Speculation: Who do we trade this off-season?

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
July 1 is the earliest but at this point, the Sharks can't make an offer sheet in the 1.8 to 3.7 mil range nor the 5.6-9.4 mil range unless they reacquire their second round pick next year. For what the Sharks could legitimately offer, the Ducks would probably match.

Do you have the RFA draft comp chart handy? I haven't googled around for it.

We should OS Lindholm at the high end of the 1st and 3rd just to mess with the Ducks' budget.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I agree - We'd "Hjalmarsson" Lindholm them to get Rakell... or vice versa.

If they attempt to Hjalmarsson Lindholm to a point where they need to move someone like Rakell, we're still not getting either. At best, they will trade one elsewhere. That's obviously a good result as well but I don't think it's really worth the effort. Rakell is a good young player but not really one we need. Now, I'd be all over Lindholm but I'm probably more inclined to try and land any of their young d-men that may be available whether it's Lindholm, Fowler, Despres, or whoever because they got more pushing from underneath as well.

Get rid of Marleau. Nowhere near worth what they're paying for him.

Not really entirely their call. If Marleau wants to stay, he's going to stay. They're not going to buy him out and he's still an extremely useful player that will probably take less to re-sign.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
If they attempt to Hjalmarsson Lindholm to a point where they need to move someone like Rakell, we're still not getting either. At best, they will trade one elsewhere. That's obviously a good result as well but I don't think it's really worth the effort. Rakell is a good young player but not really one we need. Now, I'd be all over Lindholm but I'm probably more inclined to try and land any of their young d-men that may be available whether it's Lindholm, Fowler, Despres, or whoever because they got more pushing from underneath as well.

If the Ducks continue to operate on their own budget, not up to the Cap, they are in massive trouble.

They're at $57+M now without re-signing Lindholm, Rakell, Perron, Andersen. Plus a 4th line and 13th fwd. They are going to be doing some major dumping.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If the Ducks continue to operate on their own budget, not up to the Cap, they are in massive trouble.

They're at $57+M now without re-signing Lindholm, Rakell, Perron, Andersen. Plus a 4th line and 13th fwd. They are going to be doing some major dumping.

I don't see it as massive trouble but I do see a good amount of movement with all that the Ducks have in youth on the blue line. If they can find a way to move both of Bieksa and Stoner, they will be in a good position. I still think they end up moving a young blue liner just because they have so many between Lindholm, Vatanen, Fowler, Despres, Theodore, Manson, and Montour that may all play in the NHL next year but I don't see it impacting their ability to re-sign Lindholm and Rakell. But Bieksa and Stoner are definitely going to be difficult to trade. But they may get both out if they entice a team with something else and can find a way to convince Bieksa to get out. lol

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

They're probably just gonna trade Andersen's rights so about $15m to sign those three other guys which is most likely doable.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
They're probably just gonna trade Andersen's rights so about $15m to sign those three other guys which is most likely doable.

They haven't gone up to the cap before and that was my point. If they do, then yes, not a big issue for them. They have $15M to work with.

Thought I read that they've been trying to stay around $62-63M. THAT will make things tough. Maybe they get a taker for Stoner, doubt anyone would take Bieksa.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
When can we offer sheet Lindholm and/or Rakell

There's nothing the Ducks wouldn't match. I'd kill for Rakell though, I'm a stupidly big fan of him. That said, the Ducks lack one thing the most, and that's young skilled cheap forwards, so I don't see them giving up Rakell without a helluva fight.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They haven't gone up to the cap before and that was my point. If they do, then yes, not a big issue for them. They have $15M to work with.

Thought I read that they've been trying to stay around $62-63M. THAT will make things tough. Maybe they get a taker for Stoner, doubt anyone would take Bieksa.

It may be tough but it's doable. If they're able to attach Stoner with one of their goalies to Toronto for the Caps 2nd, that gives them a lot more flexibility. At that point, they're going to have to figure out what's best for their blue line going forward. Even if they manage to move Bieksa, I think they will have to move a young gun on the blue line and bring in a veteran. It's partly why I expect them to just deal with Bieksa's contract because his experience could be useful to mentor all these young players. The Bieksa thing has a lot of issues attached to it. His old contract and new contract have clauses involved. The CBA made it to where you can apply a newly signed but not yet started contract's clause start before said contract started. And how all that plays into whether a new team can choose not to honor that clause is unknown. However, Bieksa is tradeable if the Ducks retain salary AND the new team is not bound by his NMC. A 2 mil Bieksa on someone's third pairing isn't a bad option.

I'm under the assumption that the Ducks will have about 64 mil to play with since that's what they spent last year. So if they do the goalie+Stoner deal and I think popular opinion is that Fowler may go then they should have enough to get what they need to fill out the roster at their budget.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
At least we paid the least for Jones in the long run when you look at the RFA goalies that were traded lately.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Based on all the action going on and the value that Vesey returned, I bet Reimer gets something back for sure. Plus, I bet someone gives us something for Polak as well.

In DW I trust!!

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Damn Lou is really banking on Andersen with a 5 year, 5.5 mil AAV. Not surprised with buying that many UFA years but that's a decent gamble on someone like Andersen. He's had one year where he was legitimately the starter. Ducks did well to move him for what they did if that was what he was asking for because they can't afford that on a budget.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I remember hearing about a month ago that it was just going to be NMCs only. I don't think anything's changed since then.

What if the trade happens, and the Rangers take back some of Nash's salary. If he gets selected in the expansion draft, does the expansion team only pick up the Sharks' portion or both?

I don't see this trade happening, but it is intriguing because NYR was on the three team list that Marleau was willing to accept a trade to, according to several NHL writers.

If it does happen, it would have to include Marleau because big salary will need to be moved unless there is a significant lift in the cap.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What if the trade happens, and the Rangers take back some of Nash's salary. If he gets selected in the expansion draft, does the expansion team only pick up the Sharks' portion or both?

I don't see this trade happening, but it is intriguing because NYR was on the three team list that Marleau was willing to accept a trade to, according to several NHL writers.

If it does happen, it would have to include Marleau because big salary will need to be moved unless there is a significant lift in the cap.

They would take on the Sharks' portion of it. Nash is only acquirable if Marleau is going the other way or New York retains half. Dillon, Wingels, and a pick for Nash at 50% is doable even though it is not one I'd make. Marleau is better for this team right now than Nash is unless Nash is coming to this team at a huge discount.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Jones was #29 + Kuraly (5th rounder), versus #30 + 2nd. I like our deal a lot better - was never high on Kuraly.

At the time I would have projected the pick to be ~18th overall. You can't judge the trade from DW's perspective as "29th overall + Kuraly" (although I also think Kuraly is a nothing asset).

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
At the time I would have projected the pick to be ~18th overall. You can't judge the trade from DW's perspective as "29th overall + Kuraly" (although I also think Kuraly is a nothing asset).

We all knew it was gonna be 29th or 30th. I mean hockeyball was screaming they were going to the finals for months. Doug obviously knew it too. Because of Jones. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad