Speculation: Who do you feel Bergevin might deal first this season?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Either Gionta or Bourque, although Gio has a no trade clause he might waive it depending on the team that's interested.

I don't expect anything to happen until closer to the trade deadline when teams will be looking for "depth." Gionta has the Stanley Cup ring factor, leader, etc. going for him.

MB needs to do a San Jose and move on from some guys even if he thinks it might hurt the team's chances in the short term.

Bourque, Diaz and Gionta are 3 guys that MB should trade. In that order.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
It depends more on what other GMs want than on what Bergevin wants to unload. It's a buyer's market because the players we fans want to get rid of aren't hot commodities,

Saintpatrick*

We don't really have enough depth to make any big trades. I could see Plekanec get moved though, him or Gorges.

If you move Pleks you might as well tank the season and throw any playoff hopes out the window. If anyone should be moved its Gionta. He's a UFA that probably won't be resigned we might as well get something for him.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
If you move Pleks you might as well tank the season and throw any playoff hopes out the window. If anyone should be moved its Gionta. He's a UFA that probably won't be resigned we might as well get something for him.

What playoff hopes?

This team lost to the Sens in 5 games last year and we've since added Murray, Briere & Parros

That's subtraction by addition if you ask me

I'd rather trade Gionta and our other deadweight before Pleks too but none of them are getting us anything to help us this year

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Either Gionta or Bourque, although Gio has a no trade clause he might waive it depending on the team that's interested.

I don't expect anything to happen until closer to the trade deadline when teams will be looking for "depth." Gionta has the Stanley Cup ring factor, leader, etc. going for him.

MB needs to do a San Jose and move on from some guys even if he thinks it might hurt the team's chances in the short term.

Bourque, Diaz and Gionta are 3 guys that MB should trade. In that order.

I don't see us moving any of our top 9 guys if we stay where we are right now. Makes no sense. Diaz is apparently negotiating a new contract, so I don't see him being moved. Bourque, I don't know why anybody would be interested in taking him in. Gionta I just don't see us moving him even if there's interest.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
We don't really have enough depth to make any big trades. I could see Plekanec get moved though, him or Gorges.

If the plan is to rebuild through the draft, then I wish we would move both these guys regardless of our standing, because rebuilding through the draft means being competitive in a few years, so move Plek, move Gio, move Gorges, move Markov. But I don't think Bergevin wants to do that. I think he's more of the status quo type.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary

Ahh for some reason I thought he meant in the offseason. Ya I don't see us making any big moves, Bergevin doesn't seem like the kind of guy to do that before the playoffs.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011

San Jose knew they weren't hurting the teams chances in the short term, they knew how bad Murray and Clowe were.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
If the plan is to rebuild through the draft, then I wish we would move both these guys regardless of our standing, because rebuilding through the draft means being competitive in a few years, so move Plek, move Gio, move Gorges, move Markov. But I don't think Bergevin wants to do that. I think he's more of the status quo type.

Unfortunately I think you're right, hope there's not a '25 years in no-mans land' thread because of it

drivefor25

Jan 10, 2009
I know he has some flaws but getting Vanek would be a top priority if I was G.M. We're extremely weak at right wing, and nothing in the minors that will change that, so this is a gaping hole we need to fill. I would trade Bourque, Beaulieu and either pick or Fucale for Vanek and then make signing him a priority. Vanek is the closest thing we would have to a game breaker and would fill a glaring weakness at right wing

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I know he has some flaws but getting Vanek would be a top priority if I was G.M. We're extremely weak at right wing, and nothing in the minors that will change that, so this is a gaping hole we need to fill. I would trade Bourque, Beaulieu and either pick or Fucale for Vanek and then make signing him a priority. Vanek is the closest thing we would have to a game breaker and would fill a glaring weakness at right wing

Problem is you'll be fighting 28 other GMs (assuming the Sabres are out of the pic)

Clarkson got 7 x $5.5MM someone will offer Vanek 7 yrs at $8MM if not more

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
MB will trade our Zamboni driver to Boston for their Zamboni driver who is younger and has a lower salary and was picked higher in the Zamboni draft. He has caracter.

You heard it here first.

MDN

Jun 6, 2013
Montreal
Why give up anything for him, when we can try during free agency. Giving up anything for him now would be useless since he's a free agent this summer, and might sign in Minny. If we are contenders, we should try, but we are not.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
If we're in the hunt the Habs will be buyers not sellers
This is a business, thus importance is as follows:
1)extra revenue
2)Making playoffs and getting extra revenue
3)Assets

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Bourque. We traded Cammalleri for him and we cant expect half the production so hes out. I dont think DD and Briere are tradable besides for 3rd round picks haha. I also feel Gionta might be showed the door soon

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
What playoff hopes?

This team lost to the Sens in 5 games last year and we've since added Murray, Briere & Parros

That's subtraction by addition if you ask me

I'd rather trade Gionta and our other deadweight before Pleks too but none of them are getting us anything to help us this year

Love this line. :laugh:

Who Bergevin might trade depends on a few things. First he will want to have a good idea whether or not any players in Hamilton can step in an fill a role. Then he will have to consider what holes on the big team can't be filled by prospects and try the trade route to see if there is a solution available. Finally, he will have to evaluate what the chances for playoff success are... not to decide whether to pick up a rental but to decide whether to trade a rental... like Gionta.

Given all of that, I think the best candidate for a trade on defense is Diaz and the best among the forwards is Gionta. Bigger trades involving players who have long term contracts like Bourque or Desharnais are more likely to occur in the off season.

It would be nice if guys like Briere and Bouillon had value, but they don't. Briere's no-trade contract, the fact that it is for another year and the price tag is $4 million makes him the least likely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad