Who do you consider Cup favorites now?

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
People selling the Islanders short. If any coach can dismantle Washington, it's probably the one who was inside their dressing room for the past 4 years. Unfortunately, the books are not selling them short. Atlantic Final might prove to be the kingmaker for a 4th consecutive year.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Same as Betonline

I love seeing Tampa at 12/1 and not further down. I know they're down 0-3 but they're also that same team from the reg season, so bumping them down to 50/1 or such would have seemed extreme.
In a similar vein - Pittsburgh also is above Carolina despite being down 0-3 vs 0-2. Same idea, and I like it.

Caps at #1 makes sense.

Blues at #2 is too much imo.

Having both Leafs and Boston at a similar 12/1 seems lazy.

edit - I didn't even notice NYI at #2 lol. I think that's a bit high for them...I like teams in the west better at least.

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
Bruins
Blues
Flames
Caps
Isles
jackets

If the isles get to the second round they could absolutely upset the caps, same goes for the jackets and bruins

Last edited:

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
It's actually not that much of a recency bias. The way they are shutting down the offensive juggaurnaut Tampa Bay can't be overlooked. They have an excellent line-up.

Looking at the Blue Jackets' most recent three games isn't much of a recency bias? Okay.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Really? After watching your own team be systematically dismantled by the Islanders, you don't give them a chance to beat the caps? Are you watching?
I think the isles are playing great. Same with Columbus. I think Washington is at the top of their game though, they can handle forecheck and physicality that Tampa and Pittsburgh as currently constructed can't.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
You're succumbing to recency bias.
No more so than the ones that declared Tampa/Boston/Caps/Pens to be the cup favorite based on their recent regular season performance. Nor if you only take past playoffs history performance as an indicator would it be be any more accurate than the recent performance by the CBJ.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
No more so than the ones that declared Tampa/Boston/Caps/Pens to be the cup favorite based on their recent regular season performance. Nor if you only take past playoffs history performance as an indicator would it be be any more accurate than the recent performance by the CBJ.

If you want to say that people reacting to the most recent 82-game regular season sample (prior to the start of the playoffs) are just as susceptible to recency bias as those reacting to the most recent three-game postseason sample (now), then nothing I can say will probably convince you to believe otherwise.

I'd recommend studying up on the actual concept, however. We could use more behavioral economics around here.

Although I'm not sure that people picking the Penguins as the Cup favorite (per your comment above) were doing so based upon the recent regular season performance. What leads you to believe that they were?

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
People selling the Islanders short. If any coach can dismantle Washington, it's probably the one who was inside their dressing room for the past 4 years. Unfortunately, the books are not selling them short. Atlantic Final might prove to be the kingmaker for a 4th consecutive year.

The only chance the Isles have is Carolina taking Washington deep to 6 or 7 and or the Caps tiring out from having played 102 games just a year ago. There's a tendency for cup winners to run out of steam regardless the next postseason but tiring them out in round 1 is a good start.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
If you want to say that people reacting to the most recent 82-game regular season sample (prior to the start of the playoffs) are just as susceptible to recency bias as those reacting to the most recent three-game postseason sample (now), then nothing I can say will probably convince you to believe otherwise.

I'd recommend studying up on the actual concept, however. We could use more behavioral economics around here.

Although I'm not sure that people picking the Penguins as the Cup favorite (per your comment above) were doing so based upon the recent regular season performance. What leads you to believe that they were?
Hypothetical situation-

TBL loses next game
Person 1- "Well TBL won't win the cup this year"

Person 2- "Recency bias"

P1- "No, it's literally impossible because they are now out of the playo-"

P2- "RECENY BIAS"

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Hypothetical situation-

TBL loses next game
Person 1- "Well TBL won't win the cup this year"

Person 2- "Recency bias"

P1- "No, it's literally impossible because they are now out of the playo-"

P2- "RECENY BIAS"

Sigh. Nope. Try again.

Among the things I'm not suggesting is that Tampa is still a Cup favorite.

Recency bias isn't a particularly difficult concept, even when you put words in my mouth "hypothetically".

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Sigh. Nope. Try again.

Among the things I'm not suggesting is that Tampa is still a Cup favorite.

This isn't a particularly difficult concept, even when you put words in my mouth "hypothetically".

So what are you saying? An entire regular season is too long for recency bias, but getting swept is too short, but 3 hockey games is the perfect size to fall within the definition of "recency bias?"

Not putting words in your mouth, legitimately asking what your are saying.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
I love seeing Tampa at 12/1 and not further down. I know they're down 0-3 but they're also that same team from the reg season, so bumping them down to 50/1 or such would have seemed extreme.
In a similar vein - Pittsburgh also is above Carolina despite being down 0-3 vs 0-2. Same idea, and I like it.

Caps at #1 makes sense.

edit - I didn't even notice NYI at #2 lol. I think that's a bit high for them...I like teams in the west better at least.

Lines are from today so the NYI number is taking into account that they’re up 3-0 right now while every West matchup is split. They’ll probably slide down a little relative to the other teams once the 2R starts (assuming they close out the pens).
Same with CBJ. Whoever wins the BOS/TOR will be the favorites with the Caps (again assuming they advance) from the East at the start of the next round.

Reactions: bobholly39

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

Caps at #1 makes sense.

don't confuse betting odds with winning odds.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Reactions: BobRouse

Mar 26, 2010
Columbus looks like they mean business.

Another dark horse is NYI.

Ad

Upcoming events