Who deserves a shot at coaching an NHL team?

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Brad Shaw?

I was hoping that the Sens interviewed him again when Boucher was fired (was initially in the running before losing to Boucher). He seems like a good one to me, and hopefully he gets his chance some day.

But for whatever reason the Sens chose not to even interview him this time around...If I had a guess, the coaching tree that hes from would suggest that hes more of a defensive, lean on your veterans kind of guy,rather than an expert at developing raw kids.

Having said that it felt like Dorion definitely had his heart set on DJ Smith from day one, and he got his guy. And after now seeing him slowly transform the Sens into a physically punishing and hardworking team (if nothing else), I believe it was the right hire for a team that will be introducing multiple kids into the roster each year for the next 3-4 years.

Reactions: Blueston

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Mike Velluci, many of us on the Canes board wanted him when Peters left. I think he will get his shot eventually, was actually thinking he'd be on Steve Yzermans radar as an eventual replacement to Blashill but the Penguins organization got to him first.

Jeff Daniels and Kirk Muller are interesting options as per OP mentioned. Daniels did a decent job building a mountain out of a mole hill with the fringe NHL-lite talent he had with the Checkers. Muller was kind of a right-coach, wrong-time hire. Not even Scotty Bowman was pulling the mess that was the 2013-ish Canes out of the doldrums.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Jukka Jalonen or Rikard Grönborg, we live in year 2019 and European coaches cannot be hired to the NHL due to some old boys' club mentality.

Both of these could make it.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I prefer Lane Lambert stay as long as possible as Trotz' right hand man, but I think he did get some consideration for a HC job this past summer. He's been learning from a master for a while and is generally well regarded. I think he could get a chance soon and would do well.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I'm surprised I haven't seen Nicholas Lidstrom's name mentioned. I know a few Wings fans were talking about him at one time.

Have you heard his Spittin Chiclets interview? Forget exactly what he said, but didn't seem like it was on his radar. I'm not actually sure his mind would translate to coaching, he might be like Gretzky, but goddamn would I be interested if he was.

Reactions: mikeyfan

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Jukka Jalonen or Rikard Grönborg, we live in year 2019 and European coaches cannot be hired to the NHL due to some old boys' club mentality.

While it would be nice to see those guys given a shot, they don't have much experience coaching teams on the smaller ice, and (i'd imagine) much knowledge of the league and most players.

Not only is the language not completely fluent, but you're also taking the risk of taking these coaches to school rather than decisively leading the team. So it's understandable why you'd prefer guys with track records and built relationships. Coaching is the last position where you as a GM want to be taking flyers, it's one of your most important moves.

If anyone would take a chance it probably has to be a non-playoff team that's okay with tanking for a season if things go south.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
While it would be nice to see those guys given a shot, they don't have much experience coaching teams on the smaller ice, and (i'd imagine) much knowledge of the league and most players.

Not only is the language not completely fluent, but you're also taking the risk of taking these coaches to school rather than decisively leading the team. So it's understandable why you'd prefer guys with track records and built relationships. Coaching is the last position where you as a GM want to be taking flyers, it's one of your most important moves.

If anyone would take a chance it probably has to be a non-playoff team that's okay with tanking for a season if things go south.
Retreads are proving they can lose anywhere. You have to infuse new blood sometime, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but the bottom line is can they communicate with the majority of your team?

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Patrick Fischer.

Has just re-signed with the national team but who knows if he'd be willing to risk it, given the right offer.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Mark Crawford
Crawford isn't a terrible coach. I'm actually a bit surprised he hasn't been given many NHL cracks recently.

He's always worked well with top-heavy rosters, and manages to get career years out of all of his top forwards everywhere he goes.

Bob Hartley is another.
Managed to claw Atlanta into a winning record, and then their only playoff appearance in their history.
Managed to get Calgary their only playoff win since the lockout.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Have you heard his Spittin Chiclets interview? Forget exactly what he said, but didn't seem like it was on his radar. I'm not actually sure his mind would translate to coaching, he might be like Gretzky, but goddamn would I be interested if he was.

I don't know about mind, but what about the right temperament. Coaches are pretty grumpy, or should at least be able to put on a grumpy face, and Nick is so nice all the time. Can he even yell, is the question.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'd love to see Steve Ott coach an NHL team. Don't really know what kind of system is his style, but heard he's one of the best assistants in the league.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Willie Desjardins. Yep, if your team needs that kick start into a high-ocane rebuild, he's your guy.

I was shocked LA pulled that off last year, lol. But yet, they're not that much better this season, so now I'm not sure if that was legit intentional!

Okay to be on topic, I'll go with Scott Stevens.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad