Tribute Who is your favorite non big name player in sens history?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I almost threw Michalek in my list too but then came to the conclusion that he was more of a "quiet" player than he was a "non-big name" or "small name" player.

I mean he was drafted 6th overall and was the main component of the Dany Heatley trade so I would definitely put him in the big name category myself.

Had the same debate with myself. Decided to include him.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Mach 9...wish he had been able to stay healthy and with the team.

Could have been a difference maker against Ducks.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
McGrattan and Neil for sure. Neil was kind of a big name though in a way. Also Kelly and Volchenkov.

Gratts bloodying Domi was a franchise changing moment and his job wasnt an easy one. So many people in that role had substance abuse issues.

I remember Volchie laying out the carbomb once during a Flyers game. Left him sitting on his butt first trying to figure out where he was and then what hit him. One of my favourite hits up there with Alfie on Tucker.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Magnus Arvedson ... my least favourite non big name players was Dackell. That guy embodied everything we lacked.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Arvedson for sure. Loved how he played.

Kravchuk scored one of the biggest goals in senators history, and gave some pedigree to a young or over the hell defense when he was signed.

But Ron tuggnutt has to be my favorite non big name player. Journeyman goalie who never got the credit he was due till a couple of dynamite seasons with the sens.

f*** the barrasso trade

Always had a soft spot for brian smolinski too. Guy never really excelled at anything, but was solid everywhere. Like a poor man's alfie.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
More recently but JG Pageau has to be one. Playoff performer from the area that gave his all every single game. He was on the smaller side, but played with more heart and grit than all of our bigger players. Proof that size doesn't matter if you're willing to work harder than anyone else. One of the best shutdown players in the league, could matchup against anyone and put up points when on an offensive line. I'll miss Pageau for sure, he was a part of the heart and soul of this team for a while and deeply involved in the community.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Zenon Konopka. I just loved his nose. The man had been in some scraps.

Dean McAmmond gets an honourable mention for me.

Does Kyle Turris qualify?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Big names : Alfie, Karlsson, Stone, Zibanejad, Spezza now Chabot and the Drake

Medium names : MacArthur, Vermette, Neil, Methot, Phillips, Michalek

Small names : Regin, Winchester

I could probably name more if I dig in my memory a bit

True, such a disappointment this guy couldn't have a longer hockey career. Really loved having him on the team

I'll take Mike Fisher since he didn't make your list at all.
Small names I liked Shane Hnidy and Stan Neckar

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad