Who deserves a shot at coaching an NHL team?

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Easy enough question, Who do you think should be given a shot at coaching an NHL team? It may be a former coach who didn't fair well his first time out like Kirk Mueller or a new coach like a Jeff Daniels.

I chose Jeff Daniels because he did well in the AHL with the Checkers and has done well as an assistant with the Hurricanes. New blood may be better with a young team than old retreads.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
upload_2019-11-6_15-20-41.png

MichaelK

Mar 13, 2004
Surprised nobody has hired Sheldon Keefe yet. The guy just wins at every level and has proven he can develop NHL talent.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
Whatever happened to Randy Cunneyworth after his fiasco with the Habs? I always felt bad for the guy and felt he probably regretted taking that job as he, I think, was considered to be a good up and coming coach. He never really had a chance in Montreal.

Reactions: NyQuil

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Gulutzan, 4 seasons as a head coach and has a positive record. I was kinda surprised when he didn’t get hired somewhere after he got canned by the flames, but he’s been good with the oilers.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Whatever happened to Randy Cunneyworth after his fiasco with the Habs? I always felt bad for the guy and felt he probably regretted taking that job as he, I think, was considered to be a good up and coming coach. He never really had a chance in Montreal.

he became a scout for Buffalo but got fired 2 years ago, dunno after that

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Aside from the usual suspects like Sheldon Keefe, there are a couple of pretty good coaches in the AHL or assistant coaches in the NHL that could fill head coaching positions eventually. I'm talking about guys like Ducharme, Groulx, Vincent, McAmbrigde, Van Ryn, and others.

Reactions: mikeyfan

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Benoit Groulx. He'd be the first call i'd make if i were a GM looking for a guy to promote as a rookie coach. He gets wins, works with players and develops talent, has a pretty modern approach to the game. Surprised he hasn't been given a look somewhere yet, actually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad