Speculation: Who do we trade this off-season?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Jones was #29 + Kuraly (5th rounder), versus #30 + 2nd. I like our deal a lot better - was never high on Kuraly.

Both deals are bad value deals to me but to be fair, the difference can be seen in the experience the goalies had at the time. Andersen had more proven value than Jones which is likely why Toronto was willing to pay more. However, Toronto is proving that their management team isn't learning their lesson about trading for goalies. lol

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I still say I will be at least mildly surprised if Wingels is still on the team after the draft. I just don't see we have ROOM for him, if we're expecting one or more of the prospect forwards to make the team. Trade him and Reimer's rights to Calgary for a 2nd and 5th or something.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Both deals are bad value deals to me but to be fair, the difference can be seen in the experience the goalies had at the time. Andersen had more proven value than Jones which is likely why Toronto was willing to pay more. However, Toronto is proving that their management team isn't learning their lesson about trading for goalies. lol

Bad value deals for whom?

I still say I will be at least mildly surprised if Wingels is still on the team after the draft. I just don't see we have ROOM for him, if we're expecting one or more of the prospect forwards to make the team. Trade him and Reimer's rights to Calgary for a 2nd and 5th or something.

I agree. Well at the start of the season anyway. But I don't think its as much as space as a combination of space and the cap hit to go with it. Plus he has value outside of the team but players like Nieto really don't.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Bad value deals for whom?

I agree. Well at the start of the season anyway. But I don't think its as much as space as a combination of space and the cap hit to go with it. Plus he has value outside of the team but players like Nieto really don't.

Harsh critique of Nieto as a person. I know he's not a good rapper but still.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Harsh critique of Nieto as a person. I know he's not a good rapper but still.

Ha ha.

I think one of Nieto and Wingels does need to be moved if we want to improve the team. Both to create a roster spot and also clear cap space. I think Wingels is more likely to be moved because he is valued as an agitator across the league. Plus he has had 2 seasons of 30+ points which shows that he does have a little bit of scoring touch.

Nieto is excellent defensively but I don't think he is ever going to be an offensive weapon. He will be a decent bottom-6 player and a PK'er. However, that will not return as much in a trade.

If they both were making the same amount of money, I would definitely keep Wingels. But since I am hoping that DW makes a move this off-season to add some more scoring to this team, I expect Wingels would be the best way to clear cap space. Especially with his contract running out next year, he will not be a big concern for the team that picks him up for the expansion draft.

For Toronto and for San Jose but I'm a minority opinion on that front.

Yah. I did not bash that trade when it was made and it is really impossible to do so anymore. It could understand that you did not like the trade at the time it was made considering we may have been picking top-10 again but I don't get how anyone cannot like it now. Jones is a stud.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
At the time I would have projected the pick to be ~18th overall. You can't judge the trade from DW's perspective as "29th overall + Kuraly" (although I also think Kuraly is a nothing asset).

Fair point, but we have the benefit of additional definitive information right now to do an apples to apples. Jones was a great pick-up for the Sharks, and he looks a whole lot better going for the 29th overall versus the 18th....

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
With the expansion draft rules being made official, I think we are in good shape for it.

We could protect
Fs: Thornton, Couture, Pavelski, Marleau, Ward, Tierney, Hertl
Most notable exempts: Goldobin, Meier, Donskoi
Most notable exposed: Wingels, Nieto, Karlsson

D: Vlasic, Braun, Burns
Most notable exempts: Ryan, Heed, Roy
Most notable exposed: Dillon, Mueller, Martin

G: Jones
Most notable exposed: literally no one. We need to resign Dell or Grosenick so we can expose them.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
Ha ha.

Nieto is excellent defensively but I don't think he is ever going to be an offensive weapon. He will be a decent bottom-6 player and a PK'er. However, that will not return as much in a trade.

I'm still not sure why people don't see Nieto as a solid asset for a team to have. He will never be an offensive dynamo, but he does some really good things.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'm still not sure why people don't see Nieto as a solid asset for a team to have. He will never be an offensive dynamo, but he does some really good things.

So does Wingels. The point I am trying to make is that if salary of the two players was equal, I would take Wingels over Nieto. Wingels is an excellent agitator who is good defensively and has shown more on offense than Nieto has.

Nieto is a good asset but lets not pretend that he has that much value in a trade.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
So does Wingels. The point I am trying to make is that if salary of the two players was equal, I would take Wingels over Nieto. Wingels is an excellent agitator who is good defensively and has shown more on offense than Nieto has.

Nieto is a good asset but lets not pretend that he has that much value in a trade.

I'm pretty pessimistic about Wingels regaining his form. It's been like two years since he was a good player.

GodHatesTheSharks

Nov 20, 2010
I'd love to trade for Andrew Shaw. Sure the guy is a ****** bag, but he does a great job getting under people's skin. If the Sharks are going to trade Wingels, then we're going to need a forward who physical presence to the team.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'd love to trade for Andrew Shaw. Sure the guy is a ****** bag, but he does a great job getting under people's skin. If the Sharks are going to trade Wingels, then we're going to need a forward who physical presence to the team.

I was thinking the same. Shaw is a ****** bag for sure. But he is a skilled one. I think he would be a great fit on the 3rd line.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Wasn't it just two seasons ago when he was the leading scorer after like the first 10 games? He's pretty much disappeared since then...:shakehead

Yea, it was pretty much after those first 20 really good games, he went into a steep decline with very short periods of good play here and there.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF

For sure Nieto is useful but he is kind of a dime a dozen player and we have younger guys that are pushing for spots but I would trade Wingels before Nieto. I think people forget how promising Nieto was after his rookie season.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
For sure Nieto is useful but he is kind of a dime a dozen player and we have younger guys that are pushing for spots but I would trade Wingels before Nieto. I think people forget how promising Nieto was after his rookie season.

Basically, I'm ready to weed out Wingels and willing to wait for Nieto to be pushed out of the lineup.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Well, Nieto has been hyped up since he was drafted. Everyone thought he had second-line potential. Wingels was more of a dark horse; nobody really knew him until he came to SJ, and it was a while before people thought he was anything more than a fourth liner.

Nieto is probably never going to be special offensively, but he is great defensively and is excellent on the PK. His speed is useful everywhere.

Wingels brings that physical element, is solid defensively and has shown he can be productive offensively. But his playoff record is awful. At what point do you stop saying he is suffering from bad luck and start admitting he isn't a playoff player?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad