Who is the worst GM in the Montreal Canadiens history?

Who is the worst GM in the Montreal Canadiens history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Officially in terms of pure performance I still believe it’s Houle, but at least he was a decent enough person with a fair few mitigating circumstances, he didn’t have total power and his hands were tied financially.

Bergevin will surpass him if this carries on. Plus there’s just so much to dislike about him on a personal level.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Gauthier was driving everyone nuts and it wasn't just for his personality. His moves too.

Yeah his moves scared me, he kept bringing in guys over 6ft, it was terrifying! Thank God we got back to being soft midgets again. Oh I know Gauthier drove the media nuts and the media then whipped the dogs of the fanbase into a frenzy.

Reactions: PaulD

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Yeah his moves scared me, he kept bringing in guys over 6ft, it was terrifying! Thank God we got back to being soft midgets again. Oh I know Gauthier drove the media nuts and the media then whipped the dogs of the fanbase into a frenzy.

I remember when they needed grit on D and he got us Sopel. That was the type that he and Martin liked, mediocre and ballsless.

He would have loved De Larose. Players inodore, sans saveure.

We could say many things about Bergevin but he adressed the issue the moment he came in when he hired Prust. It gave the team a backbone.

Last edited:

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
I remember when they needed grit on D and he got us Sopel. That was the type that he and Martin liked, mediocre and ballsless.

He would have loved De Larose. Players inodore, sans saveure.

We could say many things about Bergevin but he adressed the issue the moment he came in when he hired Prust. It gave the team a backbone.

Getting a punching bag didn't address anything and everyone and their mom knew that wasn't the direction the Habs should go. Getting bigger players that don't get smashed in a playoff series was the right direction, but lets have a look at our lineup today. How many times did the players complain during the shitty years of Gainey that the team was too small? Funny how that gets hushed up.

Reactions: Deluded Puck

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
When Gainey first came in 2003, he got us Kovalev. His draft record wasn’t perfect, I mean a lot of GMs passed on the same players. It all comes down to how lucky you are. Gainey tried to reshape the Habs in the summer of 2009, by getting Gionta, Cammalleri, Spacek, Mara, Gill. The Habs went to the EC the following season for the first time since 93. The guy lost both his wife and his daughter, he clearly didn’t have it in him anymore.

Yeah...I had no issues with Gainey, he made some mistakes, but he brought this franchise back from the brink. He made mistakes along the way, but the team was ultimately successful during his time here. And he knew when to step down.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Getting a punching bag didn't address anything and everyone and their mom knew that wasn't the direction the Habs should go. Getting bigger players that don't get smashed in a playoff series was the right direction, but lets have a look at our lineup today. How many times did the players complain during the ****ty years of Gainey that the team was too small? Funny how that gets hushed up.

And Gauthier made us bigger? How.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
And Gauthier made us bigger? How.

He took quite an interesting and bizarre route. He acquired bigger players while getting rid of smaller ones. Hold on I know it sounds too outlandish and unbelievable but believe me, I was watching via the internet.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
He took quite an interesting and bizarre route. He acquired bigger players while getting rid of smaller ones. Hold on I know it sounds too outlandish and unbelievable but believe me, I was watching via the internet.

are you telling me Rene Bourque counts for more than one person? Because he's the only "bigger" guy who played regularly for the team.

EDIT: nvm, there's Eller too. so a grand total of 2 players.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
The two disastrous seasons under Bergevin have the same root cause: Carey Price/Injuries. And unfortunately, that's not something he can really fix (other than by trading him).

For fun, let's undo the the moves he made over the past two summers that everybody hates and replay the last season.

Remove: Weber, Drouin, Alzner.

Add: Subban, Radulov (signed at 8 mil), Markov (signed to a two year deal worth 11 mil or so), Sergachev.

Condition: Price is once again the worst goalie in the league, Subban breaks his foot in the first game of the season, is a shadow of himself for a few weeks and misses the rest of the year. Plekanec isn't any better, Pac and Danault still get injured.

Does this team make the playoffs?

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
are you telling me Rene Bourque counts for more than one person? Because he's the only "bigger" guy who played regularly for the team.

Is Eric Cole a person? It's hard to say, being a habs fan ive forgotten what a power forward looks like, I'm use to watching dainty ballerinas.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The two disastrous seasons under Bergevin have the same root cause: Carey Price/Injuries. And unfortunately, that's not something he can really fix (other than by trading him).

For fun, let's undo the the moves he made over the past two summers that everybody hates and replay the last season.

Remove: Weber, Drouin, Alzner.

Add: Subban, Radulov (signed at 8 mil), Markov (signed to a two year deal worth 11 mil or so), Sergachev.

Condition: Price is once again the worst goalie in the league, Subban breaks his foot in the first game of the season, is a shadow of himself for a few weeks and misses the rest of the year. Plekanec isn't any better, Pac and Danault still get injured.

Does this team make the playoffs?

With Markov, Radu and Serge, they might have.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
MB he had A lot more to work with and a lot room but still ended up painting him self into a corner. Also the change and evolution of the league when under Houle I have the impressions that it wasn’t has clear and the outcome weren’t As predictable. Also Houle step in with zero experience and little support MB had experienced and was supported by experienced ass GM

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
With Markov, Radu and Serge, they might have.

Oh really? Radu might have gotten 15 points more than Drouin, maybe. Markov at 39 was clearly running out of gas, and Sergachev had a nice season but was clearly inconsistant and got to play behind the best offense in the league.

The Habs needed 26 more points to get to the playoffs. It wasn't going to happen.

I'm not sure there is one team that could overcome loosing their all-star no. 1 D-man for basically the entire season AND having their Vezina finalist goalie playing like worst goalie in the league. Last year Tampa lost Stamkos and didn't make the playoffs, this year their were the best in the east. Maybe Nasville could do it with their defensive depth, but even then it's not guaranteed.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
It's days like these that I truly wonder if Mcguire could have done worse, like he would have had to actively try to be bad. I mean at least he would have been entertaining.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Looks like another season to boycott is in order.

If MB is still here this team is going nowhere fast. He's literally the worst GM in Habs history and possibly the league. Analysts don't even have words to describe his rationale behind ANY of his deals, the just make no sense and do NO improve this team.

He tooks a SC contending team and turned it into this shit. I wouldn't be surprised if Price is the next one to go so this team is truly "his", f***ing crack pot jackass he is.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Oh really? Radu might have gotten 15 points more than Drouin, maybe. Markov at 39 was clearly running out of gas, and Sergachev had a nice season but was clearly inconsistant and got to play behind the best offense in the league.

The Habs needed 26 more points to get to the playoffs. It wasn't going to happen.

I'm not sure there is one team that could overcome loosing their all-star no. 1 D-man for basically the entire season AND having their Vezina finalist goalie playing like worst goalie in the league. Last year Tampa lost Stamkos and didn't make the playoffs, this year their were the best in the east. Maybe Nasville could do it with their defensive depth, but even then it's not guaranteed.

I don't think there's any point discussing this with you if you believe the difference between Radu and Drouin is solely 15 points AND if you believe adding two pmds on the left side wouldn't change much to how the team played, which was as much a problem (our left side D and lack of pm skill) as our center line.

The way Price played was compounded by the sorrowful defense and lack of puck moving skill in front of him. This snowballed into a total team meltdown. With Markov and Sergachev, that snowball effect might not have happened.

Oh yeah, and having Eller would've helped too, as your initial post said to remove Berdbraingevin's bad moves of the last two years.

Notice also that I said might. They definitely would've had a better fighting chance.

Reactions: groovejuice

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
Looks like another season to boycott is in order.

If MB is still here this team is going nowhere fast. He's literally the worst GM in Habs history and possibly the league. Analysts don't even have words to describe his rationale behind ANY of his deals, the just make no sense and do NO improve this team.

He tooks a SC contending team and turned it into this ****. I wouldn't be surprised if Price is the next one to go so this team is truly "his", ****ing crack pot jackass he is.

There hasnt been one source, french, english..none that have not poked fun at him in some way. No one is capable of defending him anymore. I havent seen this much universal mockery in a long time.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
I don't think there's any point discussing this with you if you believe the difference between Radu and Drouin is solely 15 points AND if you believe adding two pmds on the left side wouldn't change much to how the team played, which was as much a problem (our left side D and lack of pm skill) as our center line.

The way Price played was compounded by the sorrowful defense and lack of puck moving skill in front of him. This snowballed into a total team meltdown. With Markov and Sergachev, that snowball effect might not have happened.

Oh yeah, and having Eller would've helped too, as your initial post said to remove Berdbraingevin's bad moves of the last two years.

Notice also that I said might. They definitely would've had a better fighting chance.

Strangely enough, Radulov's new team didn't make the playoffs either with better forwards, a PMD and better goalies...

As for Eller, LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad