Player Discussion Who do you want the Stars to trade for?

Which player should the Stars acquire at the Trade deadline?

• Rick Nash

• Michael Grabner

• Luke Glendening

• Mats Zuccarello

• Max Pacioretty

• Mike Hoffman

• Patrick Maroon

• Thomas Vanek

• Evander Kane

• Max Domi

• Gustav Nyquist

• Other or none (Specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Which player should the Stars acquire at the Trade Deadline?

Or do you think they should go after a dman or another center?

And what would we give up?

Reply with some mock trades if you'd like.

You can select up to 2 players.

Reactions: Ajacied

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'd be a little surprised to see Nill add a high asset cost rental, but I could see him spending big on a hockey trade.

Gustav Nyquist has 1 more year at $4.75 million.
Max Pacioretty has 1 more year at $4.5 million.
Mats Zuccarello has 1 more year at $4.5 million.
Mike Hoffman has 2 more years at $5.1875 million.

I feel like Hoffman is the guy you target. If the trade happened on the day of the trade deadline, according to Cap Friendly and assuming Ritchie was part of the deal, Dallas would be over the cap be $444,411. That's easily resolved by sending down Dickinson and carrying 13 forwards.

For what it's worth, Dallas would save $92,500 in total cap hit should Honka get traded and he's then replaced with Heatherington.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I'd be a little surprised to see Nill add a high asset cost rental, but I could see him spending big on a hockey trade.

Gustav Nyquist has 1 more year at $4.75 million.
Max Pacioretty has 1 more year at $4.5 million.
Mats Zuccarello has 1 more year at $4.5 million.
Mike Hoffman has 2 more years at $5.1875 million.

I feel like Hoffman is the guy you target. If the trade happened on the day of the trade deadline, according to Cap Friendly and assuming Ritchie was part of the deal, Dallas would be over the cap be $444,411. That's easily resolved by sending down Dickinson and carrying 13 forwards.

For what it's worth, Dallas would save $92,500 in total cap hit should Honka get traded and he's then replaced with Heatherington.

Problem is Hoffman would cost a fortune and likely isn't available since they were leaning towards keeping him. Would be a perfect addition to our team though

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Problem is Hoffman would cost a fortune and likely isn't available since they were leaning towards keeping him. Would be a perfect addition to our team though

Totally agree that he would cost a ton, and I did see there was may some reluctance to trade him now. My thought though is that Ottawa is a little unstable. Karlsson publicly saying he wouldn't take a hometown discount a couple months ago followed up weeks later with the owner calling out the fan base and threatening relocation and cuts to players if the attendance didn't approve just seems wheels off.

There's more talk that Karlsson could get traded, and I do wonder if Honka would be attractive to them. He's cheap with big upside. I can't imagine Nill lets another young defender flounder and eventually become a useless asset. I don't want them to trade him, but I think it might be worth it if he's part of a package to get a guy like Hoffman.

Plus, Stone is about to get a big raise. Now, I know Shapiro has talked about targeting Stone. If they actually wanted to move him, I think that would be pretty great too.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Totally agree that he would cost a ton, and I did see there was may some reluctance to trade him now. My thought though is that Ottawa is a little unstable. Karlsson publicly saying he wouldn't take a hometown discount a couple months ago followed up weeks later with the owner calling out the fan base and threatening relocation and cuts to players if the attendance didn't approve just seems wheels off.

There's more talk that Karlsson could get traded, and I do wonder if Honka would be attractive to them. He's cheap with big upside. I can't imagine Nill lets another young defender flounder and eventually become a useless asset. I don't want them to trade him, but I think it might be worth it if he's part of a package to get a guy like Hoffman.

Plus, Stone is about to get a big raise. Now, I know Shapiro has talked about targeting Stone. If they actually wanted to move him, I think that would be pretty great too.

Stone would cost Heiskanen and Honka+ Most likely. No way he gets moved and no way Nill gives up the assets to acquire him, but if Nill could work his magic that would be amazing lol. Stone isn't available though sadly

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Luke Glendening. Lol

The only reason I didn't completely dismiss it was honestly the signing of Hanzal. That IMO was equally out of left field as trading for Glendening. Dallas already had Seguin, Spezza, and Faksa down the middle, and the thought was this would negatively impact Faksa. Fast forward and really Spezza suffers, but that's most a result of hope that Spezza's decline was from poor usage by Ruff and not really an older player falling off a cliff. Nill has been unpredictable at times both making trades/free agents signings and not pursuing upgrades at certain positions (goalie comes to mind until finally this summer).

That said, with Nill's comment to Shapiro last now was very surprising. That has nothing to do with him claiming not interest though. Nill rarely says anything. He's really good being evasive and non-committal. I know I haven't watched as closely so I may have missed examples, but I can't recall Nill as Dallas' GM being so direct about A) no we didn't make a call and more surprisingly B) that makes no sense for my team. That seemed like a rare moment of speaking clarity about his view of a trade/free agent signing prior to it happening or when it is a rumor.

It also encourages me that he might actually leave space for a young guy next year and sack Spezza. I absolutely want to see Dickinson and Hintz fighting for a full time center spot next year. Plus, lets just be realistic. Hanzal will miss time next season, probably often. There's a reasonable chance Dallas is throwing out Seguin, Faksa, Dickinson and Hintz at center often next year. You'd still have depth with guys like Shore and Janmark having the ability to slide in the middle, but you'd be fairly light in the AHL with legitimate NHL call ups.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
We could use a Winger that takes Shores Top 6 and Powerplay minutes and well produces at a better rate. Graber is not that . Hoffman would be ideal but too expensive . Vanek , Nash , Kane maybe Pacioretty would be options. Maybe something out of left field but there aren't that many wingers that produce on the PP around that are available

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
We could use a Winger that takes Shores Top 6 and Powerplay minutes and well produces at a better rate. Graber is not that . Hoffman would be ideal but too expensive . Vanek , Nash , Kane maybe Pacioretty would be options. Maybe something out of left field but there aren't that many wingers that produce on the PP around that are available

Agree!

I’d make calls and offer up 2nd rounders, Shore, Ritchie and prospects not named Heiskanen, Honka or Hintz and see who bites.

Have a strong feeling Nill will do nothing and that would hurt out chances. We really need more secondary scoring.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
R I C K N A S H

M A X P A C I O R E T T Y

M I K E H O F F M A N

R Y A N M C D O N A G H !!!!!!!!!!! (pretty please)

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I'd like a 2nd line winger that is a pure rental and can score. A Vanek or a Nash type of guy. Vanek should be dirt cheap and Id take Nash for a conditional 2nd. Ideally the trade would be Rtichie + pick (depends on the quality of player coming back) that way we enter the offseason with a 1RW and a 3RW with holes on the 2nd and 4th line. Evaluate Nichushkin and if they think he will be more of a 4RW go get a winger in free agency

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Nyquist would be my preferred choice, always liked him. I believe he can play on either wing, can make plays and can score. Having a tough year with Det, but that may make it cheaper not terrible compared to the others who are available for trae. Could see him play very well with Janmark & Spezza.

Edit: spelling

masinaLFC

Apr 2, 2014
Banska Bystrica, SVK
Nyquist would be my preferred choice, always liked him. I believe he can play on either wing, can make plays and can score. Having a tough year with Det, but that may make it cheaper not terrible compared to the others who are available for trae. Could see him play very well with Janmark & Spezza.

yep.. nyquist or tatar would be great

serp

Jan 17, 2016

He's also not a rental and still an under contract next year so we wouldn't need to go out and sign someone for next season or rely on prospects to make the jump.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
I don’t suppose any of the forwards we idiotically passed on in previous drafts like Barzal, Konecky, and the like are available?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I don’t suppose any of the forwards we idiotically passed on in previous drafts like Barzal, Konecky, and the like are available?

Don't forget DeBrincat, a scoring top 6 RW/LW that would be pretty nice to have right now. None are available. Tolvanen is another RW that Nill passed up on that could very well be a big goal scorer in the top 6.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Keep thinking a tweener is a special player

Always slips my mind that you have a solid scouting résumé and that your opinion is relevant. Otherwise who would be so blindly confident in all their silly opinions?

pbatx

Feb 26, 2015
Austin, TX
Are we ready to give up a 1st + Honka + Jason Robertson for Pacioretty ?

Painful, but I am and we get an extra year of Patches. The lines look really solid after that.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I think I'd rather have Hoffman if you're giving up those type of assets. He's younger, more productive, and signed longer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad