2-3 new PK dmen, another 2-3 new PK forwards.

Something I'm curious about and one of the few things I see being worse, as opposed to better, than last season.
I'll be happy to be proven wrong, though.

Last edited:

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Where's Mamashev? The guy is on a tryout and hasn't been in the lineup for two games... that doesn't really help his case. Less time for him to prove himself. Anyway.

We have a problem and it's not the forwards.... it's the defense. Bryce Salvador is worse than words can describe.... Without him, there is no physical aspect to the Devils defense (even with him). So whether you cut him or not, this group is soft. VERY SOFT. I also am at the point where I just never want to see Peter Harrold again. I personally think the best thing for Larsson is for DeBoer to trust him, put him in the lineup, and leave him alone. Gelinas looked crappy tonight but that pairing wasn't great anyway. Larsson played nervous and Gelinas is a huge guy not using his body.

Merrill is obviously hurt and/or concussed.

Lou needs to fix this defense. Replacing Salvador with Kaberle makes the d group better offensively, worse defensively, and softer. This team is missing a 27-30 year old defenseman that can hit and play a physical game.

Offense:

I'm over Carter, Gionta, and Bernier. Also, Josefson is garbage. He belongs on a BAD team where he can play a more important role and develop slowly. He brings down lines, has stone hands, and wasn't even skating that well tonight. I liked Gomez's game. The first Devils PP of the night he had a great rush up the ice and zone entry. The Devils have lacked that badly for the past 2 years. The Cammalleri-Zajac-Jagr line might not work. Cammalleri is a fast skater who uses the whole zone and zips around passing and creating. Jagr is the complete opposite. He keeps the puck and skates slowly around the zone. Cammy may be too fast for that line honestly. I want to try this:

Cammalleri-Henrique-Brunner
Clowe-Zajac-Jagr
Havlat-Elias-Ryder
Carter-Ruutu-Zubrus (OR Zubrus-Ruutu-Tootoo)

Greene-Larsson
Gelinas-Merrill
Salvador/Kaberle-Zidlicky

My lineup after game 2:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Leddy has A LOT of what this team needs - but I don't know what the pricetag would be on that deal.

It's going to be a rough start, though. I don't see it as problem #1, but just a pretty sizable bump in the road for a team that plays tight games.

Something I'm curious about and one of the few things I see being worse, as opposed to better, than last season.

Not all the forwards that PKed tonight will do it during the season. Pete is most likely trying some guys out to see if they add anything and to give other guys a break. Forward group from last year should in theory stay mostly intact if Pete wants it that way. Elias was missing and so was Greene.

Also Camm says he see the potential chemistry with zajac and Jagr so he thinks the line will work.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It's kind of funny how last year we had too many defensemen and not enough depth up front. Now we have too many forwards and not much depth (at least in terms of experience) on defense. Let's just hope the kids run with the opportunities they're being given.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Not all the forwards that PKed tonight will do it during the season. Pete is most likely trying some guys out to see if they add anything and to give other guys a break. Forward group from last year should in theory stay mostly intact if Pete wants it that way. Elias was missing and so was Greene.

Not meaning to harp on this, as I don't see it as a major concern - but something that is a bit of a concern.
7 PK forwards has been the norm so far. 3 sets and a 7th guy to step in to take off some time or to fill in if one is in the box.

Last year's forward group on the PK:
Zajac, Henrique, Zubrus, Elias, Gionta, Josefson Carter

The first 4 are guaranteed to be in the lineup and killing penalties.
The remaining 3, I can't imagine a scenario in which 2 of those 3 are in the same game, let alone the same roster.

So you're looking at taking 2-3 guys in the lineup who have either never killed penalties or haven't regularly killed penalties in a few seasons and throwing them in the mix.

That's on top of losing 2 of the 4 regular PK dmen last season and inserting 2 younger guys who have been fairly sheltered. Or relying on Zidlicky. Or giving more of those minutes to Sal.

So my guess is there's going to be a learning curve that'll derail the PK for a while.

I'm not using tonight as a measuring stick. Just something that has been on mind all season, so Camm & Ruutu's name caught my eye with their SH minutes.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL

Leddy would cost a lot and I'm not sure how much he would help us since he isn't exactly known for his D-Zone work. Don't get me wrong, I love his talent and upside and he would make our group of young d-men even deeper but I'd rather have someone who is more stable in his own end. McQuaid would be fine but lets be honest, what are the chances of them actually ditching Salvador? Were pretty much stuck with his ass for one final, painful year.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Leddy would cost a lot and I'm not sure how much he would help us since he isn't exactly known for his D-Zone work. Don't get me wrong, I love his talent and upside and he would make our group of young d-men even deeper but I'd rather have someone who is more stable in his own end. McQuaid would be fine but lets be honest, what are the chances of them actually ditching Salvador? Were pretty much stuck with his ass for one final, painful year.

Leddy would prob be cheaper than normal since Chicago has to be cap compliant in about 10 days

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Severson is a lot better than Harrold. Zidlicky, Salvador, Harrold and Karbele on the penalty kill was killing us. Greene and Merrill will be critical pieces to PK success

I'd like to see Matteau, Gionta and Tootoo on the 4th line.

Last edited:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
it's preseason fellas...let's not go overboard with JJ, Gomez, Larsson, Sal, and everybody else. I'm interested in seeing how this group responds

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Severson is a lot better than Harrold. Zidlicky, Salvador, Harrold and Karbele on the penalty kill was killing us. Greene and Merrill will be critical pieces to PK success

I'd like to see Matteau, Gionta and Tootoo on the 4th line.

Matteau should just play another year in the A.

I don't want those other 2 guys anywhere near the team.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Some of you are really funny. Calling for trades and predicting a rough start because of one preseason game yikes.

I didn't predict anything other than Salvador being awful, which is he.

When we are relying on 3 really young guys, youre going to need a handful of good veterans. sure we have Greene and Zids, but we need another stable guy back there. and no, not Peter Harrold.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Volch for Salvador?

:biglaugh:

4v4Ed2b.jpg

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Flyers looked so much faster than the Devs team they had on the ice.
As posted the old 4th line is done. Sign Kabs, maybe Carter. Play the two kids Matty & Boucher. Gomez goes to the booth and trade Brunner and JJ, if possible keep Gionta as an extra and by by Bernie.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Some of you are really funny. Calling for trades and predicting a rough start because of one preseason game yikes.

It's preseason for fans too. It was bad all around last night. It seemed everyone was using last night as the reason to get rid of their favorite players to hate. So of course CBGB and Salvador were being called to the guillotine. There was no logic to any of it, including the game.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Where's Mamashev? The guy is on a tryout and hasn't been in the lineup for two games... that doesn't really help his case. Less time for him to prove himself. Anyway.

We have a problem and it's not the forwards.... it's the defense. Bryce Salvador is worse than words can describe.... Without him, there is no physical aspect to the Devils defense (even with him). So whether you cut him or not, this group is soft. VERY SOFT. I also am at the point where I just never want to see Peter Harrold again. I personally think the best thing for Larsson is for DeBoer to trust him, put him in the lineup, and leave him alone. Gelinas looked crappy tonight but that pairing wasn't great anyway. Larsson played nervous and Gelinas is a huge guy not using his body.

Merrill is obviously hurt and/or concussed.

Lou needs to fix this defense. Replacing Salvador with Kaberle makes the d group better offensively, worse defensively, and softer. This team is missing a 27-30 year old defenseman that can hit and play a physical game.

Offense:

I'm over Carter, Gionta, and Bernier. Also, Josefson is garbage. He belongs on a BAD team where he can play a more important role and develop slowly. He brings down lines, has stone hands, and wasn't even skating that well tonight. I liked Gomez's game. The first Devils PP of the night he had a great rush up the ice and zone entry. The Devils have lacked that badly for the past 2 years. The Cammalleri-Zajac-Jagr line might not work. Cammalleri is a fast skater who uses the whole zone and zips around passing and creating. Jagr is the complete opposite. He keeps the puck and skates slowly around the zone. Cammy may be too fast for that line honestly. I want to try this:

Cammalleri-Henrique-Brunner
Clowe-Zajac-Jagr
Havlat-Elias-Ryder
Carter-Ruutu-Zubrus (OR Zubrus-Ruutu-Tootoo)

Greene-Larsson
Gelinas-Merrill
Salvador/Kaberle-Zidlicky

My lineup after game 2:

Give that 1st line 1-2 more games. Need a bigger sample size.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I didn't predict anything other than Salvador being awful, which is he.

When we are relying on 3 really young guys, youre going to need a handful of good veterans. sure we have Greene and Zids, but we need another stable guy back there. and no, not Peter Harrold.

You have a point, but there aren't a whole lot of steady defensive defensemen available right now. The ones that are available, I bet the asking price would be one of the aforementioned three young guys (unless we can sucker someone to take Ryder or Brunner).

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Sal looked more nervous than an 18yr old rookie.

He also has nothing left to give this team.
Heave him into the press box or into a front office position, now.

Kaberle is not someone we want on the blueline either.
He's now a turnover-prone pylon and soft.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Our D gets really bad really quickly without Greene back there. I'm so glad we have him locked up and can't believe it only took $5M.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey

The rough start comment was in regards to the PK, not the team or season.
And it had nothing to do with last night's game, I brought it up because the forwards used last night caught my eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad