Speculation: Who Gets Sold?

Who gets sold? (Requires a buyer)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Petry is our most valuable trade piece and absolutely should be moved. We should be able to obtain a 1st and two solid prospects for him.
yeah that's the value of Petry On His Best Day, let's hope they don't know the value of Petry On His Worst Day :laugh: i love Petry, but the guy is so up and down from game to game it's amazing

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Who replaces Petry? Gonna have a huge gap there.
There is a gap from him to what we have in our system, no doubt. Can Brook step in to soften the blow, doubtful. Can we sign a FA (Barrie), doubtful. The thought I have is he's at his most valuable right now and the iron is hot. All the insiders are saying teams will be lining up for him and the return will be significant. I'm not sure we can let this opportunity to pass us by. We could trade him in the summer but it won't be as valuable and even less so at next year's deadline. Then what happens if he gets injured...he's a throw away because there is no reason to sign him going forward unless he's willing to give a very friendly team discount on both dollars and term. Can't see that happening.

A 1st, a top prospect (maybe two legitimate prospects) is just too inviting to me for a team that needs a boost in talent/skill.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I don't see Petry moving...Dmen are hard to find, especially guys who can play 24 mins a night, I just don't see the Habs even entertaining the thought of moving him.

Tatar is a different story though, i'd hope Bergevin uses the same kind of logic he used to move Andrew Shaw this past summer.
Still trying to figure out why he didn't do the same with Byron. Anyways, I think both Petry and Tatar stay which seems like a mistake.

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
I would be really impressed if Bergevin is able to move any of these guys for a late pick:
  • Weise
  • Peca
  • Kinkaid
  • Folin
  • McNiven
He made wine out of water during the last couple of years with similar guys that I felt had next to no value:
  • Deslaurier (4th)
  • Reilly (5th)
  • Chaput (Weal)
  • Valiev/Taormina (Kulak)
  • Bourque (4th & Armia)
  • Hawkey (5th)
  • Morrow (4th)
  • Jerabek (5th)
  • Montoya (4th)
  • Mitchell (4th)
I also think he can squeeze some value out of:
  • Scandella w retention
  • Kovalchuk
  • Cousins
  • Weal
  • Kulak
  • Thompson
Everyone else (including Tatar, Petry, Weber, Price) are all significant parts of our 2020-21 team that will look to rebound
And Kovalchuk off the scrap heap for a third

Locks

May 28, 2005
I don't see Petry moving...Dmen are hard to find, especially guys who can play 24 mins a night, I just don't see the Habs even entertaining the thought of moving him.

Tatar is a different story though, i'd hope Bergevin uses the same kind of logic he used to move Andrew Shaw this past summer.

I agree on Petry, the return could be very tempting so we see many here are calling for a trade. But with Juulsen's situation cloudy, there is not anyone ready to step into 2RD role. They expect to be competitive next sesason with more experienced Suzuki, Fleury and KK as well as the arival of Romanov and possibly Primeau in the picture. So it is unlikely they create a big hole to basically negate the gains listed. However, if the RD kids - Fleury and Brook - show they are ready for the next step at some point next season and possibly Juulsen is back in the picture, the Habs might feel it is ripe to pul the triger on Petry. And while the return will be less as a rental, the in demand rentals still fetch solid value like Heyes did (a first and an NHL-ready prospect)

Tatar is in a different boat as you said. As good as he has been, they have some pretty talented LWs in Domi and Drouin and Lehkonen can fill in on top two lines if need be so it will be much more fixable loss than Petry.
I would not compare Tatar's and Shaw's situations. Shaw is a good third-liner who can fill in in the top six if need be and he never really prospered here and was clearly not Claude's favorite. Then there was his concussion history so getting rid of him for a good return was a timely move. Tatar, a career top six winger, has emerged as a top liner here and has been a big hit in Montreal. As Lebrun said, Petry they are not interested in moving, Tatar is not likely but they would listen if the offer is really strong. He also said said he knows specific teams that will be calling on Tatar. Maybe one offer will blow MB's purple socks off?

Reactions: 417

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
At this point I don't see how anyone in our organization is not expendable. There comes a time when you just have to admit your strategies are not producing results. So to say for example we can't move Petry because... This same club let Markov walk with no viable replacement. I for one am fed up of watching a boxed out talent starved group trying to out work the opposition as the only way to secure points.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
You h
Its not way too soon to make that prediction lol.

2021 is a crap draft, everybody knows it.
ave to make these projections and go for it.

I"d target some team in 2022 and just look at the Sharks right now. Ottawa is the one laughing.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
At this point I don't see how anyone in our organization is not expendable. There comes a time when you just have to admit your strategies are not producing results. So to say for example we can't move Petry because... This same club let Markov walk with no viable replacement. I for one am fed up of watching a boxed out talent starved group trying to out work the opposition as the only way to secure points.
8 years later, and we are bout to find out if MB is really going to use the draft, to make dem a bedder team.
Don't hold your breathe guys.
8 years in, and still waiting to see if Money |Mol$on will actually hold his clown GM accountable for anything.
Again, don't hold your breathe.

Reactions: Tyson

johnpaulws

Jan 24, 2020
8 years later, and we are bout to find out if MB is really going to use the draft, to make dem a bedder team.
Don't hold your breathe guys.
8 years in, and still waiting to see if Money |Mol$on will actually hold his clown GM accountable for anything.
Again, don't hold your breathe.

If there is ever a draft, or ever a time to go all in at the draft, this is the one and the time to do it,

Get as many first rounders as possible, go all in,

Do I think that will happen? Nope

Let's just let price and Weber rot away and retire Habs,

Reactions: BLONG7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad