Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vadim Zherenko

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
That is what I intend to do. But think it is worth discussing why so many overvalue them here.
I think in Hofer's case, his leading the poll for 3rd best prospect is more about his looking very much NHL-ready, while the remaining Blues' skaters ALL have several areas in their games where they need to improve significantly. It doesn't mean that I think Hofer will have a better career as a goaltender, based on his ceiling related to the best possible level of goalie play. It means that he's playing good enough to see what he can do on The NHL level, and I trust that he'll be consistently better than Greiss was on average (after his adjustment period of 10+ games; while, at the same time, I don't want Bolduc starting this season in The NHL before he's got his backchecking, Neutral Zone play, play without the puck, and a few other aspects of team play down more solidly. I'd still like to see him get physically stronger, too. Otherwise, Dean is probably the most ready. I'd still rather see him polish his game more by playing on the top line at Springfield for a while.

It's just this year's weird concoction of prospects at the various position that has a talented, but not remarkable goaltender sliding upward in the vacuum, just because of the timing, and lack of high-level prospects in the defenceman positions, with the recent graduation of Perunovich.

Ordinarily on these polls, I never choose a goaltender this high. I couldn't consider voting for even one of Allen, Binnington, Bishop, Husso, Schwarz, and Sanford as high as even 7th or 8th, despite Allen and Bishop looking like they had super-high ceilings, simply because the road to being even a slightly-above-average NHL goalie that can last 8-10 years with a team is so precarious due to the mental toughness needed. This year is an anomaly because of the way the circumstances beyond Hofer's control fell.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
The biggest thing you have to have is a guy who can withstand the mental rigors of the playoffs. Binnington showed that. Allen, Halak, Turek, Husso, etc., haven’t been able to. I think Hofer might have the mental focus to be able to do that.
Disagree on Halak. In his prime he had some incredible playoff performances.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
That is what I intend to do. But think it is worth discussing why so many overvalue them here.

This franchise and by extension it's fan base has never been able to handle goalies. Because Binnington has had some not so great regular seasons people are clamoring to get a new goalie and Hofer is the new shiny goalie because people still value the regular season for what ever dumb f*** reason. Binnington is the only goalie we've ever had that can handle the pressure of the playoffs but because he's not being given vezina votes they want him replaced. Basically a bunch of fans that are the equivalent of the fans that scream shoot at games.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Only 3 of the last 10 Vezina winners have won a Cup, and none of them have done both in the same season. Tim Thomas is the last one in 2011. Teams just don’t need elite goaltending to win.
Only 3 of the last 10 Hart Trophy winners have won a Cup and none of them have done both in the same season. Martin St. Louis was the last one in 2004. Teams don't need elite skaters to win.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Only 3 of the last 10 Hart Trophy winners have won a Cup and none of them have done both in the same season. Martin St. Louis was the last one in 2004. Teams don't need elite skaters to win.

thank you for proving McDavid is over rated :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad