Who´s the best Swedish hockey player ever?

Who´s the best Swedish hockey player ever?

• Peter Forsberg

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • Nicklas Lidström

Votes: 150 73.5%
  • Henrik Lundqvist

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Mats Sundin

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Markus Näslund

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kent Nilsson

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Henrik Zetterberg

• Daniel Alfredsson

• Börje Salming

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Sven "Tumba" Johansson

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
Let´s get down to it. I know 95% of Swedes and about 80% of Europeans know Peter Forsberg is the best Swede ever. But what about the NA crowd?

Last edited:

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I'm a big Sundin fan, but the best two are Lidstrom and Forsberg. Mats is the next best.

I'd say Lidstrom. Durability should count as well. He had a longer career than Forsberg and played at a very high level for much of it.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Forsberg quite easily for me.

European here aggreeing to this.

Sadly those injuries ruined alot of what could of been but despite thar forsberg did great things. His wjc record will likely stay untouched.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Lidström easily. Seven Norris trophies, ten-time first All-star team member, Conn Smythe and the list goes on and on.

Forsberg was a beast and one of my all-time favorites but his career was cut short by injuries and that has to be taken in to account especially when compared against someone like Lidström. I do understand if many Swedes or Europeans would pick Forsberg as internationally he was the more impressive player but in the NHL, where the vast majority of their career took place, Lidström should be the clear winner.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
People keep talking about injuries, when the question is "Who is the best Swedish Hockey player ever". Not "who was the most healthy/durable Swedish Hockey player ever".

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
For a sec there I thought you might be bias towards Forsberg OP. I say Lidstrom, longevity and very high level of play during that time.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I'm a big Sundin fan, but the best two are Lidstrom and Forsberg. Mats is the next best.

I'd say Lidstrom. Durability should count as well. He had a longer career than Forsberg and played at a very high level for much of it.

Salming over Sundin too. Sundin, Alfie, Z and Lundy are all surprisingly close to each other in my books.

For the poll, it's Lids. Even with perfect health, I'm not sure Foppa could have beaten Lidas.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
This is Lidstrom. And I am Swedish ...

But if you're strictly asking about peak, then I'd might say Forsberg.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I hate to put it like this but anyone who thinks Lidstrom was actually a better hockey player than Forsberg is simply wrong.

Reactions: Future GOAT

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I hate to put it like this but anyone who thinks Lidstrom was actually a better hockey player than Forsberg is simply wrong.

Hmm, this is not necessarily true even if we go by peak (although I'd be inclined to agree with Fobba being better) but if we're taking all careers in to consideration, Lids is by and far the greatest/best Swedish player ever. I do understand your POV but even with the limited view where injuries don't matter, the difference is not superbly clear.

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
Salming over Sundin too. Sundin, Alfie, Z and Lundy are all surprisingly close to each other in my books.

For the poll, it's Lids. Even with perfect health, I'm not sure Foppa could have beaten Lidas.

Yes he would 100%

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Peak is Forsberg. But with all the injuries to Foppa and the amazing longevity of Lidstrom, I have to pick him.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Yes he would 100%

Most likely he would have, he was that good. But the difference is not as big as most of us think off hand. Lids was able to string together pretty great seasons too.

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
It´s closer between Forsberg and Sundin than between Forsberg and Lidström so far in this poll which is sad.

Forsberg
Lidström

Nilsson/Sundin/Salming/Lundqvist/Karlsson
Zetterberg/Alfredsson/Näslund/Hedman

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Peter Forsberg, nobody touches his peak. I think Lidstrom had a bit of luck winning all those trophies during an era where the competition wasn't all that strong. Chara sure, but Phaneuf, Zubov and others were top three for some of those years.

Bit surprising that Pronger doesn't have a stronger Norris trophy record though. He really was incredible. Maybe he was more of a playoff beast.

Karlsson will enter this discussion soon.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Your opinion is not a fact, bud. Lidstrom is one of the greatest defenceman of all time and is, in my opinion, the greatest swede of all time.

Lidstrom had the better career, but it also helps that he was the best defenseman of one of the weaker eras for competition on defense, and on top of that consistently played on a stacked two way team. Lidstrom was amazing, better than most at his peak, but he was in no way a more dominating or valuable player if both were healthy. We saw what Forsberg did in the playoffs, he was otherwordly. Lidstrom's ability to stay healthy and his consistency is what separates him from most, but at their best there were quite a few better.

Reactions: Future GOAT

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Lidstrom had the better career, but it also helps that he was the best defenseman of one of the weaker eras for competition on defense, and on top of that consistently played on a stacked two way team. Lidstrom was amazing, better than most at his peak, but he was in no way a more dominating or valuable player if both were healthy. We saw what Forsberg did in the playoffs, he was otherwordly. Lidstrom's ability to stay healthy and his consistency is what separates him from most, but at their best there were quite a few better.
IF both were healthy, forsberg is a more dominating and talented player. Lidstrom has 7 less points in his career, as a defenseman, so obviously Foppa couldnt stay healthy enough to be the greatest swede of all time. Lidstrom played on a stacked two way team... maybe thats because they had the best defenceman in the league every season? What about forsberg, who played on arguably the greatest team ever? Dont think that helped? At lidstroms best, there were very few that were better.
Weaker era for defenseman which includes Pronger, Nidermayer, chara, weber, Leetch, Blake, Bourque, Maccinnis, Chelios etc etc etc. 20 years in the hardest league in the world (woulda been 21 but the lockout). 6th alltime in career points for a defenseman, 7 norris trophies and first european captain in NHL history to lead his team to cup.

Im not saying youre wrong (like you said to anybody who would prefer lidstrom), im just saying theres clearly an argument for Lidstrom over Foppa. I chose Lidstrom because his career is better than Forsbergs and their primes saw them both get rewarded equally. Both are triple gold members, Fosberg has 2 stanley cups, Lidstrom has 4. Forsberg has a hart and an art ross, Lidstrom has a Conn Smythe.

If you really think its cut and dry, id say youre likely just bias. Its not an easy choice to make, and for you to pretend somebody is wrong for preferring the other well that only says something about you.

Reactions: NickLidstrom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino