Player Discussion Who do you want the Stars to trade for?

Which player should the Stars acquire at the Trade deadline?

• Rick Nash

• Michael Grabner

• Luke Glendening

• Mats Zuccarello

• Max Pacioretty

• Mike Hoffman

• Patrick Maroon

• Thomas Vanek

• Evander Kane

• Max Domi

• Gustav Nyquist

• Other or none (Specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Are we ready to give up a 1st + Honka + Jason Robertson for Pacioretty ?

Painful, but I am and we get an extra year of Patches. The lines look really solid after that.

I'm definitely not ready to give up that much.

What BigG44 said, we better get Hoffman if we give up assets like that lol

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
One thing to keep in mind is if we signed Patches or Hoffman, it would reduce the need for forward prospects, since one fewer of them could come in and play. Seems like we could give up one of our top 3 - Robertson, Hintz, JD - and one of our secondary three - DG, Davis, Caamano, Smith, Elie, Ritchie, whoever.

Honka would be a bit harder, but doable, really, assuming we re-sign Hammer, and Miro and Heatherington pan out.

Hopefully with those two, the pick could be a second (maybe conditional upgrade, or our first exchanged for their earlier second).

Painful, but that is what it would take. And, with a year or two more of a top FW, it would be a hockey trade, one you would make to go all in for the next two years.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Hoffman is the guy to go for but only if the price is right . Zuccarello would be nice but likely would cost a lot too . So there best off going for Nash or Grabner as a rental for a draft pick .

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Reacting mostly to your "broken mentally" statement. An over reaction (I think) to a current slump. I have looked for signs there are hidden injuries, discontent with Hitch (a bit early for that, but possible) or other problems, and I just think they are a bit tired, trying to dog it and get by, because they won a few games that way, etc.

I think Nill knows the team as constructed needs some depth scoring and always has, just to guard against his top guys either slumping or shut down in the PO by some great checking lines. This slump would likely increase his desire to trade for a win now scenario, not decrease it, no?

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I think it depends on how much he thinks his job is in question if this team misses the playoffs yet again. If he feels entirely safe, he might GM that way by protecting every asset for the future. If he thinks Gaglardi is getting impatient with his GM winning more offseasons than regular seasons, he might try to strike a deal to help seal a playoff run.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Is there a way he can get Karlsson without giving up benn , seguin , radulov , klingberg , Lindell or heiskanen ? That leaves guys like guryanov , nichushkin , Robertson , honka , tufte , Dickinson . Is there any way they can afford it cap wise ?maybe by including methot? Imagine next year having
heiskanen-Karlsson
Lindell -klingberg
Heatherington-johns

Robertson, honka , nichushkin , methot and 2 first round picks could maybe interest them ...

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Is there a way he can get Karlsson without giving up benn , seguin , radulov , klingberg , Lindell or heiskanen ? That leaves guys like guryanov , nichushkin , Robertson , honka , tufte , Dickinson . Is there any way they can afford it cap wise ?maybe by including methot? Imagine next year having
heiskanen-Karlsson
Lindell -klingberg
Heatherington-johns

Robertson, honka , nichushkin , methot and 2 first round picks could maybe interest them ...

Now that is a deep defense. My goodness they'd be incredible. Almost no way we could get Karlsson without giving up Heiskanen though sadly

Reactions: Bfantz

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Our number one target, according to this poll, just went to the Bruins.

I suppose the Stars were in on him as well, but backed out seeing the costs. The price would be around a first, Shore, Bayreuther, 7th and a cap dump we have no comparison of. Sure glad we dodged that bullet. Definitely a price I’d pay for Pacioretty though, who’s signed a year longer. Maybe change the first with a decent prospect.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I agree about being mad if we do nothing, but at the same time with the loses to Van, SJ and the Jets I'm starting to wonder if we'll even make the playoffs

I do want us to add a top 6 forward with term, but I can see why Nill won't move our first if that needs to be included

We have enough prospects that should be able to get a deal done though

Those loses came at the worst time imo

Reactions: Kcb12345

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
My guess is Nill is going to come away from this deadline with calm talk about how the prices were too steep. Since we can all see this roster isn’t good enough, obviously a Cup run isn’t happening this season, but his ultra conservative style will not allow him to take a shot at improving the roster, which is odd considering his first draft style seems to involve taking several shots before picking a name.

The Stars currently sit at a 74% odds of making the playoffs, so it’s likely Nill will be able to declare this season a success over last season. There will be talk about how Hanzal’s injuries robbed the team of doing better.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I honestly expect Nill to do nothing.

I'm sure he has some irons in the fire but nothing useful will come of it. If we aren't getting someone with term it's useless because we'll be right back to Shore/Ritchie/Elie next season and I can't handle that. No team planning on making noise in the NHL has those shitters in the lineup. Bring up Hintz and Dickinson. Heck bring up Dudianov. I can't handle S/R/E anymore.

Reactions: Kcb12345

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I believe you would be giving up too early on Shore and Ritchie, and that Elie and Smith are what they are - speedy fourth liners who can replace Roussell at a fraction of what he will demand on the UFA market.

Both Shore and Ritchie had 15-16 goals last year, not bad for youngsters. Step back could be adjusting to Hitch's system. Yes, both are in slumps, but I wouldn't give up on them until they score <10 goals next year. Case in point was all those fans who were ready to trade Johns last year as washed up, and he has come up with a real nice season now, making those look a bit silly. Fans are just a bit too much black and white on players. In a slump? Trade them now for a bag of pucks!

Top end for both was always 20 goals, which I would expect they would hit under the right conditions. Of course, it is possible that they are just both hurt by Hitch's system in some way I don't understand. At least, that is what Nill would tell prospective trade partners, and I bet there would be some "change of scenery" believers who would line up to take them.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
I’m not a fan of Shore, Ritchie and Elie, either, but don’t overreact. Ritchie and Elie are average fourth liners, while Shore is a decent third liner, yet not a standout in anything.

That said. I am all for trading either (or all) of them.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Overreact? How much more time and chances do they need? Shore and Ritchie are terrible and I believe last season was a fluke for the both of them. These guys are not NHLers on a contender. I could handle Ritchie as permanent fixture on the 4th line as a banger and that's only assuming we had better wingers. If Shore is not producing offense he needs to be gone because he can't do anything else but collect minuses.

I have no problems with Gemel Smith.

Elie is the worst of the lot and not an NHLer and when I see him playing with Benn I f***ing cringe. He has zero hands and doesn't do a single thing at even an average level. Him as a cheaper replacement for Roose is laughable.

The reality is the Stars are a very shallow team with pretty much 50% of the forwards being dead weight.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Every team has those types of players. The fact is that with a lack of secondary scoring, they are being played in a top 6/9 role, when neither should. Shore on the 3rd and Ritchie/Elie on the fourth is meh, but not the reason we stink so bad.

I’ll point the finger towards Spezza, Nill (for not acknowledging secondary scoring help) and maybe even Benn. I think Nill expected Hanzal to come in and be an insurance to Spezza, but that hasn’t really worked out that way, either.

Please tell me, that with another top six forward, this team’s forward pack has 50% dead weight on it:

Benn - Seguin - Radulov
Janmark - Spezza - XXXX
Roussel - Faksa - Pitlick
Shore - Hanzal - Ritchie

But like I said, I would be delighted if we could use Shore, Ritchie, Elie to upgrade up front.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Agree we need another top six forward (or two), and a good one. Contractually, Spezza, Hanzel, and maybe even Benn lately have been the biggest drags. Can't wait to resign Seguin next year just as his five year run of productivity starts to slow down.

On third line, Roussel down a bit, but Pitlick is up. Faksa could maybe do more scoring, maybe not his thing, but we do need him. Janmark doing his thing, but we hold our breaths.

On 4th line, Shore and Ritchie down from last year.

Should we be surprised in the Hitchcock system (for lower two lines) or age catching up on our top 2 lines?

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Shore
Elie
Ritchie
Spezza
Hanzel

These guys are all bad. I don't believe all teams have players like we do. Check out the Jets. Their healthy bottom six eats ours alive. It's not close and also explains their place in the standings.

Like you said, we need to make a move for someone with term desperately to move everyone down one line.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
IMHO, your post IS the typical fan over reaction. And, BTW, our lower line actually did outskate the Jets, at least in the first period. And I left after goal 5, so can't comment on the entire game. But, apparently we were playing on emotion and the true talent levels showed later on in the middle frame.

Agree none have been anything special, but to varying degrees, the first four typify young players on the way up, and the latter two typify older players on the way down. Every team probably has them.

The young guys aren't bad, they just aren't stars. And, despite development bumps in the road, Shore and Ritchie in particular still have some potential upside. It is just too expensive in the cap era to jettison drafted players in an attempt at a minor upgrade (a la Nash 14 goals vs X for Shore or Pitlick, etc.)

Heck, even in the Mo-Niewy-Hull days, every year, one would be over 30 goals and the other two weren't. Verbeek hit 30 only once, dropping to 16 Cup year, Lehtinen went up or down the 20 something scale to chip in. Few suggested they should be let go, so I don't understand why we should expect that our secondary scorers won't have up and down years. Just too many having down years this year.

Yes, in the end, if our mid pack drafted forwards aren't as good as other teams, we won't win the Cup. Even then, it takes a team all gelling together, miracle performances from unknown guys, few injuries, etc. to win. It's pretty clear that right now, we aren't getting the scoring depth from them and we aren't winning anything this year. However, as Nill says, you have to keep half an eye on the years ahead, and continually trading out personnel because of a weak season is not doing that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad