Who are the worst people in Hockey history?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
A lot of names can roll off of our tongues here. Alan Eagleson, Bob Goodenow and Harold Ballard are shoo-ins for this list. Others might have Bettman here. David Frost or Mike Danton as well. But who are players/executives that have been bad for the game?

Alexei Yashin held out a million times and was worth a fraction of what he thought he deserved, some people would think that's bad. Maybe Saskin is on this list. But what people have been bad for the game?

Transported Upstater

Yashin is Mother Teresa compared to some who should be on this list, and some who have already been mentioned.

Wetcoaster

A lot of names can roll off of our tongues here. Alan Eagleson, Bob Goodenow and Harold Ballard are shoo-ins for this list. Others might have Bettman here. David Frost or Mike Danton as well. But who are players/executives that have been bad for the game?

Alexei Yashin held out a million times and was worth a fraction of what he thought he deserved, some people would think that's bad. Maybe Saskin is on this list. But what people have been bad for the game?
Goodenow?????

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I cannot think of anyone who deserves as deep and dark a pit to rot in as Alan Eagleson. He should still be in jail.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Graham James and every other disgusting pervert who used their authority to abuse children.

Trailing behind are Bettman, Ballard, Wirtz, and of course, Lonny Bohonos.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Never heard anything like that before...

Here's the story
In April 2003, a woman publicly identified only as R.M. filed suit against Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd., claiming that Ballard had sexually abused her over a period of eight years. The abuse was said to have started in 1963 when she was 10 years old, and to have continued until she was 18. Her uncle had been a painter at the Gardens, and R.M. said she didn't come forward sooner because Ballard had threatened to fire him if she had. She sought damages of $2 million. The suit was settled in March 2006 for an undisclosed amount.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Now that you mention it,. I do have a vague memory of seeing something about that on TV...

Really?

Wikipedia said:
Child molestation accusations
In April 2003, a woman publicly identified only as R.M. filed suit against Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd., claiming that Ballard had sexually abused her over a period of eight years. The abuse was said to have started in 1963 when she was 10 years old, and to have continued until she was 18. Her uncle had been a painter at the Gardens, and R.M. said she didn't come forward sooner because Ballard had threatened to fire him if she had. She sought damages of $2 million. The suit was settled in March 2006 for an undisclosed amount.[5]

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Graham James and Harold Ballard are on a league of their own.

Then the Wirtz, Eagleson comes by. The Little M shouldn't have saved him back in the days.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site

I wouldn't put Goodenow on that list, not for a second. For years Eagleson played tooth fairy to the owners in keeping player salaries and advancements to a minimum, while at the same time directly stealing from the players he was supposed to be representing.
Goodenow came in and offered the players something they'd never had before - a leader who was going to actually stand up to the owners and get the players a bigger piece of the pie.
If you know the history of the NHL and the way the players were treated since the inception of the NHL, you'd understand why having someone actually looking out for their best interests was so appealing.

If I had to choose a few names I'd go with (Jolly) Jack Adams, Bruce Norris, Harold Ballard and Alan Eagleson just to name a few...

Jungosi

Jan 14, 2007
Rendsburg / Germany
For me it's definitly Ballard , he's the worst thing that could ever happen to a team but Wirtz is close

Besides those two there are of course the usual suspects.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
If the child abuse allegations surrounding Ballard are true, then I think he steps into a stratosphere all his own. Not only was he a total ******* who ran a great franchise into the ground and ruined the lives of many people associated with it, but on a personal level, he was just a horrible, horrible person.

Roger's Pancreas*

The only names that come to mind are David Frost and Bill Wirtz. Frost was just a piece of crap, in general, and Wirtz single-handedly ran the Blackhawks into the ground as a result of his penny pinching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad