Speculation: Who do we trade this off-season?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
More likely:

Wingels: Hard hitting pest who has scored 30+ points twice.
Dillon: Despite being exposed in the Finals he is young and signed to a decent contract.
Reimer: Expect Flames and Oilers are two teams that could be interested in his rights.
Polak: Would be harder to trade his rights but maybe some team is interested in his rights for a lower round pick.

Less likely:
Nieto: More valuable to our team then others but could bring a decent return.
Tierney: If they want to keep Spaling as #4C and move Hertl to #3C, he could get us some really good return.
Karlsson: Cheap contract. Still an RFA after next year and had a decent finals.
Others: Any prospect not named Roy, Meier, Goldobin.

In the SC finals, our forward depth and blue-line was exposed. Doug knows what to fix. If Goldobin and Meier are both NHL ready, I really think we are just a top-4 LHD away from another good run. I don't expect Doug to trade major assets away but I totally see him moving futures + B-prospects for helping us immediately.

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
I don't think Dillon will be traded as the Sharks want a big physical Dman when they are in the Pacific. Dillon can still improve.

Wingels seems to be most likely to be traded. I think someone else as well to get a player DW has targeted.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Wingels I expect to be moved just based on his cap hit. Reimer probably won't go to Edmonton. They have Talbot and he was a good pickup for them but he may be dealt to Calgary or Carolina for a 6th or something for his rights. I don't expect anything for Polak's rights. I don't think they have anyone ready to move on Dillon yet. Mueller looked better as he finished the season in the AHL but I don't think it was good enough to justify opening a spot for him especially if they're going with DeMelo or Heed on the right.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If they do go the Dillon-DeMelo/Heed route, I will like the potential rental options a lot better next season with the likes of Wisniewski, Wideman, Shattenkirk, and even Franson over Polak and Russell pretty much being the only options.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I am pretty sure we part with one of Wingels or Nieto as well, probably Wingels due to age and cap hit. I would be shocked if Karlsson were traded after the finals he had, and I would be surprised if we traded both Wingels and Nieto. I could also see Dillon go if the organization thinks they have a better option for the 3rd pairing LD slot. No one internally is really ready, except maybe Tennyson who we'd have to re-sign, so this would mean we'd have to acquire someone in free agency or via a trade.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
No need to trade anyone unless Hertl signs a long-term deal that requires a player to be traded. In that case, Wingels may be the odd man out given his cap hit.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Why? Fans always want to trade but the team might feel differently. I'd definitely punt Nieto but odds are it won't happen.

We need upgrade(s) to add depth scoring. I doubt DW assumes that both Meier and Goldobin are here to stay at the NHL level. I would expect that trading one of those players (primarily Wingels) clears cap space and a roster spot to acquire a more proven player.

I would be really surprised if DW makes no additions to the roster this off-season. And to make these additions, he will need to clear cap space and make space on the roster.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
I don't think we're going to be very active this offseason. At most maybe a trade to move up in the draft if DW likes somebody who has fallen. But other than that I don't see too much happening. As has already been said on here, only player I think has a decent chance of being traded is Wingels.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
No need to trade anyone unless Hertl signs a long-term deal that requires a player to be traded. In that case, Wingels may be the odd man out given his cap hit.

I wouldn't say it's a need so much but I think it would be best for the team and for Wingels to trade him. Wingels deserves a better opportunity than what he'll get here to return to the form that got him the contract he is on. Even if we did what GP would prefer and traded Nieto, he still wouldn't get that shot here. Nieto I can take or leave simply because he's a cheap option that's still young. And I'm pretty sure they know they need to open something up for at least one of Goldobin or Meier and chances are that pushes certain people down the lineup like a Karlsson which pushes what we see as 4th liners now possibly out of the lineup.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Why? Fans always want to trade but the team might feel differently. I'd definitely punt Nieto but odds are it won't happen.

Why? Because we have a huge glut of wingers pushing for playing time in the NHL, that's why. Goldobin, Meier, and Sorensen just to name 3, leaving aside people like Carpenter or the potential for other rookies like Labanc or Chartier to force their way on the team. (Unlikely, but you never know.) Looking at all of our bottom 6 wingers, who are the ones that are most expendable?

Marleau? (if you count him there) Theoretically, sure, but he's not going anywhere. DW would never ask him to waive on the last year of his deal after just going to a SCF. So, Marleau would have to ask out, and I highly doubt HE does so after a year under DeBoer and finally a trip to the finals.

Karlsson? Not a chance in hell after his performance in the finals. He was one of our best forwards. He's not going anywhere.

Ward? Also not a chance in hell, for much the same reasons as Karlsson.

Nieto? Possible, but he's a) still really young, b) still cheap, c) still has more potential to grow as a player. Higher value to us than to other teams. Speed would be hard to replace.

Wingels? Highest likelihood. a) Late 20s, b) Seems to be regressing, c) Wasn't all that good in the Finals, and d) Is NOT cheap for his role. Has value to other teams, given his proven skills as a pest. Nevertheless, what he brings us can be replaced relatively easily.

Spaling and Zubrus are both FAs, so not counting them. (though I've said before I half expect Spaling to be re-signed as our #4C, unless the org REALLY thinks Carpenter can handle the job, and we have someone who could step in for Carpenter if there's an injury.)

End decision? Wingels has the best combination of redundant position, replaceable skill set, age, and salary in all of our candidates to be traded. As a result, I expect him to be gone, probably by the draft.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
I wouldn't say it's a need so much but I think it would be best for the team and for Wingels to trade him. Wingels deserves a better opportunity than what he'll get here to return to the form that got him the contract he is on. Even if we did what GP would prefer and traded Nieto, he still wouldn't get that shot here. Nieto I can take or leave simply because he's a cheap option that's still young. And I'm pretty sure they know they need to open something up for at least one of Goldobin or Meier and chances are that pushes certain people down the lineup like a Karlsson which pushes what we see as 4th liners now possibly out of the lineup.

Trading Nieto or Wingels has to hinge on the front office and coaching staff believing that Goldobin and/or Meier are ready for NHL minutes. From what I've read and heard it sounds like they probably are. But it would be tough to off load a Wingels or Nieto to make room for the younger guys if they aren't ready yet.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area

Maybe I'm selfish but if there is no need to trade Wingels, then why do so. I'd rather go into the season with potentially 13 or 15 fwds keeping for the 12 spots.

I get that Wingels should be given a chance but such is the way it is. He's the one who hasn't stepped up for 2 seasons now, especially in the past 2 playoff runs.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Trading Nieto or Wingels has to hinge on the front office and coaching staff believing that Goldobin and/or Meier are ready for NHL minutes. From what I've read and heard it sounds like they probably are. But it would be tough to off load a Wingels or Nieto to make room for the younger guys if they aren't ready yet.

I don't think it does. Nieto and Wingels are 4th liners right now on this team. Goldobin and Meier don't play here unless they're playing in the top 9. The guy that gets impacted if one of them makes the team is Karlsson. He's very likely to be the guy pushed down to the 4th line and move someone out of the lineup. Guys like Nieto and Wingels both deserve a shot elsewhere on someone's 3rd line. Both guys are perfectly capable if given the opportunity. They're just not going to get it here.

So if neither of Goldobin or Meier make it on the top nine and get sent down to the AHL, Karlsson moves up and they bring someone in for the 4th line whether it's someone like Goodrow, Sorensen, Morin, Carpenter, or whoever. In Wingels' case, I just don't see how he or the team would like him playing the 4th line at best with that cap hit. Wingels is better than that and the team would be wise to let him go elsewhere to earn his next contract.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Maybe I'm selfish but if there is no need to trade Wingels, then why do so. I'd rather go into the season with potentially 13 or 15 fwds keeping for the 12 spots.

I get that Wingels should be given a chance but such is the way it is. He's the one who hasn't stepped up for 2 seasons now, especially in the past 2 playoff runs.

I think there is a need when it comes to giving players opportunities to compete for a spot. We're going to go into this season with 13 or 15 forwards for 12 spots whether one, both, or neither of Nieto or Wingels are dealt. This team has a lot of internal depth to account for up front.

If Wingels hasn't stepped up for two seasons now (not something I really agree with) then moving him isn't an issue when you have so many guys that can take his spot at a fraction of the cost while doing Wingels a solid.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
I don't think it does. Nieto and Wingels are 4th liners right now on this team. Goldobin and Meier don't play here unless they're playing in the top 9. The guy that gets impacted if one of them makes the team is Karlsson. He's very likely to be the guy pushed down to the 4th line and move someone out of the lineup. Guys like Nieto and Wingels both deserve a shot elsewhere on someone's 3rd line. Both guys are perfectly capable if given the opportunity. They're just not going to get it here.

So if neither of Goldobin or Meier make it on the top nine and get sent down to the AHL, Karlsson moves up and they bring someone in for the 4th line whether it's someone like Goodrow, Sorensen, Morin, Carpenter, or whoever. In Wingels' case, I just don't see how he or the team would like him playing the 4th line at best with that cap hit. Wingels is better than that and the team would be wise to let him go elsewhere to earn his next contract.

I suppose that's true. Wingels in particular can't be a fourth liner with his cap hit. But keeping Nieto on the 4th wouldn't bother me. Maybe he deserves better, but we clearly need some more depth and having a guy like Nieto on the 4th line would do that.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area

One issue to consider in having 13-15 forwards for 12 spots is waiver eligibility. Basically all of the players we had rotating into those slots at the end of the season have used up all their waiver eligibility. So, this greatly complicates doing the kind of roster rotation you seem to be suggesting. As best I can tell, none of Wingels, Nieto and Karlsson have any waiver eligibility remaining, so if they start the season in the NHL, they're staying there, which starts to make it very difficult to fit in our potential rookies unless we trade someone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad