Tribute Who is your favorite non big name player in sens history?

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
A lot of non big name player come to my mind. But for me, it as to be Anton Volchenkov. I’ve always been a big fan of the A-Train. 428 games played in Ottawa, 487 hits , 560 blocked shots. He also received 2 Norris trophy vote while he was playing for the Sens. It just show how dominant he was defensively for the senators with his partner in crime Chris Phillips!

So, Who is your favorite non big name player in sens history?

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
If A-Train counts, I pick him, JGP, and Magnus Arvedsson (nominated once for the Selke). Dunno if JGP fits your criteria though, he is a pretty well known player in the league now.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
From the modern era, Clark MacArthur (if he doesn’t count as a big name). To me he was pretty much the perfect hockey player.

A less obvious one is Chris Herperger. When I was very young he and his wife rented a house on my street, he saw me shooting pucks alone in my driveway and came out to play with me, then gave my whole family tickets to a few games. I hardly remember him on the ice but it was one of my best memories as a kid.

Reactions: DrEasy and Xspyrit

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Marc Methot. Dude was a warrior, a hip-check master and had a really contagious personality. I also had a soft spot for Pascal Leclaire. Wish he'd been able to stay healthy.
I was on the team Leclaire train for probably way too long, but I always believed he had the potential to be a franchise goaltender for us if he could just get over the injuries and fan/media scrutiny.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I had the biggest man crush on Peter Regin. I remain convinced that he could have been legit if not for his damn shoulder being made of paper maché.

On a more serious note, Vermette and Kelly were the supporting cast I cared about the most.

Honourable mention to Ray Emery: he had his warts but having a goalie with attitude was nice.

EDIT: this thread really hammers home the point that our depth players have mostly been bad this last decade.

Last edited:

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
The Weatherman... Nick Foligno. He's a long-serving captain of another team, so maybe he doesn't qualify as non-big-name.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Came here to mention Magnus Arvedsson, very surprised that he has been mentioned so many times. He was a treat to watch for sure.

There are plenty more for me:

Brian McGrattan
Sean Donovan
Carkner
Vaclav Varada
Curtis Lesychysn

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I liked Janne Laukkanen back in the day along with Arvedsson. More recently I liked Michalek and McArthur.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Big names : Alfie, Karlsson, Stone, Zibanejad, Spezza now Chabot and the Drake

Medium names : MacArthur, Vermette, Neil, Methot, Phillips, Michalek, Fisher, Pageau

Small names : Regin, Winchester

I could probably name more if I dig in my memory a bit

From the modern era, Clark MacArthur (if he doesn’t count as a big name). To me he was pretty much the perfect hockey player.

True, such a disappointment this guy couldn't have a longer hockey career. Really loved having him on the team

Last edited:
Reactions: Smeddy

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I liked Janne Laukkanen back in the day along with Arvedsson. More recently I liked Michalek and McArthur.

I almost threw Michalek in my list too but then came to the conclusion that he was more of a "quiet" player than he was a "non-big name" or "small name" player.

I mean he was drafted 6th overall and was the main component of the Dany Heatley trade so I would definitely put him in the big name category myself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad