Speculation: Who Gets Sold?

Who gets sold? (Requires a buyer)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Kovalchuk is the most obvious one. He's still a good player and could do well on a contender in the right role. Also - Montreal has no use for him for next year, so no point keeping him.

Petry/Tatar would return the most after - but i don't know that Habs will be willing to "sell" to that extent. More likely that they hold onto them. A lot of the lesser names could move, but it's hard to say as demand/return would be quite low, so who knows

Reactions: Pomee

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Petry, Tatar and Kovalchuk should be moved.

But probably won't be, especially the first 2.

Because hey, our team is fine, just injured, nothing to see here !

Bullshit 'reset' concept, not white nor black, just plain grey lines to guide everything, but...

this-is-fine-meme-625x350.jpg

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I don't think Petry will be dealt unless there's a realistic way to replace him via free agency. Subtract him from the lineup and it's pretty much a death knell to this defensive corps. His contract also allows us to postpone the decision for another year. I could see us retaining Scandella in order to re-sign him in the summer. The management wanted him for some time. Weber and Price will not be dealt.
The most obvious is Tatar as he should bring back a good return and we're relatively deep at wing when healthy. Also, wingers are easiest to replace through UFA. Kovalchuk will surely be traded. I could see teams making a pitch for Thompson and Poehling should be able to slide into his role next season. If not, then we're dealing with another underwhelming prospect. Cousins may be dealt, but I can also see us wanting to retain him. I don't think we'll move Byron now, when his value has dropped. The others I don't see teams being interested or us looking to move them.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't think Petry will be dealt unless there's a realistic way to replace him via free agency. Subtract him from the lineup and it's pretty much a death knell to this defensive corps. His contract also allows us to postpone the decision for another year. I could see us retaining Scandella in order to re-sign him in the summer. The management wanted him for some time. Weber and Price will not be dealt.
The most obvious is Tatar as he should bring back a good return and we're relatively deep at wing when healthy. Also, wingers are easiest to replace through UFA. Kovalchuk will surely be traded. I could see teams making a pitch for Thompson and Poehling should be able to slide into his role next season. If not, then we're dealing with another underwhelming prospect. Cousins may be dealt, but I can also see us wanting to retain him. I don't think we'll move Byron now, when his value has dropped. The others I don't see teams being interested or us looking to move them.
You're probably right but this isn't the right approach IMO...it's short sighted.

There shouldn't be a huge rush to replace whats not working.

And mind you, i'm not of the mind that all veterans must go...but it's clearly "sell high" on Petry right now.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I think it's only the obvious one that might go if there's any takers:

- Kovalchuk
- Scandella
- Thompson
- Weal
- Cousins

I think the ones that is left out of many list is Lindgren.

If Bergevin has some balls, i see him trade one of Domi, Danault or Gallagher.

Reactions: Pomee

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I think it's only the obvious one that might go if there's any takers:

- Kovalchuk
- Scandella
- Thompson
- Weal
- Cousins

I think the ones that is left out of many list is Lindgren.

If Bergevin has some balls, i see him trade one of Domi, Danault or Gallagher.

Yeah trading those 3 guys in bold makes no sense. I'm not saying they're untouchables - the notion of an "untouchable" has always been dumb to me. If we put together a package to go after some amazing player (like a Matthews) - than sure, you can include any/either of those players. But there's no reason to trade them as a deadline deal. Better off keeping through the rebuild/retool.

In terms of having balls to trade anyone - it would probably be Tatar/Petry who most fit that. That definitely makes us sellers - throws towel in for season. And both should fetch a good return (1st round pick easy imo).

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Why should he trade any of those guys?

As i've said this summer Domi and Danault as top 6 center doesn't work and it's not good enough to go far.

First, Danault and Gallagher might have enough of this crap and might want to play somewhere else. That we don't now but everybody assume that these guys wants to stay in Montreal which could be far from the truth.

Second, Suzuki is a center. Kotkaniemi is a center. Poehling is a center. Now either we develop them and give them top ice-time with legitimate linesmates or we let them rot where they are. If we are going with the kids, then some room has to be made….or trade one of the kid.

Third, What kind of money these guys wants? I'm not paying Danault 6.5M and i'm not paying Gallagher or Domi 8M. So if that's the kind of money one or all of them are looking for, then i'm testing the market to know what i could get for them.

This team, as it is, is not good enough and won't be good enough either. At some point some decision will need to be made for the future of this team. What good is it to have so much prospect if we don't make space for them on our top 6....

Not saying all three of them need to be move, but one to make room for our younger, cheaper prospect….absolutely.

Reactions: abo9 and Pomee

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Yeah trading those 3 guys in bold makes no sense. I'm not saying they're untouchables - the notion of an "untouchable" has always been dumb to me. If we put together a package to go after some amazing player (like a Matthews) - than sure, you can include any/either of those players. But there's no reason to trade them as a deadline deal. Better off keeping through the rebuild/retool.

In terms of having balls to trade anyone - it would probably be Tatar/Petry who most fit that. That definitely makes us sellers - throws towel in for season. And both should fetch a good return (1st round pick easy imo).

Depending if we have a new GM or not might change things.
Right now i go, sadly, with the notion that Bergevin will be the GM.

Trade Tatar….we have absolutely nobody to replace him.
You want Byron on the top line next year?

Trade Petry….we have absolutely nobody to replace him.
You want Fleury on your top 4 next year?

I said trading one of them….not all of them cause it actually make senses.
See my other post for some other aspect of it.

Suzuki, Gallagher, Caulfield, Armia
Domi, Danault, Kotkaniemi, Poehling.

If we evolve, Suzuki should play center, Kotkaniemi should have a bigger role as center.
Next year, we can assume Poehling will also need some NHL time at center.
Caufield should also be ready according to many.

Either we waste those kids, or either we make room for them.
Those are all centers and right winger…….why trade a Left winger which Don't have much now and in the future?

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Hopefully the TEAM GETS SOLD....

A new owner with real hockey passion to win, and not accept being a loser... a new owner who doesn't joke about not winning Stanley Cups.

Also, a new owner who will start plans to TEAR DOWN BELL CENTRE in next 5-8 yrs...no magic at this cursed place .One thing for certain, this property will never be considered of any historical purpose...hitting it with a wrecking ball will be easy for 99% of the fans

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

If we evolve, Suzuki should play center, Kotkaniemi should have a bigger role as center.

Those are all centers and right winger…….why trade a Left winger which Don't have much now and in the future?

The OP talks about who gets "sold". To me being "sold" means you're traded for prospects/picks/younger players.

It sounds like you're maybe talking about a hockey trade with either of Gallagher, Domi or Danault. That's not exactly the same as 'being sold'.

I agree that Domi/Danault aren't out top 2C going forward - that's a bad sign. Any of Suzuki/Poehling/KK can take either 1 or 2 of those spots. Whether this means Domi is moved to wing, and Danault is bumped to 3C, or both - there are still ways to keep them.

Reactions: Surfer72

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Bergevin will probably try to sell the UFA's and then re-sign them in the off season.

So the most likely to be sold are Kovalchuk (probably won't want to come back), Thompson (who I don't see being brought back), Cousins (please don't bring him back), Scandella (please do bring him back).

Reactions: Surfer72 and Pomee

Mike Towers

Aug 8, 2019

You get back 1st round picks and prospects for Petry and Tatar,with all the cap space Montreal will have you can replace them in the summer with UFA's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad