Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Matthew Wood

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Other (name in comments)

Votes: 70 33.7%

• Total voters

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
With these options? Pending the severity of Reinbacher's knee injury, I think I'd go:

Dvorsky
Reinbacher
Leonard
Benson

Wood

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If this team picks Zac benson I’m going to say such awful disgusting things I’ll be banned for life and you will all finally be rid of me.
Wouldn’t that be kind of redundant given your usual fare?

Not that I’m complaining. :laugh:

Surprised that your opening statement about Benson didn’t even include a “Rudy” qualifier. :sarcasm:

• Love
Reactions: Habs and holy

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Draft Michkov. Then make a deal with SKA to give them money, booze and some stud Russian players named Mikael Hoffmanov, Bogdan Gallaghov and Joeloslav Armiachev to let us take Michkov sooner.

I know you're joking but just so other's don't think we can buy out Michkov's contract.

It has to be the player and the team has to agree. Montreal cannot pay SKA.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
My official vote is Michkov.

He should be similar to what Kucherov is for Tampa, just a better version, which is too hard to pass on, IMO.

He would be a bonafide star in the city.

Reactions: ReHabs and Runner77

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

He should be similar to what Kucherov is for Tampa, just a better version, which is too hard to pass on, IMO.

yet some wouldn't give up Florida 1st and Harris to move up and take him over WIll Smith...

Reactions: ReHabs

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Yes, yes, I'm familiar with this type of discourse from when we drafted the smurf Caufield.
You aren’t really comparing him to cole
Are you ? Lol. Small chl point producers are a dime a dozen , he is no cole caufield

Reactions: Runner77

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Saying he'll be a better version of Kucherov is pushing it. Kucherov has the highest points total for a winger since Jagr and has two over 30 point playoffs. He's been the second best forward after McDavid this last decade. They've got similar builds and skills for sure, though and that's very likely to be Michkovs potential, but there's a long road to get there.

Dach Vader

The Dachside
Mar 31, 2021
I only know Wood by name.

I like all of those prospects. Getting any of these guys at pick #6 or #7 would have been fine.

at #5, I'd go with Benson for his offense and compete. I hear only good things and he's top 4-5 on a few lists. 5'10 is really not that small. He just needs some time to fill out and get stronger.

Reactions: No More Subban

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Saying he'll be a better version of Kucherov is pushing it. Kucherov has the highest points total for a winger since Jagr and has two over 30 point playoffs. He's been the second best forward after McDavid this last decade. They've got similar builds and skills for sure, though and that's very likely to be Michkovs potential, but there's a long road to get there.

Yeah for sure.

Well, he has better production at the same age by a fair margin, which is what I am going off of.

Anything is possible I would expect similar stats and play style in his prime, maybe even better, and maybe worse.

Reactions: ReHabs

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If Smith or Carlsson still there that's our pick. If not, screw Michkov and Benson. Trade down to team like St.Loyis, pick up another Dach. Draft either Dvorsky or Leonard. One has to be there.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
yet some wouldn't give up Florida 1st and Harris to move up and take him over WIll Smith...
What's the delta between Smith and Michkov's upside, what's the delta between Smith and Michkov's perceived outcome (ie what is their likely end outcome), what's the delta between Smith and Michkov's bust potential (incl. Not Coming Over potential)? etc.

I think Smith is a sincerely worse prospect than Michkov, to the point that he's a clear tier below the Top4 but he's also not so far that it's worth moving from 5 to 4, imo.

If Smith or Carlsson still there that's our pick. If not, screw Michkov and Benson. Trade down to team like St.Loyis, pick up another Dach. Draft either Dvorsky or Leonard. One has to be there.
Why screw Michkov and Benson? What's the thinking there?

Reactions: HabbyGuy

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
it's gonna be Smith or Reinbacher/Sandin Pellika. Michkov ain't making it to 5

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Why the hell would the Habs go for a D? This would be a colossal mistake, again.

Next year's draft, the Habs can focus on getting a D. Not this year.

Because #1D especially #1 RHD are valuable and Reinbacher can definitely be that.

If your scouts believe he could be a 1, it's better than a middle 6 forward.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Who is St. Louis's Dach that we'd get in that trade?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
By all accounts there is a very clear top 5 in this draft

Since we have the #5 pick - sounds like outside of Chicago, we have the easiest pick to make. Whoever's left.

Reactions: 1909

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
By all accounts there is a very clear top 5 in this draft

Since we have the #5 pick - sounds like outside of Chicago, we have the easiest pick to make. Whoever's left.
I wouldn't say by all accounts.

Many had a different 5th outside of the big 4, especially before the u18's. Should one small tournament against poor competition change everything?

I hope Will Smith is the real deal. I don't know enough about him. His stats look great. But he's playing with two other players that will go very high in this draft: Leonard and Perreault. So I can't only go on stats. There was a line in London once where they all killed it on the stat sheet: Patrick Kane, Sam Gagner, and Sergei Kostitsyn. Gagner even went 6th overall. But only Kane was good.

And even if Smith has the 5th highest rated, I don't know what the perceived drop off is from 4 to 5. So at the end of the day, like with Slaf last year and KK before, we'll just have to wait and see who they select, and then wait and see for a few years plus if that player is good. If we got one of the big 4, I'd feel much more comfortable during that long wait. For that wait though, hopefully something about Smith jumps out to ease my anxiety - or we get one of the big 4 by one dropping or move up.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You aren’t really comparing him to cole
Are you ? Lol. Small chl point producers are a dime a dozen , he is no cole caufield

No, he and Cole are different types of players. I was comparing the discourse.

And there have been plenty of small point producing CHLers that have gone one to 0lay major roles on cup winning teams. So I'm going ti have to hear more than that a prospect is a small CHLer to get turned off of them. Patrick Kane and Braden Point are two examples.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad