Proposal: Who do we move Morgan Rielly for?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Paying Rielly $7m per would not be nearly as bad as paying Marner $10.5m per. Or paying a #2C who’s never win anything in his life $11m per.

PK Subban $9m
Ekman-Larsson $8.25M
Jake Trouba $8m
Jerry Spurgeon $7.775m
Ryan Suter $7.5m
Marc Vlasic $7m

Let me know who from that list you’d prefer over Rielly as the Leafs #1D.

He’s likely just starting his decline now, but Ryan Suter is probably better than Rielly right now.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Riley needs to go. Sandin would take his job. He’s a giveaway machine,not physical and can’t play a 2 on 1 at this age. Really. Anyone defending the guy can’t even say he skates elite anymore. Get rid of him for some cap space and load up the draft picks and prospects.

Sandin replaces him easily. Time for him to go.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Did you not watch the playoffs or any other long stretch of Sandin's NHL career? Sandin is not even ready to play a sheltered bottom pairing role full time, never mind take over a #1 role.

Actually i was so disgusted with these losers after game 5 I didn’t pay much attention. Bud Morgan Rielly can’t defend a 2 on 1 yet. You think about that for a minute.

Sandin missed a bunch of time. He’s going to be player if you like it or not because nobody agrees with that kind of harsh out of left field statement from you I wouldn’t think.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Actually i was so disgusted with these losers after game 5 I didn’t pay much attention. Bud Morgan Rielly can’t defend a 2 on 1 yet. You think about that for a minute.

Sandin missed a bunch of time. He’s going to be player if you like it or not because nobody agrees with that kind of harsh out of left field statement from you I wouldn’t think.

Sandin will be a player... Eventually. There is also a big difference between being a player and being Rielly. Rielly is not easily replaceable.

Sandin had more than enough time to get up to speed to the point where he was trusted in the playoff lineup. If he wasn't up to speed, he wouldn't be playing... Especially when we had Dermott and Hutton in the wings. He was just over his head and it was clear that he needed more time in the AHL to develop properly. You could see it in every game he's played, not just the games you missed.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Riley needs to go. Sandin would take his job. He’s a giveaway machine,not physical and can’t play a 2 on 1 at this age. Really. Anyone defending the guy can’t even say he skates elite anymore. Get rid of him for some cap space and load up the draft picks and prospects.

Replaces him easily? I'm not a fan of Rielly but if you think Sandin easily replaces him I've got a few bridges to sell you.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

Sandin was getting burned left and right in the Montreal series. He was a defensive liability out there and his slow footspeed was exposed.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Paying Rielly $7m per would not be nearly as bad as paying Marner $10.5m per. Or paying a #2C who’s never win anything in his life $11m per.

PK Subban $9m
Ekman-Larsson $8.25M
Jake Trouba $8m
Jerry Spurgeon $7.775m
Ryan Suter $7.5m
Marc Vlasic $7m

Let me know who from that list you’d prefer over Rielly as the Leafs #1D.

Jared Spurgeon.

More relevantly, I'd take Dougie Hamilton over him and that may be an option.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Saying Reilly was our best defenseman is like someone being the tallest guy on a dwarf basketball team or the smartest kid on the short bus , why do people assume we will take a top dollar guy over a mid price over producer ? I would take a Jakob Chychrun at 4.6 for 4 more years in a heartbeat or maybe Whitecloud or Shea Theodore , these guys are young 2 of them are locked in the other is RFA , these are the type of players we should be targeting .

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Saying Reilly was our best defenseman is like someone being the tallest guy on a dwarf basketball team or the smartest kid on the short bus , why do people assume we will take a top dollar guy over a mid price over producer ? I would take a Jakob Chychrun at 4.6 for 4 more years in a heartbeat or maybe Whitecloud or Shea Theodore , these guys are young 2 of them are locked in the other is RFA , these are the type of players we should be targeting .

For some reason people here only think top dollar D or forwards are the way to go. The fact that some of our best performances have come from middle class players (Brodie, Muzzin) escapes them. They want a Dougie instead of a Chychrun....which is why we will flounder. We could never have a D like Carolina...not sexy enough for the fans here.

Reactions: cannucky

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I’m reading your post like you’re saying Sandin can be a giveaway machine that can’t defend 2 on 1’s or skate elite. Hoping Sandin grows up to be a gamer but he’s not that good right now…

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
N
For some reason people here only think top dollar D or forwards are the way to go. The fact that some of our best performances have come from middle class players (Brodie, Muzzin) escapes them. They want a Dougie instead of a Chychrun....which is why we will flounder. We could never have a D like Carolina...not sexy enough for the fans here.
Nah we suck at drafting top dmen ... and goalies .... and forwards outside the first two rounds.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Chychrun would be a great addition. Not sure we really have what Arizona would be looking for however. We’d probably have to start with Robertson.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Chychrun would be a great addition. Not sure we really have what Arizona would be looking for however. We’d probably have to start with Robertson.

If they asked for Robertson and Sandin for Chychrun you'd probably be okay with it.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
If they asked for Robertson and Sandin for Chychrun you'd probably be okay with it.
For sure. I would be all over a Chychrun trade! I think he's very underrated due to where he plays. He's great in both ends of the ice. 18 gols and 41 points in 56 games! I think that the Coyotes would be a bit crazy to trade him, but if they want to, I'd definitely pay the appropriate price for him.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I think Rielly is a guy we need to retain. But Dubas better make a decision on him one way or the other this summer. If we don't extend him before the season starts, he's got to be dealt. He's too important of an asset to bleed off as an "own rental."
I predict own rental

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
How do the Leafs qualify for the 2021-22 playoffs without Rielly or using Rielly to acquire serviceable NHL players? This won't be another Kapanen deal. There won't be any futures this time around if he's dealt. Expect a Kadri type of deal: Rielly for a lesser replacement plus some cap friendly rental body probably a forward, maybe a goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad