• Matthew Wood

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Other (name in comments)

Votes: 70 33.7%

• Total voters

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
No, he and Cole are different types of players. I was comparing the discourse.

And there have been plenty of small point producing CHLers that have gone one to 0lay major roles on cup winning teams. So I'm going ti have to hear more than that a prospect is a small CHLer to get turned off of them. Patrick Kane and Braden Point are two examples.

why do you keep comparing his potential to hall of famers and jr stars, when he is neither? The W had a lot of offense this year, its not a shutdown league at all.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
why do you keep comparing his potential to hall of famers and jr stars, when he is neither? The W had a lot of offense this year, its not a shutdown league at all.

I'm not comparing him to Hall of Famer. You specifically said he won't be good because he's a small CHL producer. I just stated a fact that small point producing CHLers have gone on to be in your words Hall of famers.

So if you want to say Zach Benson isn't going to be a good NHLers or even a hall of Famer, just by the facts, you're going to have make a better argument than saying he's a small point producing CHLer.

Simple question, let's see if you won't continue to dodge it: do you have any other reasons in your argument than he's a small point producing CHLer, or is that all you got?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
These 5 are clearly my best player available. (If we disregard Michkov :cry: )

If we want to go with pure upside (and pray we can develop him): Matthew Wood

If we want a safe player to become an impact player and fill a need:
David Reinbacher

If we want the best mix of talent and a difference maker:
Zach Benson

If we want the type of guy you can win many Stanley Cups with because he is intense, skilled and compete hard:
Ryan Leonard

If you like center with two way, size and a nice shot altough not much star upside:
Dalibor Dvorsky

Reactions: Weber Fan

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
I'm not comparing him to Hall of Famer. You specifically said he won't be good because he's a small CHL producer. I just stated a fact that small point producing CHLers have gone on to be in your words Hall of famers.

So if you want to say Zach Benson isn't going to be a good NHLers or even a hall of Famer, just by the facts, you're going to have make a better argument than saying he's a small point producing CHLer.

Simple question, let's see if you won't continue to dodge it: do you have any other reasons in your argument than he's a small point producing CHLer, or is that all you got?

But I never said he wouldn't be good, I said he's not worth burning a #5 pick over, if they grabbed him or Heidt with another first round pick at 17 or below, cool beans. I've been to a ton of WHL games this year, I've seen Benson, and all these kids play a fair amount.. there's nothing here we don't already have in the system with Roy, Kidney etc. There is no way he displaces a Smith or Mitchkov at 5 if they are available, not in a million years, and nobody will convince me otherwise. Anyone that suggests he should be in consideration at 5 should be fired from NHL scouting.

We do not need another undersized prospect at this point, unless his name is Michkov. The talent gap between smith, Michkov and Benson is night and day, not even remotely close for me.

Benson is a dime a dozen WHL offensive talent , I don't get the hype at all.

Reactions: Runner77

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
But I never said he wouldn't be good, I said he's not worth burning a #5 pick over, if they grabbed him or Heidt with another first round pick at 17 or below, cool beans. I've been to a ton of WHL games this year, I've seen Benson, and all these kids play a fair amount.. there's nothing here we don't already have in the system with Roy, Kidney etc. There is no way he displaces a Smith or Mitchkov at 5 if they are available, not in a million years, and nobody will convince me otherwise. Anyone that suggests he should be in consideration at 5 should be fired from NHL scouting.

We do not need another undersized prospect at this point, unless his name is Michkov. The talent gap between smith, Michkov and Benson is night and day, not even remotely close for me.

Benson is a dime a dozen WHL offensive talent , I don't get the hype at all.
Ok, if you've seen him play I can understand you having your own opinion, even if others differ. I fully respect your opinion and appreciate hearing your perspective.

I don't have the viewing experience, or knowledge of how to project prospects, to come up with my own opinion, but have been reading and watching a lot of what others are saying.

I have been seeing a lot of positives about Will Smith lately, so am less worried about missing out on Michkov or Carlsson.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Ok, if you've seen him play I can understand you having your own opinion, even if others differ. I fully respect your opinion and appreciate hearing your perspective.

I don't have the viewing experience, or knowledge of how to project prospects, to come up with my own opinion, but have been reading and watching a lot of what others are saying.

I have been seeing a lot of positives about Will Smith lately, so am less worried about missing out on Michkov or Carlsson.

I also totally take Benson before Riley Heidt to be fair, but for me the W is a real inigma the last two years. Remember when the Q had those offensive dynamos that couldn't take it to the NHL years ago? Reminds me of those days. To be honest I'm glad I'm not a scout because these kids are indeed talented, and to understand what is the difference maker in taking it to the next level is a science I for sure do not know either. You need either outstanding skill, or that nice balance of skill and size. Do you think Roy or Kidney will be NHL'ers and to what role if so? Roy looks like he has the vision to be a player.

Reactions: Runner77 and 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I also totally take Benson before Riley Heidt to be fair, but for me the W is a real inigma the last two years. Remember when the Q had those offensive dynamos that couldn't take it to the NHL years ago? Reminds me of those days. To be honest I'm glad I'm not a scout because these kids are indeed talented, and to understand what is the difference maker in taking it to the next level is a science I for sure do not know either. You need either outstanding skill, or that nice balance of skill and size. Do you think Roy or Kidney will be NHL'ers and to what role if so? Roy looks like he has the vision to be a player.

I'm still hopeful for Roy to become top 6 because he seems to have the IQ and humility to keep learning. But I still see him as a bonus as I feel our top 9/12 on the wings could already be set for about 6 years:

Caufield - Suzuki - Smith/Michkov/Carlsson
Dubois - Dach - Slaf
RHP - ______ - Anderson
Heineman - Evan's- Ylonen.

Kidney is just an even bigger long shot bonus. If he's a top 9 NHLer after 3 years in the AHL, great. If he's not, well I wasn't expecting him to be.

Reactions: Runner77 and Habs

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
I'm still hopeful for Roy to become top 6 because he seems to have the IQ and humility to keep learning. But I still see him as a bonus as I feel our top 9/12 on the wings could already be set for about 6 years:

Dubois - Dach - Slaf
RHP - ______ - Anderson

Kidney is just an even bigger long shot bonus. If he's a top 9 NHLer after 3 years in the AHL, great. If he's not, well I wasn't expecting him to be.

I'm feeling about the same

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Dubois - Dach - Slaf
RHP - ______ - Anderson

Probably shouldn't include Anderson if we are talking 6 years as a time frame and I'd almost certainly swap Dubois and the 5th OA to balance the lines better but overall I agree that if we get Dubois and draft a forward with the 5th OA then our forward group is pretty much set.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Curious guys..........besides Bedard, who else in the top 5 are ready to step into the NHL?

I think there are several in the top-10 that could play, but very few that would benefit from it. I'd guess the following:

Bedard - NHL ready
Fantilli - 1yr NCAA/NHL bottom-6
Carlsson - 1yr SHL/NHL bottom-6
Michkov - 3yr KHL
Smith - 2yr NCAA
Reinbacher - 2yr AHL/SHL
Dvorsky - 1-2yr SHL/AHL
Benson - 2yr CHL
Leonard - 2yr NCAA
Wood - 2yr NCAA

Reactions: BLONG7

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Probably shouldn't include Anderson if we are talking 6 years as a time frame and I'd almost certainly swap Dubois and the 5th OA to balance the lines better but overall I agree that if we get Dubois and draft a forward with the 5th OA then our forward group is pretty much set.

Given Anderson's speed and continued progression, I could very well see him being an effective 3rd liner until he's 35. But it definitely isn't a sure thing...

I just like the idea of Smith with Cole and Nick, if he's our pick, in spite of him being a right shot and not as big as Slaf and PLD. But anyways these things would work themselves out based on the chemistry on the ice.

Reactions: Sorinth

Jul 6, 2016
Beside Bedard ans maybe Fantilli, I don't see any 1st rounder in the NHL next season. Most of them are 1 to 3 seasons away.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Beside Bedard ans maybe Fantilli, I don't see any 1st rounder in the NHL next season. Most of them are 1 to 3 seasons away.

Don’t think Reinbacher has a contract for next year, he would eligible to play in the Ahl and who knows maybe a few games on a recall.

Carlsson could make the jump, as long as he isn’t in a prominent role.

Now are they ready ? Probably not and I agree with you, Bedard should be the only one and if Fantilli doesn’t go back to college he’ll be there too.

Other than those names I fail to see anyone who could play in the NHL next year and let alone be ready for it.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Given Anderson's speed and continued progression, I could very well see him being an effective 3rd liner until he's 35. But it definitely isn't a sure thing...

I just like the idea of Smith with Cole and Nick, if he's our pick, in spite of him being a right shot and not as big as Slaf and PLD. But anyways these things would work themselves out based on the chemistry on the ice.
We keep hearing about Anderson's progression. He defends a bit better and now plays a style of game designed to keep him in the lineup.
That's it. His playmaking and vision haven't changed and it doesn't seem like he is poised to hit career bests anytime soon. For me his performance as a whole is lukewarm at best.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We keep hearing about Anderson's progression. He defends a bit better and now plays a style of game designed to keep him in the lineup.
That's it. His playmaking and vision haven't changed and it doesn't seem like he is poised to hit career bests anytime soon. For me his performance as a whole is lukewarm at best.
Ever since we called up RHP, he looked like a totally different player to me. I once did an analysis of his production and he produced at a 30 goals and something like 57 points pace over 82 games. I forget how many games it was in, but it was impressive.

I hope he continues to play with RHP on a 3rd line and let's see how many points and goals he can put up. I'd be happy with 25+ goals and 48+ points. But I think he's actually capable of more.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Ever since we called up RHP, he looked like a totally different player to me. I once did an analysis of his production and he produced at a 30 goals and something like 57 points pace over 82 games. I forget how many games it was in, but it was impressive.

I hope he continues to play with RHP on a 3rd line and let's see how many points and goals he can put up. I'd be happy with 25+ goals and 48+ points. But I think he's actually capable of more.
That would be a career high and he would be very hard pressed to do that on a third line.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If you like center with two way, size and a nice shot altough not much star upside:
Dalibor Dvorsky
We’ve had over 30 years of forwards with “not much star upside”.

Tired of it. Swing for the fences using that 5th pick as a piece in a trade or do whatever else is needed to come out of this draft with that star first liner who can be a lethal offensice force.

Reactions: yianik

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It’s average in most games but his contract isn’t that big a liability either.

Everyone wants to trade Anderson (and Edmundson, for that matter) which I’m on board with, esp. if we can walk away with a palatable return.

However a considerable amount of size and toughness would exit with an Anderson and Edmundson trade — let’s make sure there are incoming assets to help maintain that balance of size and grit.

Reactions: Rapala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad