Speculation: Who do you think is traded during the off-season?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I think it is Marner. A new boss for Shanahan who said he wants to win, rumors of changes if the Leafs lose early (and they just hired Treliving and Keefe being fired isn't enough apparently).

Watching Matthews play with Domi and Bertuzzi and seeing Marner play his soft style of game lower in the lineup it is obvious Marner does not fit with what Treliving wants. Even Nylander is more physical.

Marner is also tired of the media. I could see a Gaudreau situation for him where he gets his money and goes to a small market team without the pressure. Leafs get likely some futures back for him and use his cap to keep a competative team this season, and then spend the next year with Tavares expiring.

Reactions: Burkeocet and JKG33

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
I think it is Marner. A new boss for Shanahan who said he wants to win, rumors of changes if the Leafs lose early (and they just hired Treliving and Keefe being fired isn't enough apparently).

Watching Matthews play with Domi and Bertuzzi and seeing Marner play his soft style of game lower in the lineup it is obvious Marner does not fit with what Treliving wants. Even Nylander is more physical.

Marner is also tired of the media. I could see a Gaudreau situation for him where he gets his money and goes to a small market team without the pressure. Leafs get likely some futures back for him and use his cap to keep a competative team this season, and then spend the next year with Tavares expiring.
Didn't Friedman explicitly state on a recent 32 Thoughts episode that Matthews has made it very clear that he likes and wants to play with Marner? They don't necessarily have to do what Matthews wants of course, but it adds a layer of complexity to this discussion.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Didn't Friedman explicitly state on a recent 32 Thoughts episode that Matthews has made it very clear that he likes and wants to play with Marner? They don't necessarily have to do what Matthews wants of course, but it adds a layer of complexity to this discussion.

Goal scorer likes playing with one of the best playmakers in the league is not surprising. But fi Marner wants 13Mx8 or some nonsense after another mediocre playoff there is no way they can pay that and Matthews will get over it.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

Marner NMC+11 mill contract means if he is traded, it will be for virtually nothing if you can trade him at all

Reactions: MajorWeber

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
He has 1 year of term and is worth 11M easily. So I disagree with you.
Find me a team that Marner would A) waive to and B) has the 11 mill in extra cap space and a need for marner

and then explain to me why that team would not simply wait 1 year and get him for free (since he's waiving his FULL NMC, that means he prefers that destination to Toronto).

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Find me a team that Marner would A) waive to and B) has the 11 mill in extra cap space and a need for marner

and then explain to me why that team would not simply wait 1 year and get him for free (since he's waiving his FULL NMC, that means he prefers that destination to Toronto).

That's not what it means. There is a scenario he wants to be a Leaf and Toronto says they want to move him. There are plenty of examples of the opposite of what you mention as well.

Not going to argue hypotheticals at this time, just my opinion.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
That's not what it means. There is a scenario he wants to be a Leaf and Toronto says they want to move him. There are plenty of examples of the opposite of what you mention as well.

Not going to argue hypotheticals at this time, just my opinion.
If Marner wants to remain a leaf and Toronto says they want to move him, Marner executes his FULL NMC and no trade occurs

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
A draft pick. Not a first. He’s not worth that IMO.

So whatever is the best pick offered knowing it won’t be a 1st.

Hoping for a 2nd, would settle for less. Avs need the cap space to resign the very impressive Jon Drouin.

Would you offer a 2nd? If so. Sold.
Done

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
A draft pick. Not a first. He’s not worth that IMO.

So whatever is the best pick offered knowing it won’t be a 1st.

Hoping for a 2nd, would settle for less. Avs need the cap space to resign the very impressive Jon Drouin.

Would you offer a 2nd? If so. Sold.
How about replacing one of the ufas you have at the bottom of the lineup with our Nate Bastian (1 more at $1.35M) and the better of our 2- 3rd picks? He's fine at the bottom, played with Woody etc. Now that his buddy has legal trouble I can see us breaking off from him. Big strong kid, I thought he did well as net front on PP. Nothing special but a warm body who can play. Just time for both groups to move on.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
NMC means he picks his spot. He can block any deal and nobody is trying to not extend anyways. It would lower his value but not tank it.

I still think even with lowered value he returns some valuable pieces. And to be honest, the main benefit is restructuring the cap structure and adding potentially 12M in space.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
How about replacing one of the ufas you have at the bottom of the lineup with our Nate Bastian (1 more at $1.35M) and the better of our 2- 3rd picks? He's fine at the bottom, played with Woody etc. Now that his buddy has legal trouble I can see us breaking off from him. Big strong kid, I thought he did well as net front on PP. Nothing special but a warm body who can play. Just time for both groups to move on.
Maybe. We could use a R shot RW. Looks a bit like Wood though. Would like it better if he was making $900k, but it's not a killer that his AAV is a little high for a bottom liner.

If the Avs pro scouts liked him.. sure.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Maybe. We could use a R shot RW. Looks a bit like Wood though. Would like it better if he was making $900k, but it's not a killer that his AAV is a little high for a bottom liner.

If the Avs pro scouts liked him.. sure.
Woody was a bit of an on-ice assistant coach to these guys Bastian and McLeod) when they broke in. Explaining we are not the superstars but serve a purpose. He's a lite version of Colton (without the scoring I meant)

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
From New Jersey:

Jonas Siegenthaler
Alexander Holtz
John Marino
and pains me to say, but Dawson Mercer are potential candidates to be traded this summer.

I think Siegenthaler and Holtz are the most likely to be moved.

Marino and Mercer are much less likely, but possible if a deal makes sense. (Brady Tkachuk? Juuse Saros?)

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I still think even with lowered value he returns some valuable pieces. And to be honest, the main benefit is restructuring the cap structure and adding potentially 12M in space.
If traded unretained I think the most you'd be looking at is a late 1st.

That full NMC means you will have marner picking his destination.
That 11 mill rental status makes it tough to justify a team paying more. If you value a 1st at about 5 mill, marner would have to be a 16 mill player to justify, which he is certainly not

• Haha
Reactions: HockeyVirus

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Woody was a bit of an on-ice assistant coach to these guys Bastian and McLeod) when they broke in. Explaining we are not the superstars but serve a purpose. He's a lite version of Colton (without the scoring I meant)
Does he PK and is he good at it. If the answer is yes. I like it. If no. Then send a draft pick

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Does he PK and is he good at it. If the answer is yes. I like it. If no. Then send a draft pick
He does actually. I think its one of the best things he does TBH. He's a big body and has bounced around depending on teh coach. Lindy had a quick transition game and he's not slow but he's not Hughes or Bratt!

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
Gonna be a lot clearer after the first round is over, could be major shake ups in Toronto and Edmonton is they go out in the first round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad