Who is the most unlikeable owner?

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
At least from a fan's perspective, Bruins and Oilers fans know they will have the resources the build a winning team and there's a light at the tunnel.

Melnyk is a POS AND a terrible owner.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Ilitch was a good guy from what I can remember, always gave back to Detroit in some form.
Mr. I is greatly missed, indeed. His bean counter son took over, and apparently didn't learn a thing from his Father on how to properly run a franchise. He only seems to care about numbers & profit, and not day to day hockey operations. Not a coincidence that these days, both the Tigers & Wings are both beyond poorly managed.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Recency bias for me but the words the Calgary owner put out after turning down a MORE than fair offer from the City in regards to a new building really soured me.

I thought the City put forward a pretty solid plan that would benefit both and he was crying like he would have to sell one of his yachts just to scrape by.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
MLSE will be the popular choice amongst Canadians mostly because 90% of Canadians (myself included) have a distaste for Bell and Rogers. Americans wont get it, but in summary they are 2 of the richest telecommunication companies in the world built on monopolizing the market in Canada ripping of the population who has no other option. Amongst the highest prices in the world, they are also 2 of the few direct competitors in any market that actually RAISE prices relatively to each other rather than drop to be competitive.

However, with the rant said, they have been nothing but great on the sports side of things. Since they purchased MLSE the Leafs, Raptors and TFC have all been competitive.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Leipold's an interesting one, Nashville fans hate him. Wild fans have zero problem with him.

He spends to the cap, stays out of Hockey Ops, and seems to only care about winning.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Bill Wirtz when he was alive was one of the worst, I didn't care for the Hawks but what he did to fans that wanted to watch the game on tv in Chicago was moronic. What a tool.

Eugene Melnyk is such a whiner, if he just disappeared and never showed his face, it'd be better for the Sens to have that quiet owner.

but Bill Wurtz is still here tho

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Jeff Vinik is the best owner in pro sports, so not him that's for sure.

As far an unlikeable, I'm not sure, but the Lightning have had plenty of idiots. I don't pay much attention to other team ownership TBH.

Vinik doesn't get enough love on these boards. He's guided over a perennial contender, they sellout every game, and have a beautiful arena. I went to Tampa last summer and was stunned at the amount of Bolts jerseys and how knledgeable about the game people were.

Reactions: WPGNYRFan

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Bill Wirtz when he was alive was one of the worst, I didn't care for the Hawks but what he did to fans that wanted to watch the game on tv in Chicago was moronic. What a tool.

Eugene Melnyk is such a whiner, if he just disappeared and never showed his face, it'd be better for the Sens to have that quiet owner.

Bill Wirtz had nothing on Harold Ballard, who was arguably the worst and most evil owner in sports history.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
MLSE will be the popular choice amongst Canadians mostly because 90% of Canadians (myself included) have a distaste for Bell and Rogers. Americans wont get it, but in summary they are 2 of the richest telecommunication companies in the world built on monopolizing the market in Canada ripping of the population who has no other option. Amongst the highest prices in the world, they are also 2 of the few direct competitors in any market that actually RAISE prices relatively to each other rather than drop to be competitive.

However, with the rant said, they have been nothing but great on the sports side of things. Since they purchased MLSE the Leafs, Raptors and TFC have all been competitive.

It's truly the one of those "better the devil you know (Bell/Rogers) than the devil you don't (OTPP)" types of ownership predicaments when it comes to MLSE.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

Tough call, as owners of the team they have been fantastic. Hands off and put together a very competent exec team.

People hate them because Bell / Rogers suck, but not sure if that is the intent of the question here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad