Speculation: Who is the Flames' Next Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moon*

I think it is a fine move.

He seemed to get about what was expected out of the Dallas teams he had considering the talent (or lack there of) on the roster. But plenty of coaches have had completely different experiences their 2nd time around.

He has a good track record at the lower levels so that shouldn't be a bad thing.

I think out of the rumoured 3 finalists he was clearly the best option. It seemed like a pretty weak group of available coaches this year and really only Boudreau was an option that I clearly thought was better.

I probably would have slightly preferred Dineen, although reading about him he seems similar to Hartley in terms of being very tough to play for.

I would give the hire a B, not anything that gets me overly excited but no reason to think it will be a disaster. A clear upgrade over Hartley though so that is the biggest thing for me.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Someone found this on another forum, I'm stealing it and posting it here. Supposedly at 16:40 he talks about Hartley's system.

Gulutzan looks a little like a combination of Dr Evil and Elon Musk. :D

EDIT: Oh... it's on the main Gulutzan hire thread. Ha!

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Could all be smoke and we hire one of the other two leading candidates. One thing about this GM that I love/hate is that we run so tight lipped it's crazy.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
All the leaks about Gulatzan have come out of Vancouver, not Calgary FWIW. Treliving might be trying to cool the fire before anything is done.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Wouldn't it be funny if this was like the Iggy trade a few years back?

Every outlet reporting it, Flames fans accepting it, just to have it change in the last second? :laugh:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
What was that package anyways? I've only heard rumors of what it was supposed to be.

1st, Khoklachev, and Bartowski.

At that time, I liked both players a lot, and I still think to this day that Khoklachev has an NHL future, Boston is just done a god awful job at giving him a chance.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
1st, Khoklachev, and Bartowski.

At that time, I liked both players a lot, and I still think to this day that Khoklachev has an NHL future, Boston is just done a god awful job at giving him a chance.

Meeeeh. We probably would have still taken Klimchuk with that pick. Bartowski we probably would have let go at this point, he isn't worth the contract he is going to get. Khoklachev still hasn't done anything at the NHL level. Agostino isn't a worse prospect than him IMO.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Khoklachev hasn't been given any kind of real opportunity in the NHL. And this is far from a unique situation - the Bruins almost lost Spooner (2nd+Spooner for Stewart :laugh:) for the same reason.

But Khoklachev would likely be in the same situation Granlund was in, or even Baertschi'd out. The big difference is that the Bruins might have actually won the cup with Iginla.

Last edited:

Orca Whalers

May 24, 2013
Hey guys not to rain down on your parade but I don't think Gulutzan is a good choice for your team. Being familiar with him as a Canucks fan he butchered our power play. I don't see how he can be a viable head coach option when I feel there's better candidates out there. Personally, I'd like for you guys to go after K.Muller
I do have to admit he's done a good job with younger players which your team has plenty of. I just question this hire... Don't think he'll last more than 1-2 seasons hope I'm wrong though

HowitzerShot

Hey guys not to rain down on your parade but I don't think Gulutzan is a good choice for your team. Being familiar with him as a Canucks fan he butchered our power play. I don't see how he can be a viable head coach option when I feel there's better candidates out there. Personally, I'd like for you guys to go after K.Muller
I do have to admit he's done a good job with younger players which your team has plenty of. I just question this hire... Don't think he'll last more than 1-2 seasons hope I'm wrong though

That was under Torts, and to be fair the entire squad sucked that year. Last year he was the PK coach.

Sullivan also worked for Torts that year too...... just won a cup

May 27, 2012
Earth

Kirk Muller is in Montreal now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad