Speculation: Who do you feel Bergevin might deal first this season?

Stan

Mar 20, 2005
I think a trade is probably the way to go. I honestly don't know why we don't take a run at Myers and Ott from Buffalo. It may cost but it will address a couple major needs. Plus, they're not 36 years old.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Yeah you're right he could do the job (but he lacked consistency defensively during his career), honestly IMO the team should upgrade the D by getting someone better than Gorges/Diaz and then by trading one of them.

Looking at the list (I'm looking at guys 33 and younger) :

Pitkanen
Orpik
Meszaros (Not a top 4 anymore)
Nick Schultz
Girardi (the priority)
Quincey (Maybe ?)
Klesla (injuried alot, seems like he's not a top 4 anymore)
Nikitin (Having a down season, but he could be an interesting choice)
Hainsey (Inconsistent and soft)
Gilbert
MacDonald

Some of these guys will sign with their team, so sadly it's not a good year to find a top 4 through the UFA market. Maybe a trade could be more interesting.

Also they have to either resign Murray as Physical depth or sign a guy with the similar role IMO :

Greene
Stoner
Fistric
Engelland
Stuart

Nikitin, MacDonald, and Gilbert are guys I think Bergevin will be looking to for signing. I think they will come at a lesser paid group. Not looking for huge $$$ amounts but just under the big money guys. It is hard to gauge what they will get because it seems more and more dman are going to eventually go off the market, ex. Phaneuf. Teams will follow the same trend when they see the upcoming market for dman closer to end of the playoffs.

Fistric, I personally would of love to have him a season or two ago, but I would prefer to bring in a guy like Pateryn over him.

I am very interested in Stuart. He could play a bottom pairing role with the Habs and would be part of the leadership group I find if he came here. Another Habs poster said Jets fans absolutely dislike the guy. I don't know if that's the case because the whole Jets squad has been inconsistent. He suggested having Pateryn and Tinordi fulltime over signing him. I find its ridiculous as he has a lot of experience and is physical.

Greene he will probably be in the more expensive dman group if he makes it to the market and Bergevin isn't in a position to spend ridiculously.

I think this would be something our squad will look like next year.

FORWARDS

Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / David Desharnais ($3.500m) / Brad Boyes ($2.500m)
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Daniel Winnik ($3.000m)
Alex Galchenyuk ($0.925m) / Lars Eller ($3.500m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.685m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Ryan White ($0.850m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m)
Daniel Briere ($4.000m) / Michael Bournival ($0.660m)

DEFENSEMEN

Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / P.K. Subban ($8.000m)
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / Tom Gilbert ($2.750m)
Alexei Emelin ($4.100m) / Jarred Tinordi ($0.870m)
Davis Drewiske ($0.638m)

GOALTENDERS

Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)

BUYOUTS

Tomas Kaberle ($0.000m)
Scott Gomez ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,710,833; BONUSES: $2,907,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $389,167

I think its going to be these guys that Bergevin gets where he isn't dishing out premiums to get these guys.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
Can people stop posting lineups where Alex Galchenyuk starts next season as third line winger?!

Apr 28, 2010
Not sure about the numbers but since the cap is going up, I think the team should go for a top line RW (to replace Gionta) and a first pairing (a lefty) dman. Thats it. Lets face it, DD is here to stay. As much as I want him gone.

XXX - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Tinordi/Bealieu/Drewiske

It's mostly defense that I want MB to work on.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
and a first pairing (a lefty) dman.

Already have too many left sided dmen. And presumably this is a mythical left sided first pairing dman available on the free agency market for a discount price?

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
Don't know who he might trade first but it is unlikely to be Briere because he has no value another year on his contract and a NTC. Gionta might waive his NTC but a trade would probably only happen at the deadline. Bouillon, Murray and Parros have no value. I doubt there are any takers for Desharnais, more because of his size and his contract than his recent play.

That leaves guys like Diaz, Bourque and perhaps Moen or White as candidates. You could throw in some minor leaguers/Europeans like Christian Thomas, Magnus Nygren, Morgan Ellis and maybe even Louis Leblanc.

In my opinion the only kind of trade that has a chance of helping this team is if we trade one or more of the guys listed and acquiring a young talent (perhaps someone playing in the minors) and hoping they take advantage of an opportunity. I don't know who that might be but with the shortage of talent and cap space among NHL teams, acquiring a proven player who has some gas left in the tank and fits the salary structure is a huge challenge.

KingRoy33

Sep 7, 2010
I can see Briere getting traded. He was a healthy scratch last night which probably isn't helping with the situation. They tried the whole homecoming thing but its not working out for both parties so I can see Briere waiving his NTC. Possibly the Preds who apparently were the other team close to signing him? They need offence and can definitely provide him with top 6 minutes.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I can see Briere getting traded. He was a healthy scratch last night which probably isn't helping with the situation. They tried the whole homecoming thing but its not working out for both parties so I can see Briere waiving his NTC. Possibly the Preds who apparently were the other team close to signing him? They need offence and can definitely provide him with top 6 minutes.

If that prediction is right, could I get you to pick my lotto numbers?:laugh: We should trade him for Haley Wickenheiser, she would be a much better player.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Can people stop posting lineups where Alex Galchenyuk starts next season as third line winger?!

Lol it feels like that's what management sees him as. In any case, he won't pass Patches at LW and with DD / Plek / Eller here he won't be moved to center.

Oh and as of now Therrien seems to believe Bourque deserves to be higher up in the depth chart on the LW.

I'm totally with you though, he should already be playing top line minutes as a winger or 2nd - 3rd line minutes as a center.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal

I haven't seen anything from Chucky to suggest that he has earned anything more. People must remember that he is young, and that it is amazing that he is playing at this level at such a young age. I think that much greater things are to come for him, and that he is learning everyday, but that he is no Crosby! Give him time to learn the ropes, to grow in to his body, and at some point in the future, he will force our coach's (who ever he will be at that point) hand.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
I haven't seen anything from Chucky to suggest that he has earned anything more.

Second highest scoring forward despite being eighth in ice time. What does he have to do to 'earn more' (apart from suddenly learn that he's actually French, obviously)?

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Second highest scoring forward despite being eighth in ice time. What does he have to do to 'earn more' (apart from suddenly learn that he's actually French, obviously)?

And pretty much the only guy that generates anything 5 on 5 with 42 ESP out of his 50 career pts which leads the Habs last 2 seasons

PunkinDrublic*

I haven't seen anything from Chucky to suggest that he has earned anything more. People must remember that he is young, and that it is amazing that he is playing at this level at such a young age. I think that much greater things are to come for him, and that he is learning everyday, but that he is no Crosby! Give him time to learn the ropes, to grow in to his body, and at some point in the future, he will force our coach's (who ever he will be at that point) hand.

What ??? There is a whole lot of fail in that statement !!!!:help:

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Therrien is managing Galchenyuk's ice time and the pressure that comes along with it. Galchenyuk is good but, clearly, he hasn't filled out yet and isn't nearly strong enough physically to dominate larger, older opponents.

If Galchenyuk gets to be as strong on the puck, one-on-one as Eller has become, for example, he'll be a force to reckon with. Stats alone aren't enough to show you how ready a player is to dominate in certain game situations.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
Therrien is managing Galchenyuk's ice time and the pressure that comes along with it. Galchenyuk is good but, clearly, he hasn't filled out yet and isn't nearly strong enough physically to dominate larger, older opponents.

If Galchenyuk gets to be as strong on the puck, one-on-one as Eller has become, for example, he'll be a force to reckon with. Stats alone aren't enough to show you how ready a player is to dominate in certain game situations.

Of course, and I don't have many issues with how Galchenyuk has been managed thus far. I very much doubt that Thierrien expects him to slot in as third line winger heading into next season, however.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
Nikitin, MacDonald, and Gilbert are guys I think Bergevin will be looking to for signing. I think they will come at a lesser paid group. Not looking for huge $$$ amounts but just under the big money guys. It is hard to gauge what they will get because it seems more and more dman are going to eventually go off the market, ex. Phaneuf. Teams will follow the same trend when they see the upcoming market for dman closer to end of the playoffs.

Fistric, I personally would of love to have him a season or two ago, but I would prefer to bring in a guy like Pateryn over him.

I am very interested in Stuart. He could play a bottom pairing role with the Habs and would be part of the leadership group I find if he came here. Another Habs poster said Jets fans absolutely dislike the guy. I don't know if that's the case because the whole Jets squad has been inconsistent. He suggested having Pateryn and Tinordi fulltime over signing him. I find its ridiculous as he has a lot of experience and is physical.

Greene he will probably be in the more expensive dman group if he makes it to the market and Bergevin isn't in a position to spend ridiculously.

I think this would be something our squad will look like next year.

FORWARDS

Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / David Desharnais ($3.500m) / Brad Boyes ($2.500m)
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Daniel Winnik ($3.000m)
Alex Galchenyuk ($0.925m) / Lars Eller ($3.500m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.685m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Ryan White ($0.850m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m)
Daniel Briere ($4.000m) / Michael Bournival ($0.660m)

DEFENSEMEN

Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / P.K. Subban ($8.000m)
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / Tom Gilbert ($2.750m)
Alexei Emelin ($4.100m) / Jarred Tinordi ($0.870m)
Davis Drewiske ($0.638m)

GOALTENDERS

Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)

BUYOUTS

Tomas Kaberle ($0.000m)
Scott Gomez ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,710,833; BONUSES: $2,907,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $389,167

I think its going to be these guys that Bergevin gets where he isn't dishing out premiums to get these guys.

Yeah, looking at the options I kind of hope he go on the trade block.

Vancouver seems to have a bunch of guys that are having bad seasons : Burrows, Hansen, Booth, Hamhuis, Edler, Bieksa thoses are the kind of players the Habs need.

habitue*

Yeah, looking at the options I kind of hope he go on the trade block.

Vancouver seems to have a bunch of guys that are having bad seasons : Burrows, Hansen, Booth, Hamhuis, Edler, Bieksa thoses are the kind of players the Habs need.

The best the Habs can do are lateral moves. Our problems traded for other team's problems, hoping to ignate the player's production.

Burrows is injured, I think, and has a very long, expensive contract. He is not young anymore,too. Booth is very fragile. Edler, another long contract to swallow.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
The best the Habs can do are lateral moves. Our problems traded for other team's problems, hoping to ignate the player's production.

Burrows is injured, I think, and has a very long, expensive contract. He is not young anymore,too. Booth is very fragile. Edler, another long contract to swallow.

Burrows has a 4 years 4,5 millions cap hit contract, it's pretty cheap for a top 6 forward.

For Edler it's 6 years for 5 millions cap hit, which is another good contract (much more than Gorges 3,9 millions cap hit).

KingRoy33

Sep 7, 2010
If that prediction is right, could I get you to pick my lotto numbers?:laugh: We should trade him for Haley Wickenheiser, she would be a much better player.

So looks like I might have to provide you with Lotto numbers hahaha

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal

1- Not being the worse winger on the team to defend in his own zone.
2- Being able to play on a constant basis against the other team's best players
3- Getting that 1/2 second speed to make better decision, generally.
4- He's already big, but isn't a "man" yet, and doesn't end up on the winner side enough in battles for the puck.

All that will come in time. Probably next year.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Another week and MB did zip. He won't I tell ya. Wait for big speech after we get bounced in 1st round. We gave a plan. He will say

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad