OT: Which threads blow you away? The great jersey debate

Socrates Karmanos

May 21, 2022
Maybe unpopular opinion, but I’m generally just not a fan of black in general. None of the league’s black jerseys are my favorites and that includes the 3rd. The black helmet, pants, and gloves with the red jersey was an abomination to me.

I know we’ll probably never see a major shake up in the brand, but I wouldn’t mind some tweaks to the color scheme and the swirl logo. Simplifying the logo could modernize it a bit.

Reactions: DaveG

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
So I have previously thought on how I would tweak the jerseys if need be, and this is what I've come up with:

View attachment 572634

Couple changes here.

1 - Use the C with flags in it as the captaincy patch. Stupid that we aren't already doing that. Introduce one for the A that has a similar treatment.

2 - Standardized the width of the flag pattern stripe to that of the current aways, and shrink the black-white-flag-white-black border to the same dimensions of the current black-flags-black stripe on those aways. Same design and dimension on the sleeves, just removing the sublimated flags.

3 - Standardizing aways to be the same stripe pattern of the tweaked homes. Standardized the hurricane logo on the crest of both, and flipped the silver outline to black to create a better visual border.

4 - Flipped the away numbers back to those of the 2013-18 set in order to better balance red and black.

5 - Current 2 flag alternate logo as shoulder patches on both homes and aways as a call back to the original 1997 set.

Thoughts?

Small tweak: the names and numbers on both the home and alternates are outlined in a different color, which gives them some depth. I'm thinking that outlining the black name and number on your away jersey with red would do the same, as well as balance out the amount of red and black on the jersey.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
@Svechhammer, I don't suppose you could make an away jersey of the stadium series design could you? I'd be interested to see that. That red eye probably looks great on a white jersey.

Thanks for the jersey mockups/designs you've posted.
StadiumSeries.png

Reactions: CandyCanes

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Small tweak: the names and numbers on both the home and alternates are outlined in a different color, which gives them some depth. I'm thinking that outlining the black name and number on your away jersey with red would do the same, as well as balance out the amount of red and black on the jersey.
I actually have it outlined in that same grey we used in 2013-2018. I tried doing the outline in red, but it went straight Blackhawks when I did....
CanesHawks.png

And then I tried red numbers like we currently have, and its a little too red heavy, at least in my opinion....

RedNumbs.png

I think the same colors we used in our most recent set is the one that brings the best balance. And if we did that, we would have a jersey that actually encompasses design elements from every away jersey we've worn previously since we moved down...

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Navy whalers is a must. I really want a team to bring back the cooperalls for one night too.

Reactions: DaveG

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I actually have it outlined in that same grey we used in 2013-2018. I tried doing the outline in red, but it went straight Blackhawks when I did....
View attachment 572666

And then I tried red numbers like we currently have, and its a little too red heavy, at least in my opinion....

View attachment 572667

I think the same colors we used in our most recent set is the one that brings the best balance. And if we did that, we would have a jersey that actually encompasses design elements from every away jersey we've worn previously since we moved down...

The problem with a light gray outline is that from afar it blends into the white of the jersey too much to be noticeable. The black outlined in red is the most aesthetically pleasing to me. The stripes on the Blackhawks aways are so different from the Canes I can't really see many zeroing in on just the numbers and thinking "they copied Chicago". But that's just me, opinions obviously differ.

1658860663880.png

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The problem with a light gray outline is that from afar it blends into the white of the jersey too much to be noticeable. The black outlined in red is the most aesthetically pleasing to me. The stripes on the Blackhawks aways are so different from the Canes I can't really see many zeroing in on just the numbers and thinking "they copied Chicago". But that's just me, opinions obviously differ.

View attachment 572689
you saying we are getting Kane?

Reactions: LakeLivin

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I remember when Reebok got on board in 2007, 2008? Everyone hated them but I thought they were fine.

I'll have to look but I think I still have a CCM long sleeved Canes shirt from 2002, came from the old team store at Crabtree Mall (near the Hello Kitty store I think?). I probably don't fit in it these days but I always thought it looked cool.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
View attachment 572666

View attachment 572667

Very nice design. Great work. That really pops.

One thing I think we should do is adding stripes on sides of pants. Maybe like a warning flag square all the way down the side of the pants. I don’t know why more teams don’t do pant stripes. Makes the jerseys look way better IMO.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Very nice design. Great work. That really pops.

One thing I think we should do is adding stripes on sides of pants. Maybe like a warning flag square all the way down the side of the pants. I don’t know why more teams don’t do pant stripes. Makes the jerseys look way better IMO.
Depends on how stripe heavy the jersey is. If its relatively plain, like Detroit, Tampa, Toronto, Philly, etc or maybe even our black alternate, I think a pant stripe could help. But if the jersey is a bit stripe heavy at the hem, like our current home red, Chicago, St Louis, etc, then keeping the pant solid prevents it from becoming too busy.

This is why I liked the black pants this year with our home red. It blended that black hem and visually removed it from the stripe pattern, simplifying the overall uniform. I thought it complemented the overall look very well.

Reactions: AD Skinner

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
A stripe of flags going down the black pants would look awesome. Doing it on the red pants might be a little busy although I'd love to see it. I will beat the drum forever than the flags should be THE Hurricanes design element however it gets incorporated

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I will beat the drum forever than the flags should be THE Hurricanes design element however it gets incorporated
100% agreed. If anything, I'd support raising the red stripe from the hem on the alternates and flipping it from a heathered pattern to the same sublimated flag pattern we have on the aways. Compare:

AltTweak.jpg

Its a simple fix, but one that I think brings a bit of harmony with all our current jerseys.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
And I do love the flag pattern, but I think we have to be careful on how we execute it because it can turn busy in a hurry. The red and black pattern that we originally used was awesome, but I wouldn't use it with the black trim with white and silver stripes again. That combination was a bit too much. However, I think it could work with the template of the current away where the design itself is pretty simple and basic. Otherwise, just do the sublimated pattern where its definitely there and you can see if up close, but helps keeps the look visually clear and simplified from afar.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Put me in the "Please No!" camp with respect to stripes on the pants. I know the Rangers pants are iconic but I hate them. To me they scream Little Lord Fauntleroy, and I don't even know what that means, lol.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Put me in the "Please No!" camp with respect to stripes on the pants. I know the Rangers pants are iconic but I hate them. To me they scream Little Lord Fauntleroy, and I don't even know what that means, lol.

Tell me you are old without telling me you are old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad